Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, the basic shadow effect is just a circle on the floor. Which is great and all, but I want something a little more, dynamic?

Basically, I want the shadows to match the sprite of the event(npc)/actor(player) and be cast on the same direction for all of them which changes depending on the map or plugin commands.
Kind of like SigmaSuccour created but the light source is not cast by an event but rather is just determined by some sort of variable, parameter or something like that, which can be changed.
Perhaps it could even have a feature to change between a global light source, an individual light source or multiple light sources? Maybe even work in sideview battles? Though don't feel like you need to add these features if you can't (or just don't want to :p).

I managed to make a mock image on what I'd like it to look like.
Shadow Concept.png
I created this image by pretty much copying the character sprite(s), then I skewed/sheared it by -45 X magnitude then shrank it's height (not affecting the width) by 10, then changed it's transparency to 80%.

So, is this something someone is able to do?
Thanks.

Edit: btw, this is for MV. just to avoid any potential confusion about which maker I'm using.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the link to the video of the shadow is in the description to download (not sure he made it)
while its made by Exhydra aka ossra plugin.

Quasa basic shadow was the first one, he rewrote his plugin to make it better looking.

you can download it there directly or from its site (also in the description of the video)

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the link to the video of the shadow is in the description to download (not sure he made it)
while its made by Exhydra aka ossra plugin.

Quasa basic shadow was the first one, he rewrote his plugin to make it better looking.

you can download it there directly or from its site (also in the description of the video)

I know, but I want a plugin that can use a global lighting source, not an event based one. To simulate sunlight casting shadows for overworld areas being consistant everywhere you walk on that map.

Last edited:

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should be able to do that with the following version of Basic Shadows. Kind of a sneaky beta-ish update. You can force a specific angle on a shadow source event using the following comment tag :

Code:
<bsShadowRotation:angle>
// 'angle' can be 0 to 360 degrees.

// Example :
<bsShadowRotation:215>

Once I work up enough motivation, I will overhaul the plugin. But I have no idea when that will be.

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should be able to do that with the following version of Basic Shadows. Kind of a sneaky beta-ish update. You can force a specific angle on a shadow source event using the following comment tag :

Code:
<bsShadowRotation:angle>
// 'angle' can be 0 to 360 degrees.

// Example :
<bsShadowRotation:215>

Once I work up enough motivation, I will overhaul the plugin. But I have no idea when that will be.

Works great.
Was able to set a source on the player with a big enough radius and create the 'sun casting shadows' effect I wanted. Thanks.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ossra is it also possible to use comments instead of notetag? because if you have
a light sourch (lantern) that you turn off, there is no shadow when closeby?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today is the day! I will be productive in game dev work! I will - *gets distracted by cat playing with her toy mouse* Awww <3
Whelp. I tried to be productive.
Decided to work on Fandom Scouts today. I've decided that instead of using the generic "scrolling text" event that MV has (I'm using MV for FS, not MZ) I'll use the movie option. I'm still trying to find a way to get Premiere Pro to output the compatible format though. If anyone can give me some help, it would be greatly appreciated!
Barthdry wrote on tln143's profile.
Hello tln143 Welcome to the RPG Maker Forum. We wish you enjoy and make good rpg games
Barthdry wrote on 00cassiesmells's profile.
Hello 00casiemells Welcome to the RPG Maker Forum. We wish you enjoy and make good rpg games
Remember guys: Drink water and workout is important too! Don't stay too much time on the PC working! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corporal_Siva