Sports RPGs anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by watermark, Jul 24, 2019.

1. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So while watching sports the other day, I thought...what if I make a sports RPG? By sports I mean like basketball, football (soccer or American), hockey, or ping-pong. It could be team sports like baseball or one-on-one sports like tennis. We could even include track and field, swimming, and figure skating. Although they're also sports, let's rule out martial arts like karate or wrestling for now as I think they are a whole genre themselves. I actually don't know any RPGs that are based off sports. Imagine you can build your say basketball "party" made up of "classes" of different stats. And then you can somehow "battle" another team using RPG mechanics as opposed to action oriented, as that would just make it a traditional sports game. In fact, many sports games today use RPG mechanics. I am thinking more the other way around, an RPG that has sports mechanics.

So my questions for discussion:

1. Would you be interested in playing a RPG (as in NOT action game) based on a sport?

2. Know any sports RPGs?

3. If you could make one, how would you design it? What features would you like to see in it?

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think it's an interesting idea and would be curious to see more on this. As for any existing one, I heard of an NES (think it was NES) game which was baseball meets an RPG. Not sure on more on that, though I heard people comment that if you found a certain weapon you could get an inside the park homerun easily as you would win all the battles at every base.

3. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just my humble opinions.
    1. In most cases, no.
    2. I saw an RPG Maker one about swimming on YouTube.
    3. See below
    If I were to make one, it would either center around managing a team (so more like a coach sim than an RPG) or have a mini-game of said sport built in and have the storyline and any "adventuring" and advancement make your character better at the mini-game.

4. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For some reason, I imagine a Persona-ish style visual novel where you follow the calendar year from draft, through season, to the big game of the year
    and all the dramas that ensue. :guffaw:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    watermark likes this.
  5. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You should check out Pyre by SuperGiantGames. It's basically Magic Basketball RPG with VN segments. And depending on how you look at it, you could consider most sports games as RPGs: You either role play as one player or the coach managing the team, your players get better the more they practice and play games, you can manage stats, strategize and even customize.

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    BTW, here is the game I was thinking of. It was a baseball game where if you were tagged out it instead triggered a battle and if you won the battle you got to continue on, but if you lost, you were out.

watermark likes this.
  7. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For sports with large teams, I'm not sure how I'd implement it into the battle system and still have it make sense. If I had to use RPG Maker for it, maybe I'd go for a boxing game with 1-vs-1 battles where each encounter is more like a puzzle to figure out.

8. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Well if you want a more traditional side-view battle system, possibly Volleyball would be one of the most fitting? You basically have six positions covering the field and both sides exchange the ball. The turn order could go like, one side serves the ball, they get to aim more or less at which position on the other side they are throwing, aiming it correctly is a sort of skill check with variance, then the next team the player whose zone the ball lends into gets to make a skill check to see if they "catch" the ball, then can throw it back to the other side or try to pass it to one of their team mates (all skill checks for passing and "catching"), if the team mate catches it's they get to go and input a command. The player can go on like that rotating the ball amongst their players with the caviat that a character can only go once every turn. A turn being the time the ball is in your side of the field. So you could do classic volley ball plays like, guy at the back catches the ball, sends it to guy at the net, who propels it upward and then guy in the middle runs forward and smashes it to the other side. It's now their turn, do they catch it? Does someone drop the ball at some point? If so, a point is scored, characters rotate positions and a new service is made.

Now I'm not a super big volleyball nerd so I might have gotten some details wrong but I could still see it working in a RPG "battle" format, either front or side view.

watermark likes this.
  9. Restart

Restart Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The team behind Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden just released B-Ball Tactics, a Tactical Turn-Based Basketball RPG

10. Redeye

Redeye Chronicles Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ehhhh, nah. Mainstream Sports in real life bore me to tears already, and I honestly don't know why sports games still exist today. Even if a Football RPG was made, I wouldn't play it purely because it's... just football. Tbh, an RPG about Football actually sounds worse than an Action Game based on Football, since the sport, itself, is supposed to be fast-paced with little tactical thinking required.