Spiritual consolation after you basically "jinxed yourself" with your equipment loadout

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by BreakerZero, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is passe by now but what I am interested in (in addition to my other concept in active discussion) is in relation to situations where you basically jinxed yourself with your loadout, locked the armament slot in the process and have an embarrassing side effect to go with it (a life jinx from a blade known to affect the user's life force in historical parlance, for example) and the only way out is to open up about what happened in a specific enlightenment confessional allowing for the effect to be safely neutralized and the affected loadout rescinded and properly disposed of...and ideas regarding a feasible implementation thereof.

2. MrB

MrB Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    C#
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I was messing around with cursed items. Seemingly normal Items that bind themselves to the user upon equipment, and then have to be removed with an exorcism... AKA going inside the item itself, find the source of corruption, and vanquish it.

Ended up not going with this idea, since the whole "going into items", was a bit too close to Disgaea's itemworld system.
    And it's probably extremely annoying that, while you want to progress the game, you have to do this side quest before you can continue..

3. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which I never said would have to be so involved. Even a simple implementation would do it, although a risk/reward element is worth considering now that you mention it. S***, it can even be as elaborate as a QTE model where your response rate determines what happens to the affected teammate's biologic capacity and/or maximum mana charge after the equipment is safely neutralized.

4. MrB

MrB Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    C#
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is actually really cool.

It could even affect character relations. Especially if you can make decisions that make the character stronger, but also feel more miserable afterwards.

For example, let's say there is this demon hiding in a piece of armour. When your teammate equips it, you have to go save him. But inside, you realise you can also seal the demon inside said teammate, making that member stronger(perhaps he becomes a demon class or whatever). The downside however, is that the teammate also has vivid nightmares from that point onwards, making him severely dislike the main character.

I mean, this would fit so well in a theme all around corruption.

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @BreakerZero You asked for ideas about implementation. Please note that Game Mechanics Design is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. Implementation questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using.

6. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which is what I ultimately ended up with again. Seeing that ideas have gone to actual concepts this is getting to the point of actually doing the work now so this can be continued accordingly where required.

For the purpose of design, the actual implementation phase is targeted for MV so I would defer accordingly.

EDIT: Forgot to add that it's not a plot condition - just an inconvenience.

EDIT 2: This actually happens a lot for me - I start a discussion here or elsewhere and then it gets relisted in a more suitable place, and it's usually related to progression of the request, or simply not remembering or knowing where around here is the best fit for a given idea and deferring accordingly for moderator analysis.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.