Sprite Might - Sketches

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by spritemight, Sep 2, 2017.

1. spritemight

spritemight Donut Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to Sprite Might Sketches!
    I thought it would be fun to share some of my fan art and design sketches with you all!
    I hope you enjoy!
    (If I find a sketch I would like to share I'll just update the category at a later date!)

Character Sketches

Sirens Sketch 01
    (The first sketch I ever did of my mermaid characters. I wanted them to have VERY round features. I remember this was the first time I tried to develop a sort of 'big chibi' style for my more child-friendly projects.)
    [​IMG]

Sirens Sketch 02

(A sketch of my mermaids that I did at a much later date.)[​IMG]

Sirens Sketch 03

(A sketch of two of my mermaids with a human friend and their pets. Each mermaid got a derpy companion. The dog was supposed to be tethered to the the long-haired mermaid via bubbles.)
    [​IMG]

24 Hour Bloodline - Allies

(Some of the main characters from an older game idea I had. Not sure if I'll ever get to revisit this project any time soon.)
    [​IMG]

Elf Girl Sketch

(Just wanted to draw something fun!)
    [​IMG]

Short-Bobbed Girl - Adina Bell

(Were you curious what some of the character assets looked like if they had some artwork made for them? Well, here's Adina Bell! She's also known as the Short-Bobbed Girl in my asset galleries!)
    [​IMG]

Ponytail Girl - Judith

(Here's Judith! These current sketches are what my 'big chibi' style has evolved into in recent years; big heads, big hair!)
    [​IMG]

Long-Haired Girl - Naomi

(Out of all of my character assets, Naomi seems to be the most popular! )
    [​IMG]

Magic Girl - Myra

(Leader of the group of 4, and probably the most formidable, we have Myra! I'm seriously thinking of making a fun and silly little game for these characters. But....we'll see...)
    [​IMG]

Short-Bobbed Boy - Adriel

(The first of my boy sketches! I had a lot of fun drawing his face and body!)
    [​IMG]

Clothing Sketches

Skirts and Shorts Sketch
    (Some cute skirts and shorts that I designed a while back!)
    [​IMG]

Blouses and Tunics

(Cute Girl Tops!)
    [​IMG]

Mermaid Top Coverings

(Some basic covering designs for a mermaid's torso!)
    [​IMG]

24 Hour Bloodline - Aurora's Queen Outfit (Rejected Idea)

(A formal attire idea I had for one of my main characters. I still like the design even if it doesn't get officially used.)
    [​IMG]

24 Hour Bloodline - Main Character Clothing Designs
    (Some earlyclothing sketches for my characters William, Cythera, and Aurora. Out of the three of them, Aurora's final design changed to a skirt.)
    [​IMG]

24 Hour Bloodline - Cythera - Caterpillar Armor
    (A cute idea I had for an alternate costume for Cythera. I ended up scrapping it in the end though. I might revamp this for something else at a later date.)
    [​IMG]

Prop/Item Sketches

Eye Wear Accessories
    (Just some monocle and glasses ideas I was toying around with.)
    [​IMG]

Baskets, Bags and Buckets Sketch

(A few traveling bags and container ideas I came up with.)
    [​IMG]

Medicine and Food Containers Sketch
    (I've always loved creative package designs, so I tried to create some weird ones myself!)
    [​IMG]

Food and Drink Containers Sketch
    (
    I created a lot of these package designs with kids and people who like cute things, in mind.)
    [​IMG]

Fantasy Boxes, Presents, and Containers Sketch

(I had a great time drawing these guys! Some of my favorite ideas popped up in this set.)
    [​IMG]

Hair Accessory Sketch

(Some fun and cute hat and hair accessories I designed a while back!)
    [​IMG]

Arm Accessory Sketch

(Some cute designs I made for bracelets, gauntlets and gloves!)

[​IMG]

Pillows, Blankets, and Bed Roll Sketches

(Just some random ideas I had for children's pillows and blankets.)
    [​IMG]

Weapons/Armor Sketches

Mr. Woo's Shop - Arcana - Wand Design
    (I have a comic that I made years ago, where the main character is turned into a little doll. She used a wand that was basically a rod/staff.)
    [​IMG]

Miscellaneous Wand Designs

(Some cute wand designs I made for my own references. If I ever ran out of ideas for a magical item a character could use, I would usually refer back to these sketches.)
    [​IMG]

24 Hour Bloodline - Aurora - Whip Designs
    (A few sketches of the whips Aurora could use in battle.)
    [​IMG]

24 Hour Bloodline - Sirena - Furrine Food Supplies

(I have a mermaid character in this game that used furry little mammals to attack. Depending on the food she used, she could summon different types that she kept as pets.)
    [​IMG]

24 Hour Bloodline - Bilen - Cane Weapon Designs

(A few sketches of the canes Bilen could use in battle.)
    [​IMG]

24 Hour Bloodline - Aurora - Sword and Shield Designs

(A few sketches of the swords and shields Aurora could use in battle. My original idea was that the characters all had a main weapon and few secondary weapons on them at all times. Their skill sets and strengths were greatly affected by their equipment and stats.)
    [​IMG]

24 Hour Bloodline - Sirena - Shrimp Pistol Design
    (A sketch of Sirena's main weapon underwater. She would use this to either stun or shatter underwater enemies. Despite it's clunky look, it was supposed to be light- weight and easy to maneuver with.)

[​IMG]

24 Hour Bloodline - Cythera - Rod/Baton Designs

(A few sketches of the batons Cythera could use in battle. She was a nurse-type character and would usually carry around non-lethal weapons.)
    [​IMG]

Fan Art
    MLP - Final Friendship Tactics (Job Type Sketch)
    (Try to guess what job type each pony is!)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Vaena, Citali, SookyLala and 12 others like this.
  2. Mirpono

Mirpono But what do I know? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You've got an amazing art style, I love the clothing!

spritemight likes this.
  3. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Really impressed by your style and versatility. Kind of wonder where you got your technique from.

spritemight likes this.
  4. Prodigy 1216

Prodigy 1216 Prodigious Member Veteran

First Language:
    Malanglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    These are really nice work and I am impressed by your clothing design. It looks so good I wanna apply them XD.

spritemight likes this.
  5. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mermaids.....Lamia.....ARGH!!!!! <nose bleed!>

6. spritemight

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Mirpono @Prodigy 1216
    Thank you very much you guys!! I really want to design more clothing and accessories to add to my collection at some point! I've always loved to collect art books that have countless artwork goodies just splattered on the page. I want to make my own one day!

7. spritemight

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @BloodletterQ
    Hey there! You were asking about my technique and such. A lot of it comes from collecting art books, and I also learned a lot from just watching so many speed paintings. I find speed paintings are really helpful, especially the ones where they DON'T TALK, and it's just nice music playing in the background. It allows you to really just take in how they process their artwork, and I just play all my favorite speed paints while I work, over and over again. I tend to download them too, just in case they get taken down at some point.

One of my favorite art books is the one for Granblue Fantasy! This is the one that I have!

[​IMG]
    The layouts and the amount of artwork they have in these books is INCREDIBELE! They had another one that I'm just chomping at the bit to get too, but at the time I only had enough cash on me to buy one. I was so sad because both books were really awesome!

I also love the Final Fantasy 9 art book, which I'm hoping to get at some point. I specifically love looking for art books that have breakdowns with the lineart or concept sketches, finished painted artwork, and then a variety of things they draw like mechanical drawings for vehicles, environments, etc.

[​IMG]

I don't like to straight up copy other people's techniques, so I look for some small thing I really like and then try to make my own version. (Example: I really love SHINY! So I look at speed paints that had a jewel or eye shadowing technique I liked, and then used their shiny technique for my character's eyes. Also, I recently found out about BJDs (Ball Jointed Dolls) a few years ago, and I just LOVE their faces and eyes, so I combined the two ideas to make up my character's eyes.

Example: Here's my character Asut, where I tested a bunch of techniques from a speed paint and some art book references, and tried some of the 'shiny' techniques for the eyes. It was a lot of fun to work on her. I used a 'pattern overlay' technique for her face paint. I wanted it to look cracked and have 'weight' to it, so I found a picture of cake icing and just used an 'overlay' layer in photoshop to get that effect. Then I went in and added cracks wherever her skin would wrinkle naturally. It was actually one of my favorite parts to work on, other than her eyes. The overall painting style and bright colors was based heavily on the painting style that 'Vanillaware' used for 'Odin Sphere'.
    [​IMG]

Also, a lot of people talk about references and techniques, but I don't really see people talk about the 'physical' aspect of drawing. What I'm talking about are things like hand-eye coordination, your image vocabulary, and muscle memory, to name a few, which really play a huge part when it comes to making your artwork. I like to practice these things whenever I can. If I don't do it for a long time and try to jump back into it, (like recently because of my pregnancy), I notice that my characters look more stiff and unnatural, or I have trouble drawing certain things without looking at a reference every few minutes.

WELL, that was a long post! Hahhaha! Hope you found this useful!

Zealraid and Mirpono like this.
  8. spritemight

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @KayZaman
    Haha! I do love my mermaids! Glad you do too! I actually have another little mermaid character that I named "Mango" for a game project.

Here she is!

[​IMG]
    When I drew the other mermaid characters I didn't have a uniform 'physical body' in mind at the time, but now I have a better picture in mind for what I want. I'll be using Mango to show off their different physical attributes at a later date.

KayZaman likes this.
  9. KayZaman

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @spritemight Please don't double-post. Y'know the rules of the forum.

That Mango's eyes! The iris! I want to know the story.

10. Prodigy 1216

Prodigy 1216 Prodigious Member Veteran

First Language:
    Malanglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @KayZaman I dont think it is a problem since it is an art post. You can double post when you are updating something your art related edits

11. spritemight

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Prodigy 1216 @KayZaman
    Thank you, everyone. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Though please forgive me if it happens once in awhile.

Though from what I double-checked, I can post again if a day passes, correct?

12. spritemight

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Heyo, everyone!
    Sketch Gallery UPDATE!:kaohi:
    - Added a bunch of my weapon designs to my "Weapon/Armor" gallery! Please check'em out! Yay!:kaoluv:

- I also added two more clothing/armor sketches to the "Clothing" section.

13. KayZaman

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The sword and shield - 6th set - what the shell?! They look like weapons for elf.

spritemight likes this.
  14. spritemight

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Yep! It's crystal and plant-like. The main character was actually born of an alien tree, so that's her final weapon and shield.

15. EnyaShinji

EnyaShinji Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Love the art work. I think you would be amazing at VN's. Visual Novel Maker comes out Nov. 16th. Keep up the good work.

spritemight likes this.
  16. Applesaws

Applesaws Apple Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Love the work OP!

spritemight likes this.
  17. spritemight

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @EnyaShinji
    You know that's something that I might consider in the future! I wouldn't mind using the characters I already made for 2003 and XP. I've grown pretty attached to them.

@Applesaws
    Aww! Thank you!

18. Zealraid

Zealraid Pixel Researcher Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very detailed sketch, you're my inspiration...

:hhappy:
    O love the animals expression in siren sketch 3, they look comfort.

spritemight likes this.
  19. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    These are very nice!! :o I'm a huge fan of the FF Tactics + MLP class art!! <3

spritemight likes this.
  20. spritemight

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Zealraid
    Thank you! I'm glad you like them! I love to draw derpy animals. I'll be adding more sketches next month.

@Starmage
    Hahah! Thank you, I really loved these guys! The MLP sketch was actually part of a bigger project that I ended up putting on the back burner. I was kinda bummed about it because work ended up getting in the way. I wanted to do one for the boys too; color all of them; make sprites of them; and then recreate the 'class intro' like in the original game, but with the ponies. It was supposed to be practice for some of the bigger After Effects projects I wanted to do, but ALAS! I REALLY hope I can revisit it again in the future. Here's hoping!

Zealraid and Starmage like this.