KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
I work a lot with sprite animations, where I either need to have more than 4 different frames into the animation, or have multiple different animations for the character. However, the Change Graphic command in the Set Move Route window doesn't allow me to choose a specific graphic, only a character set.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/n5CopPG.png[/IMG]
The best way to animate under those conditions (that I have found) is to turn on a self switch (or switch) and continue the animation in a different event page. But that method has its limitations and I want to discard it.

Is there a way to change my event to a specific graphic? A script call perhaps? Or something in the commands that I have missed.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I may be mis-reading what you are saying, but it looks to me as if it's moving from the middle column to the middle column.  Unless you have a very specific reason to do otherwise, why not put your clock in the same column in both character sets?  This doesn't solve your long term problem, but will it sort out this particular one?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Look for Galv's Move Route Extras script. It allows you to choose the exact sprite in a spritesheet to use.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
Actually, the clock IS in the same column in both character sets. I purposefully changed it for the example. The problem is, that now I have 8 different spitesheets with only the middle columns filled. And I don't want to create even more, if I can avoid it.

@Shaz I'd like to avoid scripts if I can, but thank you.

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
That's probably not possible without scripts, since you would need to update @pattern without the update method resetting it the next frame.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then to do it without scripts, you will need to use multiple event pages (which allow you to select the lowest-level image from a spritesheet) and conditions to toggle between them.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
Then to do it without scripts, you will need to use multiple event pages (which allow you to select the lowest-level image from a spritesheet) and conditions to toggle between them.
That's what I already do. I stated it in question. If you mean something else, I apologize.

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
If using a self switch is too limiting for you, why don't you use a variable that you can increase on every page (using modulo to revert to 0 once you reach the last page) and use that as condition?

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
If using a self switch is too limiting for you, why don't you use a variable that you can increase on every page (using modulo to revert to 0 once you reach the last page) and use that as condition?
I do, in some situations (many in retrospect). My need is more a matter of comfort, since it's not that I cannot progress because of my problem.

Multiple event pages can be a hassle. They disrupt the flow of the commands and I try to avoid them when I can. Plus they make finding things more difficult.

Thank you however.

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
You can actually use this in your move route:

@pattern = (@pattern + 1) % 4This advances the current walking animation by 1 step. However, since the event isn't actually walking, the frame update method will reset the animation immediately afterwards. You would need to include a script to prevent that.

What you could, in theory, do is setting the event to stepping animation and timing your moveroutes with waits to execute at exact moments. But this is highly error-prone.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And also depends on the machine the game is running on, so you could take ages to get it working perfectly on YOUR machine, and have it work terribly on the next person's.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
A fellow developer has helped me with the issue. My problem is solved and we can close the topic.
Thank you ksjp17, lavra and Shaz.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

BGM playlist:

(It does not work with an open menu, as it affects events in parallel process)
sorry I've been quiet for like-- ever - A -) been dealing with constant family/personal issues. Got a wisdom tooth out today though! one less thing to deal with
Definetly a WIP but having fun with those desert tiles xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokertree23