Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hello all!

I am here to sing the praises of Unity's Sprite Baker Studio plugin.

It allows one to take a 3D model and animation, and put them onto a sprite sheet. It can also export each frame as png.

I've been going hard trying to find good pixel art battlers, and I saw how Dead Cells made their sprites: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...D_pipeline_for_2D_animation_in_Dead_Cells.php

So it dawned on me to try using 3D models at low resolutions + a retro shader (PSXEffects).

Original model: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/strong-knight-9d912e0fedb44b619fbd2a083bbf174f
What I came up with:
If you're willing to mess around with it, it could be a cost effective way for some great battlers... if you're into the style, that is. I'll probably have all battle sprites in this fashion.

I'm sure you could also throw on an anime style toon shader or something. Might even be helpful to those of you making 3D stuff in RMMV/MZ

There's a few video tutorials, but I may do one if I have the time

Last edited:

Copywright

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Not sure if this counts as a double post?

bit of a update:
Went from 20 frames to 60 frames per animations. make it a bit more obvious that it's 3D, but I dont really mind. I'll need to figure out how to have battlebacks made that support the 3d illusion.

EDIT: But, I might get even more 2D. I have this awesome sprite from the model, but can't seem to get it to that resolution :/
I'll figure it out.

EDIT: Started on another guy. This one is closer to a sprite, i turned down antialiasing a ton. I'll expirement with it until I get a consistent style.

Finished the next character:

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Woah this looks so great! Me want ^^

Copywright

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Haha, thanks. After I get the hang of it, maybe I'll share some sprite sheets.

I'm not sure if it'll fit RPG Maker dimension limits...

one more update, another character down:
Maybe two more characters and I'll focus on gameplay.'

original models:

I'll have to tweak the sizing of the sprites a bit, so they're uniform.

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Like I see this and how fluid it comes to you, you might never ever wanna stop. LOL

Copywright

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other

Working on a few archer units. These are trickier and require a bit more code to get right. Right now, the arrow is just in her hand. I have to fix it so that she pulls one out of a quiver on her back, then loads.

I'll also have to grab a single sprite of the arrow for when it fires... troublesome, troublesome

I also have to fix up the blockiness on the dithering, but i'm focused on getting animations right first.

these might take a while. after this, I have 2-3 axe warriors and 2 lance units.

I'm leaving mounted units for last, because those will be even worse than the archers... the more things to animate, the more of a pain it is. the end result is worth it though.

original model: https://www.renderhub.com/rip-van-winkle/jade-from-mortal-kombat-11
the bow: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/oathbow-26d7af320c6e4d3290df4bc8ba1b1862

totally not royalty free, but it should be fine for now. you totally cant tell that's even her, right? :aswt:

---

As for these animations, I am NOT doing them manually.

Many are free from Mixamo. Like this archery pack, is from "Pro Longbow Pack", which is free. Plus, thousands of other animations. Not only that, you can upload a 3D model to mixamo and it automatically rigs it for animations (not all models come ready to animated), which is what I did for Jade. ".obj" files work best.

Others I bought from the Asset Store:

I'm pretty much playing these animations frame-by-frame and shooting from a 90-130 degree angle to mimic a sideview battler. All with SBS.

ofc, you have to place objects in their hands and do extra work, sometimes. but, beats paying for cool animations by a long mile.

which will cut down the animation work, but will suck because I'll have to animate the rider and horse at the same time.

anyway, i'll be using this guy for my mounted units: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/animals/horse-animset-pro-riding-system-79902

Last edited:

Copywright

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other

Pretty much done with the archer. Took some doin' to get small details, like arrow spawning after hand passes the quiver and arrow disappearing after firing. The bowstring is so thin, but I had to have it move with the hand and release back into place after firing... and you can barely see it.

Even got a decent 13 frame spinning arrow sprite to work with. probably need to make it a little longer.

I have to fix her dodge animation, she's supposed to dodge in-place but the animation itself is moving. which will be trouble when I switch to another one.

more coming soon. the units i mentioned before, plus i might experiment with adding particle effects to the sword attacks, etc.

Last edited:

Copywright

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other

It's funny what a better background can do. Last update for a while, I'll post when I've gotten way farther.

Copywright

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other

Last update, since i can't really post here. front-view.

clearer quality:

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
I love them. Since you seems to go beyond any expectations toward animations in games, I wouldn't be too afraid about your archer. I didn't looked from where the arrow came from, I just saw it seemed realistic picking. Like sportive archer.

Copywright

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other

Using them more as references for a pixel artist now. While it is a really dope effect, the disconnect between the map and the battle scene is a bit too much to overcome.

maybe in a future game.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Going to start a new project today. OMG, it will be on RPGMaker MV. :D
Paid material WIP~
EysZO9cVEAEWy9W

This is Alchemy pack.
I decided to add more witch elements.

Now we have wooden props, candles, pots, and potion bottles.
We also want to add herbs, kettles, fireplaces, etc.
First posts! Maybe I can use this update?
Using MV here: can i move blocks around in the event page and i'm just too stupid to do it or does it only look like you should be able to do it and i would always need to cut and paste?
Aba, aba chgb rtb fhz.
Ubp rfg hahz qr snohyvf srpv, cbfg bzarf.
Rtb vhfghf ibyb hg ivtvyb ubp hahz rk yhqb.
Qbarp fvathyvf yhqvb yhqvhf cbgrfg, aba zntvf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dusktactics