Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,

I'm trying to add in some custom sprites and could really use some constructive criticism. I made this by modifying some existing sprite generators and the animation just looks really bad in my opinion.

Specifically, I'm trying to make the character look like he's walking but instead it just looks like he's lifting up one foot then the other. I also guess I need more movement in the upper body as well.

If anyone could point me to why its not working or how to make it better that would be much appreciated.
StewardAnim.gifStewardWalk.png

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The main problem IMO is that he looks "stiff" because he only really moves at the arms and legs. Maybe try having the head and torso move down a pixel or two in frames 1 and 3. That might give it the appearance of forward momentum and some movement in the torso. Movement in the feather/hat would also help. Also, I'd shift the legs/feet up a pixel or two in frame 2. This will make the "stepping" more dramatic.

DadGuyDrawing

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! I think that helped quite a bit. What do you think?

It still ends up looking a bit like he's floating across the floor when I put him in game though.

If any other feedback, please let me know.
StewardAnim2.gifStewardWalk2.png

TheGameBrewery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That looks much better. How does it look if you speed up the animation a little?

DadGuyDrawing

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for all of the critiques and help. I thought that the profile would be a cinch after incorporating what I learned in the front view, but it looks quite bad still.

Any thoughts on how I could improve this?
1607288939606.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
on the img from post 4..

the right hand looks better than the left hand, more detailed, the part when the hand is at front
Screenshot_1.png
the rest is fine on that one

on img from post 6

the lefthand(front of body) moves more than the righthand(behind the body)..
And the feet from the 3rd img look weard compared to the feet from the first img..
there is no air betwen the feet that makes the visible problem

I am working on sprites myself and think helpfull criticism
is better than beeing very Kind .. kindness doesnt give much advice...
but for custom sprites thats allready really good..
I do mostly work with existing parts and mirroring ect in order to be more equal on both sides..
example cuted arms :
(left and right have edited arms ..middle is default middle sprite)
Screenshot_2.png

other example, mirrored arm to put the arm up:
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_6.png
i cuted the arm , mirrored it and put it on the right position

Of course this will conflict with generator assets , thats why i normaly only do this on finished chars where the clothes ect are allready on the body..
(this was only to show it better)

These examples are from my try to make motions for use magic and use item on Map outside of SV
..(replacing SV motions)

edit
check out this testing sprite tool..

also ill attach a pink grid IMG that can be used to copy over and undo copy..
in order to check all positions..
This one is oversize, from the char sprite topic which i store in my signature spoiler ..

(
link from spoiler)..
But it can easyly be resized to any img size using 3x4 frames

Attachments

Last edited:

DadGuyDrawing

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you @Dopan that helps a lot. I agree, substance is much more useful than kindness and your post achieves both of those.

I'm going to go over your post in more detail and try to re-work the sprite. Thank you for the tips and resources!

DadGuyDrawing

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here is the updated version of the profile sprite. I think it looks better. I think the problem was I started by just extending a chibi sprite and the bone structure looked unnatural. I erased and redrew the legs to more natural angles and redid the boots so the toes are pointed up when he walks like a more natural heel strike, as opposed to a more flat-footed stomping. Also added the feather in which gives it a little bit more dynamism I think.

Still a bit wonky, but better I think.
stewardProfile.gif
1608047610280.png

Testtubebaby

Wizard of the woods
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Still a bit wonky, but better I think.
If you'd like my honest opinion on this particular walk cycle:
- The right frame (frame 3) has a bit too dramatic of a shift in the lines on the shirt. Perhaps mild down the movement so it's more subtle.
- His feet look like he's skating because the shading makes me think that his feet are moving from left to right as well as moving forward and back. I believe this is caused by a combination of the waist line dropping too much on frame 3 and the left foot (closer one) having too heavy of shading when outstretched (frame 1) and extended (frame 3).
- I feel like his legs split a bit too much in frame 1, which contributes to the skating look.
- Frame 3 sort of looks like he's going cross-legged. I believe this is being caused by the front leg bending too much and the right leg (back one) not coming back far enough behind him.
- If you'd like to make the torso appear to be twisting slightly while he is walking, I recommend moving the shoulders forward/backward 1 pixel to help accentuate this movement.

It's a great start otherwise. The fine tweaking often takes longer than the creation of the sprite itself, I find.

I'd also like to add an opinion on post 4:
- The slight deviation to the right (since he is facing you, your left) on the one frame (frame 1) makes it look like he is limping to me, or taking a more dramatic step with his right leg than with his left.

I hope this is helpful. I look forward to seeing how you progress from here.

Edit: sorry, one more little nitpick based on personal opinion:
- I think he would benefit from a little bit of highlighting/blending done to his beard in the side view.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@DadGuyDrawing

here 2 other links that might be usefull:

Universal-LPC-Spritesheet-Character-Generator
( has a lot of frames and some of them can be rearanged in order to use less frames or get other results, or the chars can be used as bases)
=> i resized them 20% bigger , and edited the default heads from rpg mv, a bit less "fat/chibi"..
( i did that so i can use the face imgs and the heads that i make with the normal generator.. i dislike most of the LPC faces.. while LPCs helmets that hide the face/eyes are ok^^.. that way i can use both because it looks less chibi with edited heads)
than i frankensprited on them..
Edited Face/eyes
Screenshot_1.png
Edit Heads ( cuted out 2 lines of pixels )
(normal rpg mv heads are larger in width)

Screenshot_2.png
ingame Example
(left top char with dark eyes is the default head size which looks to fat in my oppinnion.. that was an earlier try)

Screenshot_3.png
(pls ignore the pink grid^^)
i working on that to make about 20-30 chars for 4directional weapon usage..
=> the LPC generator has very well made bow animations on 4Dierections
other 1 handed weapon animations are easier to make ..

--
also this tool could be usefull :

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

After hearing Wataten's opening several times and knowing what this anime is about, I don't think I like moe anymore.
So I am working on a big DLC package for my game.... and it will add a new intro and extend the ending of the base game, while of course adding additional content to the game... Yeah, that should work! lol
I'm stuck, I'm making some of Mr. N's Dialogue but I can't finish his full Dialogue...heres what I got now [this is the part I'm stuck on] "You treat me like a
bug, I'M SICK OF IT, you had me make these...abominations...well, now..." and at the "Well, now...' part I'm stuck at, anyone got Ideas?
Ami
--- Top Up ---

Merchant: Diamond Sword cost 100 Diamonds
F.Magic Knight
: I don't have Diamonds,what should we do?
M.Knight: I don't have any choice,i have to Buy Diamonds with my Card
F.Magic Knight
: You do?
(M.Knight's Balance Just Have 1.25)
M.Knight: (Chuckle) Maybe,later…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubadin