Sprite Height Modifier with Custom Character Generator?

ADude

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey there,

Does anyone know if the plugin for the sprite height modifier works with the character generator? I can't seem to figure it out. A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welcome! I saw this was your first post and hadn't gotten any responses, so I wanted to make sure you got at least something :wink:

Can you explain a bit more clearly what you're asking about? What is "the plugin for the sprite height modifier?" If it's something that comes with MZ, please give the name. If it's something you downloaded from someplace else, please give the correct name and a link to it.

What does "works with the character generator" mean? Plugins can't modify how the editor software works, so you can't have a plugin that does something directly to the character generator.

If you have a plugin that modifies sprites in some way, then, well, yes? There's nothing different about the image file generated by the character generator versus anything else, they're all PNGs.

Give us some more details of what you're trying to accomplish and we'll try to help you out.

ADude

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey Turan. Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate it.

Ya, i guess I was missing some info in this post eh? I'm clearly new to the scene.... Apologies.

I had bought the DLC Sprite Height Modifier which has to be activated through the Plugin Manager and couldn't figure out how to actually extend the character sprites. I am using characters made in the character generator.

I ended up figuring it out by editing the plugin. But discovered that it doesn't affect the [SV] Battler sprites. Which ultimately left me disappointed and I ended up refunding the DLC.... Much to my dismay. On a bit of a tight budget these days....

OR can it affect [SV] Battler sprites and I was just doing something wrong? Not sure...

I'm not a huge fan of the big head, tiny body look. At least, not for the tone I'm going for in my project. But not the end of the world, by any means. I can certainly live with it.

While I've got you here, maybe you're aware of an alternative? One that also affects the battle sprites?

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
alternate the height of the character is something I do differently.
there are also walking and SV battle sprite which is tall, but require
you to edit with clothing or commission it.

I dont know the plugin in general, but if it also stretch up or add pixel line
here and there to make it taller, you have to do the same with the
SV battlers to do so, I believe it was either 4 or 6 specific lines to make it happen?

there was a tutorial on how to do that exactly, but it depends if you want
to put time into that or by using the plugin.

not anyone has that DLC to check the plugin, and you cannot share the plugin
or its code either, so someone using that plugin is your best bet, but would
be hard how long that may take though.

so read the help section to see which one it targets as it should be provided
in there, if not, than it doesn't.

Cymaiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If the Sprite Height Modifier is switched on, then the sprites will be extended automatically when a game is booted up. At least, this is how it works for the MV version. I see no reason why the MZ version would work differently.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You still did not include a link to the plugin. But I went ahead and Googled it, and the description does not reference battlers - it specifically says it alters walking sprites.

Battlers are trickier than map sprites because they're angled sideways and they have a variety of poses, so just stretching the middle up could make their arms be different lengths in different frames, which would look weird.

There are a number of tutorials on how to manually heighten sprites, you could try messing with the techniques on battlers:

There are also a bunch of tall sprite templates in the resource forum that include battlers, if you want to get those and draw on top of them.

There's lastly VizuStella's Character Generator, which has some variety of outfit options like the default generator does, and makes tall battlers...I don't think they look very good, though.

ADude

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Awesome. Thanks for the tips guys.

Turan, that video is probably what i'll have to end up doing if i want taller sprites. Manually edit in photoshop. Doing that for all actors and enemies could be a daunting task, (specifically for the Battler sprites) but at least it's an option.

I'm still learning the software, so everything is a bit of a learning curve right now. But I'm enjoying the process.

Cheers.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.
ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KyzerKiba