Sprite Creator Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Carmiella, May 25, 2019.

1. Carmiella

Carmiella Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello! I am trying to get into making my own sprites but I am very unprepared to make them from scratch. Because of this I wanted to know what programs you guys would recommend I try out.

I was looking at Game Character Hub on Steam but it's got a lot of poor reviews that refer to how little there is to actually work with, so I think I might pass on that one. But if anyone knows of any similarly easy to use programs I could check out I'd super appreciate it!

I use VX Ace in case that helps :)

2. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  3. Carmiella

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This seems very helpful, thank you! I will certainly give it a try :)

4. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Correction: The outdated version supports tall sprites- the current one only does VX Ace's default "chibi" style

5. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    GCH is a generator, it's not for sprite creation. Did you just want generator suggestions or are you looking for something that would be a half step between a generator and an art program?

If that's what you're after, I actually do suggest looking into the art programs. You don't have to use them to start from scratch, you can use them to edit existing sprites to better suit your game. You can begin with franken-editing, where you take parts from different sprites and stitch them together. Just make sure the terms of use allow for it.

My personal favorite is Aseprite, but Graphics Gale is a good alternative and free (you can buy it but you don't have to). GIMP works too, especially if you start out with just editing. GIMP isn't user friendly but it's powerful and was made for editing.

6. Carmiella

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I apologize, yes I was sort of looking for a generator. In short, anything that didn't involve me directly altering the sprite with detailed tools. I tried doing this on GIMP with one of the base VX Ace sprites and it was a pain in the butt, lol.

Ohh I've heard about this, I haven't really looked into it but it does sound like a good middle ground to get started on. As I mentioned, I have GIMP but I had a very hard time figuring out how it works, lol. I will be more patient or I'll try out the other programs you mentioned. Thank you very much :)