Darkstorne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
41a99e7a2b7e35bfb0bb0ebfe00cede28ce124f6.gif

There's a fantastic little open-world RPG on Steam Early Access (I'm sure a lot of you would feel right at home with it's art direction!) called Stoneshard.

It seems to feature a deceptively simple sprite system - only two directions a sprite can face (left or right, even when moving up or down) and no animation frames for movement at all. All the "animation" is created by tilting/rotating the sprites slightly as they move, having them hop up and down slightly, and using a "breathing" effect. Yanfly had a plugin that could apply a similar breathing effect to enemies in RMMV:

More Stoneshard animation GIFs below. Is anything like this achievable in RMMZ? Either natively or with plugins? It's such a simple effect, I'm sure the engine is capable, just not sure if it's made possible yet.

SyMtCIM.gif

e3qjUAt.gif

uFSTFkb.gif

02b9a5a47a0ecab748236612814e6da57451ffa0.gif

GmOcean

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Off the top of my head, yes some what. The game can already detect when you're moving in a direction and pulls the proper sprite to display from the sprite sheet. To get your jumping effect you'd just replace 'frames' within the sprite sheet with still images and have them move up/down slightly to mimic jumping.

As for the combat itself, with some time and dedication this can be simulated with an ABS plugin. I haven't played around with any ABS plugins to know if you're able to manipulate displayed sprites upon taking damage, but you can for performing an attack so I don't see why the former would be out of the question.

The hardest one I think would be the "breathing" effect. By default I don't think there are multiple idle frames (just 1 for each direction). But again, since some ABS plugins let you manipulate what sprite is displayed for an attack, perhaps with some effort it'd be possible to create the breathing effect.

But yes, in short; get an ABS plugin for overworld combat, change some sprite sheets around and you have 80-95% of what those gifs show. Having played the game before, I think there are 1 or 2 plugins to even let you mimic the inventory system.

Darkstorne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sadly, that's not what I'm after. Sprite sheets don't allow for smooth movement like Stoneshard has (rotation would be VERY choppy and repetitive), and the other main benefit of this rotation method is a big reduction in VRAM overhead from all the spritesheets saved (each actor is just two frames, that's it, either facing left or right).

It's quite bizarre if the engine doesn't support it, given how simple and easy it would be to implement, the benefits to animations, the VRAM saved etc. Battle animations are quite flexible, so I don't know why the overhead maps aren't. I don't even want an ABS system, just these options for general movement.

KotoYama

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would suggest you use MV plugins like MOG_CharacterMotion.js, Aramis Sprite Zoom, or EventEffects.js by Sasuke KANNAZUKI and find a scripter who would adapt them for MZ.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

finally redesigned one of the major antagonist of my game, Pro... aka Prometheus.
Well, I've decided I'll take a break on making Forgotten Eclipse...and Make a mod for FNF
Trailer for my new game.
last one for a while

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWanderer1990