Sprite base

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Bumblefish97, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bumblefish97

Bumblefish97 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looking for feedback on my attempt at doing a sprite base. I think I've got the shading okay and proportions but I don't know if I've drawn it in a way that I can add bones and animate it with Spriter, also not too sure how I'd go about doing the base facing different directions.

[​IMG]

2. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced girl who will lurk from now on Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla/Bengali
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't see the image 0_0

3. Bumblefish97

First Language:
    English

4. Hyouryuu-Na

First Language:
    Bangla/Bengali
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, now I can see. Proportions seem fine. I suppose this is just a draft? The left shoulder is a bit pointier than the right, the chest looks a bit off in the right side. The curve of the waist on the right is higher than the left and the right foot looks to be abit behind the left. Fix those and you'll be good to go. I guess this is the look you're going for but how about a bit narrower and longer neck? Right now its as wide as the body.
    Even if yoy want to use it in spriter, you need to draw the left or right facing sprite from scratch. Just draw one direction and flip it. Just tge idle pose will do as you will animate it anyway. And no need to work on the upward facing sprite from scratch. You can just copy this one and change the feet, chest and head a little.
    Good luck!

Edit: right arm looks longer than the left

5. Bumblefish97

First Language:
    English
    Yeah I think the arm is slightly longer because I did the hand wrong on the left so copied and pasted the one from the right but put it too far up the arm. I also wasn't sure if I put the legs too close together to animate them. As for drawing sideview, what's the best way to do it? Should I do the head shape slightly smaller as it's from the side or just sloped a bit?

6. Hyouryuu-Na

First Language:
    Bangla/Bengali
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't have any experience with pixel art or spriting. Others will be able to help you better. But I think the height should be the same. You can look at tall sprite bases to get an idea... like Kaizer base or Ragnarok online bases

7. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The best way to keep a sprite symmetrical is to just create one side as if the character was split down the middle. Once you're happy with it copy, paste, and flip to make it a whole! You can always adjust easily if you made things on different layers. If the eyes are too close, push them apart, experimenting and making mistakes is how everyone learns.
    The only other feedback I can give is that the eyes look very pixeled compared to the shading of the body, which looks a bit off.
    I've never used Spriter before, but it seems that how it works is that each body part that bends should be a separate piece(so once the base is complete, make a copy and start snipping out the separate parts and saving those as different image files). For example for the arm you'll need: Upper arm, Lower Arm, and Hand.
    I'm absolutely no expert though, so it's best if you do a bit of research on this. :):thumbsup-right:
    Looks pretty great so far though, best of luck! :kaohi:

8. Bumblefish97

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I think once I've made some adjustments to the base and done the other directions I can separate it into parts for Spriter. The eyes for me worked best with pixels whereas for the skin, because I'm not good at the regular kind of pixel skin shading, I put splotches of colour where it seemed they should be and then used a Gaussian blur.

SmashArtist likes this.
  9. Bumblefish97

First Language:
    English

Done the back view of the base, still can't figure out side view