First Language
English
Primarily Uses
~Spirit Dancer: Humanity Falls~
[RPG Maker VX Ace]
 ​
< Will be released as non-commercial >​
 ​
Demo thing I guess or something (Currently 301.22mb and 30-35min of gameplay)

Warning beforehand: This is not an easy game. If it becomes too hard, you can change the difficulty at any time in the settings menu.

Expect to die in normal mode. A lot.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h983uivqb70crx7/Spirit+Dancer+-+Humanity+Falls+Demo.zip

- - -

Redirect to my (nearly identical) recruitment thread if anyone's interested in joining the project 

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/22885-partners-for-a-cyberpunk-game/

-Changes-

[0* - 2/14/14]

-Demo finished

[1* - 2/15/14]

-Fixed catwalk passability bug

-Fixed safehouse movement bug

-Fixed bug that allows the first wolf encounter to call in reinforcements

-Fixed balloon pop timing at the LHQ

-Text skip is now space instead of shift

-Added message in item help window that lets you know if it can be used for crafting

-Reduced download size

[2* - 2/15/14]

-Fixed supply bag passability bug

-Fixed machine passability bug

-Fixed missing graphic bug

-Rebalanced enemies

[3* - 2/16/14]

-Fixed work station text error

-Fixed item typo

-Fixed store sign bug

-Fixed mission log bug

-Fixed dead person bug

-Fixed safehouse step sound bug

-Fixed furniture passability bug

-Tweaked Butterfly boss battle

[4* - 2/28/14]

-Revamped HQ and added 5 maps

-Reworked enemies

-Fixed various bugs

[Known Issues]

-Random crashes (I have no longer been able to reproduce said crashes but still may present a problem somehow)
-Characters-

[Current Protagonists]

Ana Rosenfeld: Ana used to be a fun, carefree, and energetic girl until the death of her closest friend shook her so badly that she's practically been reduced to an empty shell of a human being; part of the game will be her regaining her humanity as she meets new people. Her friend was Autumn Langston, whom she'd grown up with all her years. As they grew closer over time, her platonic love for her slowly transitioned into a romantic one but what was too afraid to express her feelings on the basis of gender. In the end, she never got to say what she wanted as Autumn was killed in an accident a week before her planned reveal. Flashback more than ten years where has Ana has since completed 10 years of service with the US Marines, contemplating thoughts of her last days in the places where her memories resonated the strongest.

Elena "Cinder" Hoscott: Elena, preferring to go by her net handle, 'Cinder,' is a sarcastic, spunky sort of character who's heavily into the rock/punk scene and has a lively but sometimes bitter personality. She lived a fairly normal life as hacker and programmer until one day, she realized that during a particularly difficult hacking stint, she'd accidentally transferred money from a notorious criminal organization who immediately traced back the virtual theft and was then forced to flee the city, at least for some time.

Ray Stadtman: (Bio in progress)

[Current Antagonists]

Elijah Raide and Nia Ensley: Elijah is a retired war veteran who quickly picked up work again as a mercenary and contract killer, doing jobs for gangs and corporations alike. Outside of work, he lived a fairly quiet and peaceful life, usually playing outside with the young daughter of his next-door neighbor, Nia Ensley, in his free time whenever he was asked to look after her while her parents were away. One day he returned home to discover that his next-door neighbors had been shot to death by gang member who were looking to repossess illegally modified cyberware that had been lent to them, save for the daughter who was held as collateral since they weren't able to locate all of the contraband. Unfamiliar with Elijah, they assumed that he was another relative of hers and demanded that he return the goods. Instead, he single-handedly crushed the gang and rescued Nia, taking the girl under his own wing after he finds out that she doesn't have any other relatives she can turn to. Elijah took her in not only as his adopted daughter, but also as an apprentice in training.

-Story-

[Chapter I - Broken Wings]

The story begins when Elijah is beginning to cut off all ties with gangs that he's worked with because he didn't want Nia to find out that he had worked with them before. Most of them are aware of his reputation so they agree without much trouble - However, one particular gang doesn't like that idea and only agree to let him off if they complete one last contract: Kill Cinder.

Under normal circumstances, Elijah would've declined their demands since he can handle himself, but was too worried about Nia's safety to do so and accepted the offer...

...As Cinder realizes her mistake, she temporarily flees town and runs off into the Ruined City to live off the grid for some time, an abandoned war-torn town rampant with overgrowth and aggressive wildlife. There, she meets Ana, who explains that she came to the Ruined City because Autumn used to take her there all the time as kids to play, Cinder goes with the flow and explains her own situation, surprised when Ana ends up offering to help her out.

This is where the story begins.

-Mechanics-

[Combat]

I'm trying to avoid random battles, replacing it with enemies who at first move around slowly and randomly and then sprint at you when they spot you, triggering a battle from any number of troops. The 'Guard' skill has been replaced with 'Tactics,' each Tactics skill giving the player a benefit for a number of turns; for example, the Take Cover skill will increase your evasion and defense rate while the Sniper skill (only usable if you have a rifle equipped) will set your target rate to zero and unlocks rifle abilities that can only be used while sniping and the Gap Closer skill (only usable if you have a melee weapon equipped) decreases your evasion but increases your counter, hit, and critical rate. Gun skills require ammo, which can be bought for cheap or found, and use cooldowns while melee weapons utilize the TP system instead. Also planning on implementing ways of defeating enemies without entering battle in some cases.

Hacking will also involve battling enemies, but you must equip weapon 'scripts' instead of actual weapons, which essentially adds weapon skills while maintaining some semblance of realism, as well as opening up weapons and abilities that you can't use outside of VR, like spears and magic spells. Hacking certain nodes may call you into a card game called Netstryke, which represents different programs facing off against each other; the minigame is very simple and easy to learn, as well as mildly addicting to play. The card monsters used will be the same monsters that you will be fighting in virtual reality.

Lots of skills are synergistic or use combos; for example, the sweep skill (which inflitcs the 'downed' state) chains into the stomp skill, which deals massive damage if the enemy is downed but does nothing if they aren't. Inflicting slow by using a certain club skill may open up the next party member in line to use 'disarm' which prevents slowed enemies from using weapon skills for a period of time and so on.

-Screens-

[Title]

vwft.png

[Maps]

73hw.png

udh7.png

hzrk.png

mb5e.png

uiprm6td7ey8pf2fg.jpg

[battle]

l4qq.png

b9n6.png

h0hq0ye86fdb4ppfg.jpg

[Other]

c675.png

havo.png

-Current Credits-

Enterbrain

[scripts]
Yanfly
Yami
Dekita
Galv
Casper
Victor
Moghunter
Tsukihime
Syvkal
Fomar
modern algebra
NeonBlack
Shadowmaster
zerbu
DiamondPlatinum3
Shanghai
Shaz
Momofumi
Kread-EX
Raizen
LB
Mithran

[Various Graphics]
Mazeran
Qut
Thalzon
Quackers
Kalez
Supercow
Timmeh
Celianna
Avy
Wrimbows

[Audio]
Eleventh Sun
Nuform
Grapes
Kevin MacLeod
Forged
CruciA
Aaron Krogh

{I know I've missed some people here, but the actual credits list when I finish the game will definitely be completely thorough}[/Audio]
[Audio] 
Don't hold back on the critiques guys! I can take it like a champ! Sort of!
*hides under covers*[/audio]

Last edited by a moderator:

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I couldn't go through until the end of the demo because I had too many crashes. I'm not sure if they are caused by your game or my computer. Maybe some other people's feedback will clear that up.

I'll start by the "bad" things:

-Shift made me skip some dialogues. Try to see if you can change the key used to skip text, this can be problematic if I lose a vital information.
-At the beginning, in the north building, second screen with the two rooms blocked by lasers, I can walk on the pit off the catwalk.
-Got several crashes before battles, but reloading my savegame didn't replicate the error. I don't know if it's the game or my computer at fault.
-And a crash while pressing the ESC key. Never happened before with any other RM game, strange.

I'm not so sure about the combats. They look too complex, too many stats to consider (at first, maybe I'll get used to it with some time).
And when dealing or receiving damage, I don't have the time to read everything. Reading the log after every round is boring.

I've found a potentially game breaker bug: when trying to leave the building of the white hair girl, Ana. Only happens when you go inside the south exit while walking in diagonal.
If the sprite is looking to a side instead of down, choosing "stay here" doesn't trigger the Move backward and I become stuck.
I found it the first time, then had to try several other times to know how I managed to get stuck. The sprite Direction should be checked (or changed) before the Move backward.

But there are good things too!

-Random loot is a nice idea!

-The crafting system is nice, but I'd like to know what could be used as an ingredient in the inventory. I used the painkillers I found to get some health, only to discover afterwards that they were ingredients for a med kit.
-I like the music. Not the kind I'd expected for the genre, but it works.

-Having different facesets for the emotions is a nice touch.

This is still a very early demo but I can see the potential for a neat game.

Keep working on it!

AtlasAtrium

I don't know anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was afraid of the crashes -_- I've playtested the game numerous times myself, sometimes with no crashes at all and sometimes with an occasional crash. Been messing around with the scripts I've been using to try and figure out what's causing it. And yeah, I mainly left the shift to skip in there for myself since I needed to playtest through my game loads and loads of times and didn't have the patience to read everything over and over again ;) And I'll have to check out some of the other issues you mentioned, thank you for your feedback! You didn't mention anything about missing graphics and when I playtested the game outside of the editor, the overlays I used weren't showing up; do the screens match in the ruined city when comparing the game to the screenshot? Because they should :| And I've never experienced a crash with the escape key either so I'm not sure what's causing that. And I do agree that all the stats and whatnot for your parameters, upgrade page, and notes tab and whatnot can get pretty overwhelming, but it's really not something you have to understand right off the bat because leveling is SLOW in this game. And about combat, I'm having trouble finding a balance between 'this is taking longer than it needs to' and 'i can't even tell what's going on,' but I'll see if I can do something about that.

Again, thank you!

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do have the overlays as intended :)

AtlasAtrium

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just redownloaded the game myself and it still doesn't show up >.>

Is it just my computer or something? <.<

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here is how I see the scene:

TyHhuW5.jpg

To me, it looks right. Something is missing?

AtlasAtrium

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The light overlays, some pieces of clutter on the ground, a patch of brush, a crack in the ground, and the stair rails are missing :| Anyway, I updated the link and everything should be showing up now.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I redownloaded but I have the same result.

However, maybe the link was not set to the new version, as the files are the same size and timestamp.

Could you confirm if your new upload is ready?

AtlasAtrium

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
oh wow you're right! i changed the link so i'm not sure what's going on ._.

it keeps redirecting to the previous game link even though i put the new one up? mediafire is being dumb -_-

OKAY should work now

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, this time I see everything.
It feels like having an enhanced version now :) .

I'll play it again tomorrow and see if I find other things for feedback.

Edit: Got through it entirely this time.
Spoiler tag used when it includes story related elements.

*Still a lot of crashes. Sorry that I can't help fix it but a lot of people will just quit because of this. That's definitely something to check.

*One funny thing with the workshop.
First time I use it, the choices are:
assemble - modify - cancel

afterwards it becomes:
assemble - upgrade - cancel

*A typo in a message when I found antibiotics:
Found Antibioitcs->Antibiotics (but correct in the inventory)

*I don't know if it's because I restart the game from a crash, but when I am on the title screen from a fresh launch (using game.exe) the default selected save is always the first, not the most recent. I have to manually check the timestamp to load the last one.

*There is a tutorial telling about two circles and pressing the A key...but I've never seen those circles.

Okay, with Ana I got the circles. Maybe you should tell about it when you play her. Or add it with Cinder and the wolves.
*This time I got a crash, not at the beginning of a fight but when I finished it.
And one when using a beverage vending machine... That doesn't seem to be related to a battle script.

After the cyber sequence, I went back and got a dialogue with Ana, then a crash : "missing file Graphics/Characters/!Flame2"
I got through by adding it myself, but that's to be fixed of course.

*When I play as Ana, Cinder and Jack are on the couch, but their heads are under the above rail.
Actually, it happens with everyone, including Ana, with every rail.
Same thing in the room in the north with Vale sleeping. The top of the head of Ana is cut by the couch.
City:
*The building just north of the starting position: I can walk behind the add on the right and when I use the Action key, I get:
missing "graphics/faces/v11"

*The cellphone thief sequence was great! I didn't expect that, pleasant surprise.

Hospital:
-After entering the door to the north, I change map and Ray says "there are more of them here than I thought." More what ? I saw nobody at that time.
-Sometimes, I got attacked twice by the same sprite.
-I only found out at this place, but when I checked the quest log, when I switch categories (left-right) I get a crash (line 1521). I can give you my savegame if you need it.
-On the map after taking the elevator (F4); central room with the stairs: I can walk on the furnitures on the side.
-By the way, having the hud displayed hides the name of the map which is displayed underneath.
-Final map with Butterfly. After beating him, if I use Action on the dead guy, he turns in my direction, eyes open... creepy ^^ A simple Direction fix will prevent that.
-I got less crashes in the hospital. Maybe just a coincidence. But I saved my game after every encounter, just to be sure.

AtlasAtrium

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks again for sticking around ^^ I'll make sure to fix what I can

(If you never saw the circles that probably means you never used any of the skills you had >.>

Also, I have no idea why the vending machine would crash, all it does it shop processing)

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's true that I don't remember having to use skills with the wolves, so I probably didn't. But I had the circles even when using the basic attack when I was in the city.

The crash I had when pressing ESC and the one with the vending machine happened only once. They may not be related to the more frequent combat crashes. I don't know.

Maybe it was just tough luck.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I think that almost four years after ghosting the forums is a good time to come back
finally redesigned one of the major antagonist of my game, Pro... aka Prometheus.
Well, I've decided I'll take a break on making Forgotten Eclipse...and Make a mod for FNF
Trailer for my new game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michefra