Sprite Flicker when changing imaging (MZ)

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Whenever I tried to change my character's image within a Move-Route, the image flickers for a brief second. I read a thread online that Galv's Image Cache plugin for MV fixes this. Since it's within MZ will still work with the assistance of the FOSSIL Plugin?
Galv Image Cache: https://galvs-scripts.com/2017/04/26/mv-image-cache/

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does it still flicker if the new image is on the same spritesheet? If that gets rid of the problem, it may be easier to just edit the spritesheet rather than use a plugin for that issue.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
without image cache, you can do a dirty "load image" workaround.

before start boot do the following:

(make sure the screen is black)
show picture 1 (name 1)
wait 1 frame
show picture 1 (name 2)
wait 1 frame
show picture 1 (name 3)
wait 1 frame
show picture 1 (name 4)
repeat for all images
erase picture 1
SS A ON.

than fade in screen and your pictures works without flickering :)
you can do on the map or on scene boot. (if evented title scene) or
before intro.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@SeaPhoenix I put all the poses I plan to use on the same spritesheet and it still flickers.
@ShadowDragon That sounds like a useful method, but the flickering is happening to my sprites not my pictures.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sprites can be shows as a picture, as teh sprite isn't loaded yet,
this way it can load the sprite.

another methode could be a tiny plugin to load them up, I believe
Synrec has a preloader plugin for MZ, but I dont know how it works.
you could test that one out as well if you rely on a plugin.

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KazukiT Huh that's weird, I just tested it on my PC and don't have the flickering issue (whether it's on the same spritesheet or a different one, or if it's changing the image of an event or the player within the movement route).

I'm using RMMZ 1.6.0, not sure if it's the specs of the computer that's leading to the flickering issue. The only other workaround I can think of is if you're trying to change the image of an event, try putting in on a new page and use a switch to change to that page instead of changing the image in the movement route. That won't work though if you're changing the image of the player or a follower.

Hope you find a solution!

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ideas:
  1. I put all the poses I plan to use on the same spritesheet and it still flickers.
    If it happens even when switching between characters on the same sheet, I don't think it's related to image caching: unlike MV, MZ's core scripts do not implement an image cache size limit.

If you meant you were switching from one sheet to another (e.g. "walk" to "pose"), then: does it happen every time you try to do that, or only the first time per session? If it's only the first time, a preload strategy or plugin may help. Note that ShadowDragon's suggestion works for any image type, e.g. have a map character set to Transparent ON (so they're invisible) and tell them to Change Image to {pose sheet}. That should load the sheet into memory for any later usage.

2. When you say "flicker", do you mean that the sprite disappears, or that it has the wrong appearance? By default move routes process 1 command per frame: if you change the image, it will retain its current pattern (a.k.a. "stepping frame") and direction, at least until the next frame. That might look like a "flicker" depending on your move route and character sheet.

It is possible to work with this by being careful with the structure of your character sheets and/or using a Script move command to perform multiple operations in a single frame.

3. There was some kind of image loading problem in one of the old core script versions (1.4.4):
    It occurred only the first time the sheet was loaded, per session (because afterwards it's in memory). You can easily update your project's core script version, if necessary, using Game -> Update Corescript from the editor's menu bar.

4. Make sure that any plugins you are using are up-to-date, to avoid bugs. Some plugins may also need to be loaded in a certain order.

5. If you're using plugins: for testing, you can turn off (i.e. uncheck) all of them in the Plugin Manager, save your project to apply changes, then test. If that helps, it's a plugin problem: in that case, if you want help figuring out the culprit(s), you could share screenshot(s) of your Plugin Manager.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@caethyril When say "flicker" when the Actor switches to a different pose on the spritesheet the Actor in question disappears for like a fraction of a second and then reappears in the pose I chose for them. Also, I will provide a screenshot of my plugins.

Attachments

• Flicker Problem-Plugin Manager.PNG
    Flicker Problem-Plugin Manager.PNG
    217.8 KB · Views: 7

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KazukiT did you even try the suggestion or options provided by Caethyril?
if not, try them, if you did, can you show an gif/video of the issue?

I dont have MZ, but I also suggested a preloader plugin.
as spritesheet is an image, and still flicker, we like to know to dive deeper
if the suggestions given didn't work out on you.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I came to the realization that the problem was something else. When I was going to record the game footage I found out the actor was walking (The character is jumping up and down on a trampoline. I forgot to add frames on steps 1 and 3 of the walking animation.

Sorry, I caused a big fuss over nothing.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no problem :)

can happen anyone, as we didn't really ask how the sheet looks like,
neither did you told about the trampoline to have the answer faster.

I'm happy you found the problem.

Good luck on your project further.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Now that I have linklists on large trees and cars, is there any theme that would interest you?
Debugging multiplayer issues... I'm having fun, right?
yay_streaming.jpg

For just starting streaming on the 10th... Definitely not the worst. :LZScheeze:

Granted I need 333.34 hours a month on average to achieve money. So I don't really expect that, but it sure has helped my game dev go much faster.
Proud on how this map turned out.

FnmhDLIXgAAOvIC
I just finally fixed a huge problem that wouldn’t let my game load and would crash it.. I thought that I was gonna have to trash the project and start over lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasper1hu