Specific event problem

Testtubebaby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello folks, I've got a specific event problem as you might have guessed from the title.

My issue is that I've got an event that runs as a parallel process in the background that runs on a wait condition, but if the player enters a different map while the event is still waiting to complete its wait condition, then the event won't turn off the required variables/switches to reset to its default state, which causes some problems. Namely, the event will begin playing again the moment the original map is entered again, but will play from the beginning of its wait cycle.

If you get what I'm trying to describe, I would love some opinions or feedback on how to get it to reset even while it's going through a "move cycle", if that's possible. I was originally thinking of using "if" arguments, but VX Ace doesn't have that option.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
everything runs in series.
nothing is ever really parallel.

if you need to have a watch on something in the background while you change maps, you'll probably need to script it above the scene object (in code terms) so that any scene can read it, and it remains active when you change scenes.
if you can't do that, try making it a set of serial processes: have each individual action have a beginning and an end.
once you manage to have that, running them in a way that feels parallel is just a matter of speeding things up.

Testtubebaby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the idea.

I did find a workaround that involved using variables and manual value handling (which I had to place in every transition point on the map), and that seems to have solved my issue.

On that note, I did find that when I was trying to use a specific switch to control this, it froze my character during the wait process even though the event is a parallel process event, meaning that my character should have been able to move around, but was unable to. The switch in question was switch 40. As for why it caused this issue, I have no idea. I was never previously assigned to anything.

That being said, the event in question uses several layered switches and variables to produce my desired results. So maybe some wires were getting crossed.

Just figured I'd put it out there.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That being said, the event in question uses several layered switches and variables to produce my desired results
there was a procedure called "handshaking" back in the days of the parallel port for PC: the data would only be exchanged between end points, after an exchange of signals had taken place.
kind of like:
A: "Data is up"
B: "Ok, reading....... "
A: "Waiting for clear."
B: "Received. Done."
A: "Ok, next data."

if you have something resembling that, that could work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

rux
The most words I have ever written in an entire document is in my game's script, jeez i have a lot of characters that ramble on
Yes! I finally did something! This is a picture I drew of what I wish I looked like; I hope that you guys like it!
Finished that egg-sitting mini-game I mentioned here a couple weeks back. Now to fix the weather system so it doesn't rain indoors while you're playing it. >.> A simple fix in itself; leave it to me to take it as an excuse to completely revamp the time/weather/lighting system from scratch.
I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DawnStar