Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
somewhen banner 2.png

WPv1bRr.png
Inspiration

This is a Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2) inspired RPG with dungeon diving, resource gathering, and town building mechanics.

WPv1bRr.png
Goal & Premise

In Somewhen, you must help Idyll and company restore a fractured world with an uncertain future using a curious time-travelling train and a little something called the Conductor. Your goal is to quite literally reshape the future by placing homes, trees, and other structures in the present to effect the future. Use the Conductor to commandeer a very special time-travelling. double-headed train called the Halcyon to hit certain pre-requisites and pass through 7 chapters each filled with a different adventure. I want the player to take world restoration into their own hands by collecting hundreds of items and building their own towns in which to migrate special NPCs to, as well as enjoy a familiar and lively battle system inspired by Chrono Trigger.

A deadly force that aptly named itself Zeitgeist is using deadly magics that seem to cross time and space! Four major towns have seemingly disappeared and transformed into barren wastelands with no real explanation. Giant crystals called Sandstone are growing at a wild rate in their place, along with several monster nests. Surviving folk are seemingly more forgetful these days and live in the only remaining town carefree. With the outside world laid to waste, could it be possible that Zeitgeist is trying to use his foul time magics to change the outcome of the future by wiping out the past and present?! Only time will tell.

1604868054189.png
WPv1bRr.png
MANIPULATE TIME AND SANDSTONES

Not all Sandstone crystals that lie around in the world are a major threat--they're also a useful tool! Equip and combine Sandstone shards to unlock new Skills. The right combination may unlock even more power or even manipulate time itself in battle! Use the Halcyon's special utilities to craft better weapons and items called Trinkets that make use of the Sandstone's power!

WPv1bRr.png
GO TO THE PAST

Collect a huge array of materials from four strange dungeons that seemingly wind time back. The further you go, the more time is unwound! Safely exit a dungeon at any floor and return where you picked off for easy access. Leave behind drills and other tools to mine for even more resources while you go out and do other things like collect and trade Baseball Cards or even Fish.

WPv1bRr.png
PROTECT THE PRESENT

Use a system called Geo-Config in four themed towns to place objects both living and non-living and influence the town by moving would be participating NPCs from the main town and into the towns you built! Flip-flop between past and future to uncover the secrets of Somewhen and stop Zeitgeist from erasing the world as you know it!

SAVE THE FUTURE!!
Save the world's flickering future by defeating Zeitgeist and bring back the light!!

DoublePog.gif

WPv1bRr.png
Screenshots

GIFs and other large image formats can be seen on Somewhen's Twitter page or itch.io.

1604866138802.png1604866659938.png1604866420078.png
1604866773072.png
1604884859824.png1604866480979.png
1604866508322.png
1609635160116.png
1609635253637.png
je8Nxug.gif

TgwqCmq.gif
DjGYvWK.gif

fRqnDR1.gif
WPv1bRr.png
Demo

UPDATE 11/21/2021: Stress Test 2 tech demo removed in preparation for new demo.
A tech demo is coming to you soon!
It will be available on itch.io, as planned.

WPv1bRr.png
Social Media

You can find SOMEWHEN on:
Twitter
GameJolt
Steam

WPv1bRr.png
Credits & Special Thanks

Sundial Shark Logo.pngSundial Shark Team
Nezzy (Owner, Audio Director)
Sai (Co-Owner, Programmer)
Watson (Animations Director, Programmer)
Glitch (Quality Assurance)
Vindi (Art Director, Concept Artist)

Asset & Tool Creators
FinalBossBlues
SelieltheShaper
VexedEnigma
7Soul
Avy
Cyangmou
Beast Pixels
Hyohnoo
CodeManu
HenrySoftware
GabrielCortabez
Kronbitz

Plugin Authors
Moghunter
Yanfly
Irina
YED
EST
SRD
STV
Galv
Hudell
Caethyril
MrTS
Victor
Hime
Olivia
Tsukimi
Yami
Ramza
BreakerZero

Special Thank You!
Archeia
Baz

Last edited:

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
Looks very impressive! I'm definitely following on itchio. I always thought Dark Cloud's building/rpg mix had tons of potential. I'm happy to see that potential in play here!

SundialShark

To Idyllic Times
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update 01/02/2021

Added a new trailer and a few screenshots as well as social media links.

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've seen enough Dark (the Netflix series) to know this will be an outstandingly good premise.

KillerPixEEL

Killer Pixeel Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Was curious if you were looking for any pixel artist for the game?

Ise no Kaml

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Um...okay, wow. I just came on the forums to look for good plugins to make my own Dark Cloud spiritual successor, but I ended up coming across something to keep my eye on for its own merits. I don't know how you got Dark Cloud town building to work in RPG Maker, but that fact alone blows my mind. And while the battles look like they take after Chrono Trigger more, that helps set this project aside as its own thing...plus, they look awesome as hell.

Needless to say, I now have a money catapult on standby for when this finally gets finished.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This looks super charming, and from your descriptions it sounds very fun as well. I like the outlines on the characters, it's a small thing and I could see why some people might not, but it adds a certain style that I just enjoy. Whenever the demo comes out I want to check it out for sure.

Makeratore

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, this game looks so great!

I was wondering how you did the placing objects/houses feature. Did you use a plugin to move stuff around? If so, which one?

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont know what to do, but there are some errors,
when I got into the menu, go to equip and press equip, an error pops up,
when you go to item, the green icon cannot go down, even with the
the one with 8 or 10 icons on the right side.

when clicking on the item, a popup comes, but I cannot use the item,
or place the item, so I have no idea how it exactly everything works.

some menu items are double like party and skills I believe, but you cannot
press right to get to the previous icon.

so a bit explanation tutorial how it works can be nice though.

SundialShark

To Idyllic Times
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, this game looks so great!

I was wondering how you did the placing objects/houses feature. Did you use a plugin to move stuff around? If so, which one?
I use a modified EST Build and Decor EX suite. Easily my most favorite plugin series. Definitely check it out! I had to change a lot of the plugin to let me build with just the current player's position versus the mouse's as well as a slew of other changes to make it Somewhen's own, like a building preview window.

I dont know what to do, but there are some errors,
when I got into the menu, go to equip and press equip, an error pops up,
when you go to item, the green icon cannot go down, even with the
the one with 8 or 10 icons on the right side.

when clicking on the item, a popup comes, but I cannot use the item,
or place the item, so I have no idea how it exactly everything works.

some menu items are double like party and skills I believe, but you cannot
press right to get to the previous icon.

so a bit explanation tutorial how it works can be nice though.

Yeaaaaah, sorry about that. That old prototype on itch is pretty busted. I meant to disable the menu altogether cause it wasn't done but honestly that version's very much rushed. I've since fixed those errors and made it easier to understand the controls. Please look forward to the actual demo!

Makeratore

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use a modified EST Build and Decor EX suite. Easily my most favorite plugin series. Definitely check it out! I had to change a lot of the plugin to let me build with just the current player's position versus the mouse's as well as a slew of other changes to make it Somewhen's own, like a building preview window.

Oh, those are great plugins! Did you modify the Build and Decor series by yourself?

TwentyFree

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the art style!
And base/town building would be a cool thing!

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game looks incredible! If we weren't here I'd never have even guessed it was RM. Nice work!

ShiraCheshire

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, I wish to visit idyllic times... The design of this looks so cute! That music is going to be stuck in my head.

I downloaded the stress test. FPS usually high 50s low 60s, sometimes dropping into high 40s (usually when using the rest function.) Was a relief to find that I could move around faster with Q!

SundialShark

To Idyllic Times
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
TgwqCmq.gif

Update 11/21/2021:
-
Updated main thread to look a little better, added new screenshots.
- Multiple performance upgrades, attack animation optimizations, Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo controller support, controller vibration, and features have been added since Stress Test 2 including, but not limited to a dungeon travel system, a skill equip system, and weapon attachment and enemy weakness screens.
- Took down Stress 2 demo off of itch in preparation for a whole new type of demo. Stay tuned!

Oh, those are great plugins! Did you modify the Build and Decor series by yourself?

I did! Took a lot of trial and error, but I eventually learned how to make my own add-ons for it as well as my very own plugins totally separate to it. I feel super accomplished!
Ah, I wish to visit idyllic times... The design of this looks so cute! That music is going to be stuck in my head.

I downloaded the stress test. FPS usually high 50s low 60s, sometimes dropping into high 40s (usually when using the rest function.) Was a relief to find that I could move around faster with Q!

Thank you for the feedback! Hopefully a few optimizations I did will better the FPS, but I'm happy with it hovering around 50-60 with all that's going on. The controls definitely need work, haha.

SundialShark

To Idyllic Times
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's some more screenshots of the now fully-fledged cooking scene as well as a sneak peek into a new dungeon as well as the Georama system!

uaiLVdw.gif
D8ZWpBV.gif

tH2EmrT.gif

PixelatedBree

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh! I've seen your stuff on Reddit and was majorly impressed, particularly with that beautiful cooking animation. Dark Cloud 2 is one of my all-time favorite games because it had so many different things to do, all of which I loved, so I'm really looking forward to this! Especially since it's made with MV!

Can't wait for the new demo!

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, looks so impressive! Can't wait for demo.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've figured out how to reasonably tall-ify chibi sprites on my editor. I like that making tall sprites gives me control on expressing how tall characters seem on the field relative to each other as well as better differentiate adult sprites from child sprites.
doing some wacky experimental stuff in MV right now :kaoluv: I cannot wait to drop what I've been working on
Doing RPG Maker News for this week. (January 14th - 20th, 2022)

My brother keeps saying," Women in his story act crazy because women are crazy." That's one way to make sure that the only woman in his life will be the retirement caregiver nurse that has to change his bedpan.
I have uploaded my Pastel Life tileset to MV resources on the forum.
The set is made to be Easy to Edit and absolutely Child Friendly.

The set is far from finished, so there will be updated coming up...
Here is a little preview, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demure_Hero