Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi guys, 

So i am having a very specific problem with some parallax map lighting, i am going to be as  specific as possible and provide as much detail as possible to try to solve this problem.  Please provide specific instructions for dummys as i used a tutorial to do this and am still struggling to understand what i am doing wrong here or not understanding from the tutorial.  

So here is the issue, I used the lighting technique from Cec's parallax guide for my current game maps, i had always done lighting on a normal layer in my previous work and decided to test out utilizing an overlay layer under my shadow layer as the guide suggested,  The lighting does in fact look wonderful and here is an image of the final file in Photoshop called "Eternal Conflict inn test."  

However when it comes to putting the file in game i am having terrible results, the overlay layer when saved as a png loses the "overlay effect" and saves as a normal layer, which makes the lighting look all washed out and terrible.  Look at attached file "bad light."

Now the guide actually gives you instructions on how to stop this from happening, the problem is, i am following these instructions and still having the same results.  I am not sure if i am suffering from brain damage or mis-interpreting the instructions so i will provide what the instructions are

-Guides instructions:

-Hide shadow & highlight layer

-Merge all visible layers (i have tried doing this with just the overlay layer layers and every layer in the file with the exception being light and shadow)

--Unhide shadow and highlight layer

-select layer with all resources

-go to select "load selection"

-Hit delete

-You should be ready to save this image and be finished with map

I do this, and my map still looks like the "bad light" image, obviously i am doing something wrong or not understanding something, and it is bothering me to much to go back to a normal layer with low opacity as i feel the warm contrasty feel is to nice to give up, so if anyone can help me i would be grateful.

p.s 

Using orange overlay in rpg mv (doubt that matters)

Eternal conflict inn test.png

bad light.png

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This can be deleted was able to find a work around. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yeseylon wrote on ct_bolt's profile.
First language: Javascript.

Me: Is... is this a sentient AI???
"Got your game? Cause its time to duel!"

I'm so into YuGiOh these days...
(And of course the hand is awful)
Been working on this new character for the battle system It's BOSS time!
Happy Year of the Rat all! Wish everyone can achieve their dream this year
Please support my Lego Ideas Untitled Goose Game set, thanks in advance :) https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2bcb743a-1071-4f44-89f4-97ad6ec27b5d

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okno