RMVXA Sovereignty: TCG

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Tarq, May 3, 2017.

1. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Download:
    Non-RTP: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrzc6tjjwhxe63b/Sovereignty V5.2.2.exe?dl=0

Synopsis:
    This a trading card game built in RM; Just one of those weird systems I felt like making to quell the whole ~'all RM games are the same' noise. Tbh, I never really planned on going any further with it once I made the base systems but its a project I enjoy over my others.
    The system operates like some of the bigger names TCGs (Magic, YuGiOh) and is pretty simple to pick up if you've played any of those extensively.

There's currently a pool of 113 cards:
    - 37 Troop cards
    - 10 Officer cards (Stronger troops that require a sacrifice to play)
    - 52 Command cards (Magic cards)
    - 6 Battlefield cards
    - 8 Counter cards

Story:
    (This game was made for the system so this side of things isn't well-developed yet)
    The world is post-Blight; an undetermined time after a nuclear war which has destroyed many lines of production, especially those of complex technologies. With ingrained terror of physical violence, arguments of any level are resolved through a simple card game. A neo-feudalism has since emerged where those able to access supplies or the means of production are largely unopposed due to bleak circumstances and a bleaker future leading to apathy and exhaustion from bystanders.

Characters:
    You are the heir to a small house. With supplies dwindling you hope to consolidate your family's future by entering the Justice Department.

NPCs:
    ???:
    Skulking around the city is a man with a hidden identity. From the colour of his hair it is clear he has not been affected by the Blight.

Eren:
    Following the death of her brother Eren also aspires to join the Justice Department. She is a foil to the main character who's motives are more Machiavellian.

Cuthbert:
    Borderline heretical; A would-be engineer tinkering with the machine's of the Old Ones.

Victoria:
    A sickly child in a world without medicine. She can't help but maintain a positive attitude as this is the only lifestyle she has ever known.

(A couple more will likely be added)

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    Screeny of the overworld.
    [​IMG]
    Screeny of the skirmish screen.
    [​IMG]
    You're given a reminder of each card before you play it so you don't have to memorize your deck.
    [​IMG]
    That's right, you can actually trade cards in this trading card game.
    [​IMG]
    Too many fonts, but man I love this screen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Actually, now this is my favourite screen :3

Trailer:

Credits:
    RMVXA engine provided by Degica/EB!
    Assets from XP, VXA & MV RTP.
    Tsukihime's Equippable Limits script.
    Rikifive for a whole lot of help with the menus.

Planned Updates:
    -Improved enemy AI.
    -Larger card pool.
    -Redesign cards.

Known Issues:
    Nothing significant known at this point.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey,
    So, quite a lot of work done on this over the last month. I appreciate its bad form but if you want indepth information check out this thread where I post more regularly ( http://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/40033-sovereignty-tcg/page-2#entry284044 ). If you don't want to do that then just settle for the knoweldge that the game is better in pretty much all aspects; AI, card pool, story, auxiliary mechanics, just everything.

The link in the main post has been updated. If anyone plays it then let me know what you think.

ydoolb likes this.
  3. Dutch Power Creations

Dutch Power Creations Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Just another card game :troll:

kaukusaki likes this.
  4. Titris Thrawns

Titris Thrawns It's a trap! ...Or is it? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey-O! I gave your game a go this past week and figured I'd throw a few of my notes at you! Overall, I enjoyed making my deck and stomping the AI opponents. Especially with Dragon Supremius, or however it's spelled :mrsatan:.

Mechanical notes:
    ~The opening screen goes by too fast. I was able to read up to the Justice Department then screen went to name input. I ended up restarting 3 times cause to read it all:guffaw:.
    ~No Music at the beginning is sad. Maybe just a RTP filler at low volume? The silence was deafening!
    ~I forgot to write down your helpful advice about setting up the deck first. I had fun automatically losing a handful of times before I got wise and created a deck! Maybe a quick textbox to tell the player to go set up their deck before the map screen? That way scrubs like me get wise quick!
    ~To go along with the Set-up deck text, maybe a quick tutorial of what happens each phase. Engage is self-explanatory, but Withdraw and Rally just swish across the screen and left me scratching my head.
    ~While I like command cards, it would be nice to see the battle system upgraded to have HP for monsters. Once 90s are in play, the game goes stalemate(Rather, Player wins by attrition due to deck size), or it's a wait/hope that you packed a legendary. Element weaknesses would be an awesome addition to deck strategy.
    ~It would be nice to be able to back out of an attack. A few times I would accidentally select my big hitter and be forced to crush a 30-40power mob instead of letting my weaker summons take care of it.
    ~I was able to use Dragon Supremus without the appropriate crystal power. I also noticed I was refunded a bit when I sacrificed a man-eating plant to summon Drago.
    Feedback4.png

~For heuristics sake, can the command line select be looped? That is, instead of having to hit right arrow key 4-5 times to select end phase, can we hit left arrow once?

Graphical Notes:
    ~I look like page: I like it, but was sad that part of the sprite graphic & glow is cut off.
    Feedback1.png

~To go along with the above, parts of text is cut off. Which is sad. Hopefully an easy fix!
    Feedback2.png

~Looking at cards in the Town area lead to some graphical overlay issues.
    Feedback3.png

Hope that helps! The cards and flavor text was fun. Would be even more fun to have the Justice Department keep track of how many times I hunted down that Black Hat Scarface and whooped him. Good luck with your project!

Tarq likes this.
  5. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey Titris Thrawns, thanks for giving the game a go, it means a great deal to me.

Your feedback was very useful and I've fixed the issues you've encountered as well as acting on some of your suggestions. I won't be providing a new link for a while though so anyone else who plays will have to suffer through for a little while longer >.<
    HP was something a couple of other people have requested so its something I'm going to have to sit down and seriously think about at some point. If I was to implement it then elements could also be another worthwhile system.

As for other stuff I've been working on,its mostly been AI; more intelligent targetting, playing command cards and performing tribute summoning, and, most importantly, when to do these things. It mostly works but the game hangs sometimes or acts erratically and that's why I'd rather not provide an update with this post. I suppose if people ask for it though and are happy to tolerate the bugs then there's not harm in it.

Thanks again though Titris Thrawns, if you need a playtester in the future then be sure to pm me :)

6. Rinober

Rinober Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looking good so far, one can tell there must be a lot of work put into a project like this. However, I must admit that I've seen better TCG graphics/designs in an RPG Maker game already, which might be worked on a bit. I'm thinking of this one: https://rpgmaker.net/games/5808/
    Apart from that, keep up the good work :)

7. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    EDIT: Gave this a bout of testing earlier and, tbh, it is incredibly unstable and I wouldn't recommend playing it, atm. I'll leave the link up as it is possible, if you get very lucky, to play without issue but I'd only suggest doing so to new viewers who just want an idea of how the game runs. A link to an older stable build can be provided on request. I'll keep trucking though and let you guys know when its in a playable state again T_T
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey, so haven't been around here for a while huh? Lost the spirit for a bit tbh. Been working on it again for the last month or so and have a pretty huge update though. Ill just copy/paste what I wrote last night on the other forums.
    (Also, since there's been a flurry of games named Sovereignty recently, including an RM one, I'm looking for a new name if anyone has any suggestions)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There's quite a lot to get through and I'm pretty tired so I'll condense it down for now. Here's the link for the new build first of all: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr65nx4s6nhcvwc/Sovereignty V4.exe?dl=0

AI
    The elephant in the room. Some progress made. Targets much more, well, intelligently. Can also play a handful of command cards now but needs revision before they play them optimally. One half-built deck is still shared by all enemies and is really intended for the fellow in the hat.

Tutorial
    Well, it exists. You can watch it from the title screen.

Cutscenes
    There's a handful more of those pre-Skirmish VNesque cutscenes. Also added an option for skipping them to spare you my lousy writing. Oh, and I crudely animated them talking :3

Menus
    DECKS COME READYMADE NOW!!!
    You can now remove cards from your deck in deckbuilding. There's also a little tally in the top right so you know how many cards are currently in your deck. The stats screen is also up and running. Here's a thousand words: [​IMG]

Cards
    Since the last release there's an additional 13 command cards,as detailed below. A few are based on drawing but there's some cool ones in there :p
    Camouflage: Select a card. Whenever this card is attacked flip a coin, if heads the card is destroyed, if tails attacked is avoided.
    TelescopicSight: Select a card with a dmg of 50 or below. This card can attack directly.
    Erupt: Flip a coin, if heads reduce the dmg of all enemy troops by 20.
    Enfeeble: Select a card. The next time this card is attacked it is destroyed. Standard damage calculations apply.
    InterceptOrders: Select an opponents summoned troop to control for the remainder of this turn.
    ImposedMartyrdom: The user discards a card from their hand and draws a new one.
    FreshDispatch (no artwork): Player discards their hand redraws the same no. from their deck
    PrivateParty (broken currently): All summoned troops with dmg greater than 50 are returned to the users hand.
    Pillage: The user discards a card from their hand and draws two cards.
    Mercenary(lvl1): Summons a token with 50 dmg to field.
    DiplomaticStrike: The enemy's Influence regen is stalled for five turns.
    ExtraRations: The user discards a card from their hand and draws a new one. (different Influence cost to ImposedMartyrdom)
    Burst: Select a card. This card gains 100 dmg for the rest of this turn and loses 150 afterwards.

And then there's just the misc stuff like bugfixes and that nifty little animation at the start of Skirmishes.

So, what's next? Well, there's some stuff in this post that still needs finishing like the cutscenes and card bits. Also concerned making so many changes in so brief a time will have made the game less stable so I'm going to have a few lengthy testing sessions.

As for the long-term though, I'll be upping the AI while finishing/personalising each enemy's decks and I'd also like to redesign the cards to look less 'made by me'. So that should keep me busy for a while. Also liked an idea that Takeo212 suggested, iirc, about card rarity that wouldn't take too long to implement.

rjwcmervkeofmw,erw,hdewvdemr n w;clmwrovqpdmfgvc p2gvcmeqfcm
    Sorry, head hit the keys. G'night.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  8. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  9. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Three weeks already huh? No wonder I have so much stuff to show off here.

Art:
    I've added an icon to the overworld so folks know where to buy booster packs from. Also animated those icons. Just 'cause.

The big thing though is the change to all the menu screens (except the inventory, which I haven't gotten 'round to yet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dont they look gorgeous? Well a big shout out to @Rikifive who basically took my garbage and made it infinitely better; Going to add you to the credits as a (far too small!) token of appreciation. Thanks again, bud.

Gameplay:
    Now here's where stuff gets good.
    [​IMG]

Ever notice how every trading card game focusses entirely on the combat? Really. I'm pretty sure this has never been put in a digital TCG; its crazy huh?

[​IMG]

Implemented @Takeo212 's card rarity suggestion. Also used it to piggyback a doubler check for collector types.

The AI's a little better again and can play two more command cards and can play more cards per turn (there's a bit of a graphical glitch in that regard where it looks like its getting multiple turns but I'll have that fixed soon, promise!)

There's also a further 11 additions to the cardpool (93 total) with a pretty even split between troop and command cards since I'd only been adding command cards for a while. (Not in this update but I also have plans for a new type of card which has a lot of promise so keep your eye open for the next update)

Hmm, I know there's been other stuff but I can't remember it. Well, you'll see if you play I guess. As ever, thoughts, feedback,bug reports all hugely appreciated.

Here's the new link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzv8r5s6rlyfwfv/Sovereignty V5.exe?dl=0

Guiguimu likes this.
  10. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just dropping by to say Sovereignty now has over 100 cards! (read: 101)

I'm not providing a new build today as the new cards need more work done but I will show the new card type I mentioned in the last update. Battlefield cards!
    [​IMG]
    ...yes.Trow cards. Can't count to trow yet? GitGud.
    [​IMG] (I dont have a background for this one yet)
    Each of these cards make some slight changes how the game is played and can have a significant impact on playstyle/deckbuilding. The change in background image was just for funsies :p

I also have plans for another new card type that is going to do way more to up the strategy and dynamics but that is going to require some big changes to the base systems which I'm not willing to mess around with for, jeez, at least another week :3
    Man, how far this has come since the first prototype.

Marquise* likes this.
  11. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    cool beans :thumbsup-left::D:thumbsup-right:

12. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I wanted to make the game a little more UX-friendly this time around so here's a list of some of the changes in that regard:
    -The total filesize for the game is about 40% of what it was previously. There's room to reduce it further but it'll take a little more legwork.
    -Changed all the cutscenes/tutorial to have player input instead of autorun.
    -Streamlined the load option from the title screen so that it goes straight into the game instead of having to go to another screen to select the savefile.
    -I added some graphical transitions between screens after seeing that nifty tutorial of TheoAllen's.
    -In skirmishes the game will automatically skip your engage phase if you don't have any troops summoned to spare you the extra scrolling.
    -Defeated troops in the graveyard stop moving. Something Chibievil said in their LP that, while it never bothered me previously, made too much sense to ignore afterward.
    -Various windows have been resized/moved around to look slightly nicer as well.
    -There's these little card icons that Rikifive intended to be used in the menus...and now they are! (mostly)

There's new cards ofc. Not just those Battlefield cards above but also Counter cards. Counter cards work like Command cards but can only be played in response to something your opponent plays (dw, the game prompts you when its okay to play them). All the new cards are available for free by going to the card shop (...the, uh, person(?) whose face is a card on the overworld).
    Actually, Provoke is not available to play yet, still needs work.
    [​IMG]

The really big news though is that the game is now BUG FREE!!!
    Okay, not quite. But all the problems that caused it to crash or sieze up during skirmishes have been solved thanks to some rejigging of the base systems while I was implementing the Counter cards. There's still some minor stuff with certain cards but I'd be surprised if anyone ran into anything serious this time.

What's that? A link, you say? Well. Alright. Just this once: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7kvn01eui6bcqe/Sovereignty V.5.1.exe?dl=0
    Don't tell your mother.

13. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Time for another update by my reckoning. (Its a touch slimmer this time around as I was a little unwell for a couple of weeks.)
    First things first. Here's the new link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qk34qrdvdmfsrvl/Sovereignty V5.2.1.exe?dl=0
    So, my favourite thing with this update is the basic time/day system I put together. It gives the player a slight suggestion of progression and allows me to make a few time-based events like weekly tournaments and card giveaways. You can see the first system in place actually; that card with a name next to it is a targetted skirmish and you get double moneys for winning in time :)
    [​IMG]
    The enemy AI can play three more cards; Two Counter cards and a Battlefield card. I'll probably start work on customizing the enemy decks/AIs for the next updateso it should be actually fun to play pretty soon.
    There's also that new shop I linked a vid for a while back:
    There's a few new cards ofc:
    Its a particularly bad update for card art :( [​IMG]

And, finally, the usual polishing and bugfixes.
    As ever, thoughts, feedback, a savoury biscuit on a brisk Tuesday afternoon, all these things (and many more besides) are appreciated.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Marquise* likes this.
  14. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The AI is now seven cards smarter and finally has a full deck of 30 to play with so I thought it worthwhile to provide a new build. I doubt I'll provide another now until I've given every NPC a personalised deck (which could take a while).

In other news, free card Wednesdays is now a thing. Just pop along to the shop on that day for a booster of your choice.

And then, just to flesh out this post a bit, here's the title screen and trailer I made recently :)
    Title:
    [​IMG]
    Trailer:
    If you want to give it a go then here's the new link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrzc6tjjwhxe63b/Sovereignty V5.2.2.exe?dl=0

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Acetonide likes this.