Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

bannerz.jpg

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
"Souls of Arcania" takes inspiration from the JRPGs of old (early SNES to late NES era) and it focuses on crafting your own bosses.

Yup, you get to craft the very bosses you encounter. You get "ingredients" from normal enemy drops, and craft an item to summon the boss. Other details regarding this feature coming soon.

Another main feature is instead of levelling up through gaining experience, enemy drops "souls". You take these souls to a certain shrine to "trade" them for various stat-increasing items. Each stat increased adds one level to the character, too. Think Dark Souls but much simpler.

Current progress is around 50%. I have mainly done all the graphics, animations, maps, and music (yes, also the music) all by myself and i haven't integrated them within the engine itself yet. I am also unsure as to whether put up a crowdfunding campaign for it or just finish it through out of my own pockets. What do you think? Would you play something like this? Website coming up soon!

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

screenie1.jpg
screenie2.jpg
screenie3.jpg
screenie4.jpg
screenie5.jpg
screenie6.jpg

CHARACTERS
Characters in Souls of Arcania are intentionally 2-dimensional. They don't have any defining characteristics other than the current class / job they are in. However, their stories and the story of the game itself will unfold as the player plays the game (told through events, items, fights, etc)
  • Vermilion Paladin - A mysterious human knight who was part of the brave warriors who sealed the malevolent Toran centuries ago. Well versed in Holy Magicks and Skills.
  • Ancient Elemental - She joined the Paladin in his quest in order to restore balance in nature and in the entirety of Demi-Gaia. Controls the elements and uses them as powerful, offensive spells.
  • Heretic Lich - Reluctantly, the otherwise villainous Lich decided to join the Paladin's party to collect souls that he needed for his immortality ritual. Focuses on invoking ally creatures in battle and the use of forbidden magicks.
  • Rogue Lycan - Part of a wolf-like race called the Lycans, he joined Paladin only due to his thirst for adventure. His extensive experience in his travels has taught him all the necessary skills.

STORYLINE/PLOT
Eons ago, Toran, the embodiment of evil from the corrupted hearts of Demi-Gaians, disrupted the balance between good and evil which resulted in the decay of everything. In order to counter this, four brave individuals from distinct races band together and summoned forth neutral, multi-dimensional beings called the Itherians; in order to have their souls willingly sacrificed and seal Toran for good. The four heroic individuals were honored as gods and were treated as such by their respective races. However, one of them, the Ancient Elemental, still feels Toran's presence lingering; so they have decided to willingly die and asked to be entombed near Toran's prison, just so they can be resurrected when the need arises.

All was well in the world for hundreds of years until an unknown creature broke the seals of the Itherians which resulted in the release of Toran. This time, Toran made sure that he is not to be sealed again by searching for and corrupting the hearts of the Itherians themselves. The Itherians, ethereal in nature, can not be harmed through physical or magical means unless they are contained in a physical body. Demi-Gaia is in ruins once again.

Gohrab, a 100 year old scholar from Arcania -- the continent from where Toran was sealed, used the last of his magicks to resurrect the four brave heroes. Unfortunately, his failing magic can only resurrect three of them; but it will not stop the heroes to search for ways bring the Itherians to justice.

And there you have it. I'll be updating this page regularly. By the way, while my username is CatFyre Games, this was thought of years ago and now i have a better, established name (Caotic Pixel Studios). Dunno if it's possible to change my username here, though.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll approve this thread, but I recommend adding some more description beyond the cool gameplay features you've detailed - maybe a little bit about the story and/or characters, or the world/setting it takes place in?

The game sounds fun. Crafting your own bosses (which in turn drop even better crafting materials, or rare items) is a really cool concept! The souls sound nifty too, though you might want to cut out the middleman and allow the player to simply pick a character to give the stat increase to when they trade in the souls at a shrine, instead of needing to get the item, go into the menu, and use the item on a character.

Hard to say about kickstarter vs. fund it yourself. I tend to like funding it myself if I can, because it makes it so that I'm not beholden to anyone, I can work at my own pace. If you can't afford what you want to do, obviously Kickstarter is a good way to go - plus, it has the benefit of assuring a baseline level of sales before you need to commit to finishing the game, so you don't spend $5,000 making a game and then it sells 80 copies and only returns a fifth of your investment.

CatFyre_Games

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength
Thank you for approving the post, and thank you for the feedback! Regarding the distribution of stats directly instead of having some kind of middleman, as soon as i'm well - versed in RPG Maker MV (i'm a veteran user of another, more complicated engine and just recently got my hands dirty in RMMV) then i'll think about it!

Sort of out-of-topic question -- i've been uploading my screenshots directly here and therefore using storage space from the forum itself; is this okay? Or is it recommended that i link the images instead?

Thank you!

[EDIT]: Another question -- can i change / update the title of the topic itself? Something like <Updated info!> ..Sorry,i've been a lurker in this forum for years and this is my first time being really active.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Sort of out-of-topic question -- i've been uploading my screenshots directly here and therefore using storage space from the forum itself; is this okay? Or is it recommended that i link the images instead?
That's totally fine. Just know there's a limit to how much you can upload that way per post. I doubt you'll run into trouble with it for this game thread though.

[EDIT]: Another question -- can i change / update the title of the topic itself? Something like <Updated info!> ..Sorry,i've been a lurker in this forum for years and this is my first time being really active.
Click on ... -> Edit Thread and you'll be able to change your thread's title.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

SA51K_SHADER_IDLE.gifZombie is not the only thing people turned into in this town. There is also something else here. Something has many different names in history, the plague, the black oil, the purity, the filth. And now, it's called the shade.
(Maybe too much X-File reference. :kaojoy:)
Thanks, google for putting together a random pixel art Olympics game in your logo that puts everything I've ever done to shame in pretty much every aspect. ;)
Chizuru
chizuru.png

anyway, i just recovered from Covid.
Work's been delayed for a month but now i'm back drawing again.
Ah yes i learned how to make name boxes Im now profeshonal
The snowy mountains in my game are finally done... what a crazy journey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vectoria