QuantumCapybara

Money Can't Buy Capyness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, to the best of my recollection (which certainly isn't perfect), every iteration of RPG Maker I can think of has had three frames of animation for each walking direction of a sprite, with the exception of RMXP, which had four. So they went to four frames for XP but (again, if I recall correctly) went back to three frames for VX and later.

Does anyone have an inside line on (or even just some theories about) why that shook out that way?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
General Discussion is for looking at broad themes which affect the actual making of games. I'm somewhat unsure about how this topic fits that. Could you explain why you want to know?

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
I have a theory, usually it works better if you get an uneven number for animation that way there is always a middle but the cycle is both the first frame being the last. So they might had realized. Still 3 is really the smallest you can save. ^^

QuantumCapybara

Money Can't Buy Capyness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
General Discussion is for looking at broad themes which affect the actual making of games. I'm somewhat unsure about how this topic fits that. Could you explain why you want to know?
Um, just trying to figure out what my different options are, in terms of walking/on-map sprites. Also, I was plain curious why they "upgraded" from 3 -> 4 frames in the transition from 2k3to XP and then "downgraded" back to 3 frames when they launched VX. Also I was wondering if people have preferences one way or another about the number of frames in an animated sprite. I mean, obviously, 12 frames is better than three, but how much does it matter to folks?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
4 frames are redundant. 3 frames are the smallest amount you can get. With being 8 or more is just hard to make the resource for it. So, I believe the reason behind 3 frames is just it is easier to make a sprite for it than 8, 12, or more frames.

QuantumCapybara

Money Can't Buy Capyness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What about say five frames, though? Incrementally more work, yes, but not nearly as much of a chore as making 8 frames of animation per character per facing (which I think I've seen some projects and plugins around here do]. Seems like it could potentially be a good middleground.

But yeah, understanding this was Kadokawa's decision, it makes sense they'd want the resources it's easiest to make, because they've got to pay for those resources to get made after all. But..then the question becomes why did they up it to four frames for XP?

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What about say five frames, though? Incrementally more work, yes, but not nearly as much of a chore as making 8 frames of animation per character per facing (which I think I've seen some projects and plugins around here do]. Seems like it could potentially be a good middleground.

But yeah, understanding this was Kadokawa's decision, it makes sense they'd want the resources it's easiest to make, because they've got to pay for those resources to get made after all. But..then the question becomes why did they up it to four frames for XP?
Better try it your self
just add a frame between doesn't mean it will look better
it case by case with size detail etc
and for the default size 5 and 3 you can't see a real difference if you not pay much attention
but if it did wrong it will look more weird walking like a rabbit hop jump

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think this is an instance of impossible to satisfy curiosity. Unless someone from what was then Enterbrain joins the conversation and says "we did it because..." all replies are guesses and speculation. It's the same sort of question of why did side view battlers go from 4 frames of animation in VX Ace to only 3 in MV? I think/guess/speculate that it wasn't only the cost of commissioning resources for Kadokawa. If they make it that bit easier for people to create their own, they increase the attractiveness of the engine, and so potentially sell more.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this is an instance of impossible to satisfy curiosity. Unless someone from what was then Enterbrain joins the conversation and says "we did it because..." all replies are guesses and speculation. It's the same sort of question of why did side view battlers go from 4 frames of animation in VX Ace to only 3 in MV? I think/guess/speculate that it wasn't only the cost of commissioning resources for Kadokawa. If they make it that bit easier for people to create their own, they increase the attractiveness of the engine, and so potentially sell more.
well... actually if they really care
they will upgrade more function in many aspect
but they just keep everything more the same and cut out some from old version
Kadokawa and rpgm more like Bethesta and skyrim...
they just rely on their strong community support
if only they make some famous plugin to be build in in newer version
that will cause a popularity to rise up
but... no... every version got the same plugin to port by the same community...

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
XP is actually three frames as one of the frames is a duplicate, not entirely sure why. But XP was all about breaking limits compared to 2k3 so perhaps they wanted to give us more room as developers even if they didn't use it themselves

Personally pvgames has spoiled me and anything less than 8 frames looks so jolty now haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ive got a long lost half uncle. Thats real cool.
I forget what is bumping rule in this forum. Is anyone know? Thank you.
BCj
Ew, why does my blogpost on the rpgmaker.net site look like a garbled mess? Are html codes disabled or something?
I feel that I should cut down on my order queue so I can get some more time for my projects, its been quite a longggg while since I worked on them LOL
I friend of mine insisted on practicing dubbing things with him... and its quite funny, yet, it really takes a huge amount of practice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Babiboo