Sprite Resizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooshry

BTS has consumed my very existence help.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, i made enemy sprites for my game, and when i went to put them in, they turned out to be too small!
I usually make my enemy sprites 4x4 pixels, but i accidentally made them 3x3. I can't afford to resprite them all, since there's quite a lot, and it'll take way too long to do it alone. (By the way, the white one with the straw hat has to be downsized instead. He's 9x9 instead of 4x4.)
ATGT.png Frogger.png Emeraude.png Elle Belle.png Kringle.png Madame LaPhant.png Pink Elephant.png Poke-Poke.png Polter-Guyst.png Rubiss.png Yoofoe.png Swing-Swing.png Toaddit.png Unknown (Shine-Shine).png Yamolan.png
I hope this isn't too many...
EDIT: As requested by Andar, i've posted an example sprite.
Meeble.png
The pixels in this sprite are each 4x4 in width and height.
Frogger.png
The pixels in this one are 3x3. I'd like them resized to 4x4 like the one above.
These are all sv_enemy sprites. By the way.
And, i want them resized, without blur or distorsion.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you have confused some numbers here. None of those sprites are either 4x4 nor 3x3 or anything else like that - the biggest one for example has somewhere like 20 pixels in width alone.
Besides that, none of those are sprites in the definition of the RPG-Makers, they are only pictures.
And third, resizing can distort or blur any picture if it is done wrong, which means we need a better description of what you want before anyone can help you.

Please attach a single sprite as an example and describe exactly what you have done with it and what you want to have changed with it from us.

Mooshry

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Besides that, none of those are sprites in the definition of the RPG-Makers, they are only pictures.
I don't get it. What are sprites in the definition of the RPG Makers?
Is it like character/overworld sprites?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sprites for RPG Makers are sets of 3x4 cells of the same figure organised in the four directions (up, down, right, left) and three animations each (four if you're using the older RMXP).
You can see examples of sprites if you for example doubleclick on an events grafic - the selection frame you get on correct sprites will always include the entire grouping. Your pictures on the contrary are only containing a single element each - that might be usable as a front view enemy picture, but not as a sprite.

EDIT
ok, with your edit in the original post it now becomes clear - you have a set of pictures that have been resizes with each pixel into 3x3 or 4x4 pixels of the new picture, and now want them resized into the other size.

Basically they all need to be resized back into 1x1-versions (33% resize for 3x3) and then resized again into the 4x4 version - there is absolutely no way to get that correct with a direct single resize.
Do you still have the 1x1 versions of those pictures?

Mooshry

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sprites for RPG Makers are sets of 3x4 cells of the same figure organised in the four directions (up, down, right, left) and three animations each (four if you're using the older RMXP).
You can see examples of sprites if you for example doubleclick on an events grafic - the selection frame you get on correct sprites will always include the entire grouping. Your pictures on the contrary are only containing a single element each - that might be usable as a front view enemy picture, but not as a sprite.

EDIT
ok, with your edit in the original post it now becomes clear - you have a set of pictures that have been resizes with each pixel into 3x3 or 4x4 pixels of the new picture, and now want them resized into the other size.

Basically they all need to be resized back into 1x1-versions (33% resize for 3x3) and then resized again into the 4x4 version - there is absolutely no way to get that correct with a direct single resize.
Do you still have the 1x1 versions of those pictures?
Sadly not. But maybe there could be a way to resize them manually?

Weremole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
For pixel art its less of a headache to pixel it at actual pixel size and then size up as needed.

For MV I size things up by 300% in Nearest Neighbor resampling which keeps the edges sharp. I'm not entirely sure how it would work in reverse.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sadly not. But maybe there could be a way to resize them manually?
yes, any image program like GIMP or Photoshop can do that.
However, you need to have one where you can select the resize method (simpler programs than GIMP or Photoshop often don't allow that) to one that doesn't blur (for example "nearest neighbor") to make sure the small 1x1 variant isn't blurred.
That is why it's easier to start at 1x1 for pixel art (like said by the poster above) and just resize to the desired full size later.
GIMP is free, so you can try it yourself.

Mooshry

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just resized the Frogger sprite using Paint, so... i guess i don't need this anymore. Lock this, please.
Also don't use the sprites in the op. They're mine and mine only.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

How do you do when you want to work on projects but the game companies make so many games available for free because of the quarantine?
Kes
I have just stepped down from being a Mod, so please don't send me any more pm's with Mod questions. Thanks
The laptop I've had for almost 3 years has blue screened and is stuck on a boot loop. Can't wait to make games on nothing!
Made a brief video showcasing early game play... Got a copyright claim by BIG UP! (https://big-up.style/) for using music I bought from here (Future Steam Punk Pack). Now I wonder if I should strip any purchased music from here out of my game. :LZSskeptic:
Cleaned character animation and new room

I'm not sure if I should open a thread for this in games in development..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schiraz