Space Insignia

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Creative Ed, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Creative Ed

Creative Ed Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Well Here's my entry:

http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/690#.U7H0_vldVhU

[​IMG]

Synopsis:

Space Insignia is a Top Viewed JRPG that tells the story of Devlin, a young Sergeant whom was given a simple mission: Scout a desert area of our Solar System. When he discovers something he wasn't expecting...

Features:

Action Battle System + Side View Battle System. - Engage into beat'em up battles to destroy waves of enemies, but give it time to think when you're facing a tough opponent.

Alternative menu that allows you to quickly choose your actions.

Cinematic Cutscenes: Let yourself be immersed in these Cinematic Cutscenes that will throw you right in the middle of the action!
    Warning:

Due to the lack of time, the game may have some bugs, spelling mistakes, etc throughout its gameplay.

To add to this, since half of the game was finished in one day, the game encounters a Major Bug in the Thundra 6 Level that breaks the game, since the player can't go forward in the story.

Due to the lack of time, the game is unbalanced and unpolished as well.

I encourage everyone to try the game though, since it was hard work to have it done in time, and although it can't be finnished, the playable part is worth it in my opinion.

I promise the game will be fixed once the judging period of the contest is over, and the winner has been chosen.
    Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credits:

Tile Graphics/ Character Graphics/ 3D/ Animation/ Game Design

Edgar Ferreira (Busted Ed)

(as well as some third parties for some textures)

Title/Game Over Scenes

Adriana Pereira

Scripting

Dekita (Dekita-RPG), Yanfly, Galv, Khas, MGC, Acezon

Music/Sound

João Mexia, Joel Steudler

Special Thanks:

Pedro André, André Simões

Enterbrain

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
    ?????? likes this.
  2. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks great :)

will be trying it tomorrow.

I also have to sleep lol

3. xeroborn

xeroborn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi. I tried your game out. I got to the part where you are fighting the scorpions.

The look of the game and those cinematics! holy sheep, they were really cool. I have no idea how you did that. the ship/asteroid sequence was also really good.

My suggestions would be bug squashing (but you already know that). I ran into a couple...weird... things, like you said. I got stun-locked against a wall and died the first time I tried the tutorial.

More generally, I think the pace of the game could be improved. Tightening up the individual sequences, and also making the dialogue flow a bit faster.

Impressive overall, and I hope you keep working on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  4. Creative Ed

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Hello xeroborn, thank you for trying the game out :)

I'm glad you liked the visuals :) I really put a lot of effort into it.

Yes, right now, the game is very unbalanced and has lots of bugs that can be a little annoying.

Thank you for the feedback! Yes I will continue working on it once the contest is over :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
  5. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

It crashed on me, so I can’t fully evaluate it.

It has some good presentation elements, but the actual gameplay is somewhat shaky. I say this of any games that do it, but Rpg Maker does not have a good enough hit detection to perform well as active action games, so that definitely hurts it.

The aspect of switching modes to traditional rpg is an odd choice that I don’t like, but to make matters worse the options during that mode are RIDICULOUS and extremely boring, with no strategy involved.

Within the story some things are executed poorly, such as the cheap “won the fight? Well screw you, I’ll smack you anyway” thing, or forcing you to wander around for a timed period before anything happens in the ship.

If nothing else this game seemed to have a very cared for presentation graphically, so good job on that. The sprites were a bit funny and didn’t seem very serious, but other than that it seemed nice.

More particular feedback in the video.

6. Creative Ed

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Hey, thanks for the review :)

I understand most of what you said there, since I ended up releasing it just because the deadline was almost over. I didn't really feel the game was ready for release.

Anyway, I'm actually remaking it from scratch, so a lot of things are being changed.

It's too bad you couldn't play one of the best parts that's the next one before the game crashed, but it wouldn't save the game so xP

As for the bad english I apologize, since I'm portuguese, there're allways a thing or two that come out wrong :)

?????? and Silvestre like this.