Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So what's the smallest I can do? I kinda wanted my sprites to be in the same definition as Pokemon red, blue and yellow.

Last edited:

JtheDuelist

Your Friendly Neighborhood Shapeshifter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
MV's base minimum is 32x32 I believe...

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV's base minimum is 32x32 I believe...

So let's see each of these sprites frames are roughly 16x16, so how many would that for a full sheet that can fit as many characters as "people 1" let's say

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV uses 48x48, but with character sprites, you can go as large or as small as you like. The only thing you have to do is make sure all cells in the sheet are the same size, and that you have a $ or don't have a $ depending on how many characters (at 3x4 cells) can fit in the sheet. The smaller you go though, the weirder it's going to look walking on the map.

How many you can have is always the same, regardless of how big they are. The full spritesheet changes size accordingly. It's not a matter of "if I make them smaller, I can put more into a sheet". They are always one character (3x4 cells) with a $, or 8 characters in a 4x2 arrangement (3x4 cells each) without a $.

This is all in the help file.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

For copywrite law reasons we have to remove the image. Please only provide a link to where someone can reference that image in the future. Also please remove the attachment for the same reason.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
also, what is Pokémon red, blue and yellow? If it's a legit game and that's a ripped spritesheet, you can't get help to use it here - regardless of who did the ripping.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I actually read that as they want their sprites to look like the sprites in that game myself. In other words, same style. But yes, if it is how to use those exact sprites, we cannot help for that due to copywrite law, as we cannot assist on how to use illegally RIP'd sprites from other games for legal reasons.

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually read that as they want their sprites to look like the sprites in that game myself. In other words, same style. But yes, if it is how to use those exact sprites, we cannot help for that due to copywrite law, as we cannot assist on how to use illegally RIP'd sprites from other games for legal reasons.

Whoa, I didn't even know these were illegally ripped, I just found them through google and it was linked to twitter.

EDIT: but if you mean that I wanna use these, then that's incorrect, I just wanted to create sprites in a similar style, would that still be illegal if they were just similar style?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No.

In answer to your original question, you cannot fit more or less sprites on a spritesheet based on larger or smaller sprite sizes. If you have smaller sprites, then you will still have the same number on a spritesheet - it will just be a smaller spritesheet.

(you still need to edit your first post and remove the attachment)

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No.

In answer to your original question, you cannot fit more or less sprites on a spritesheet based on larger or smaller sprite sizes. If you have smaller sprites, then you will still have the same number on a spritesheet - it will just be a smaller spritesheet.

(you still need to edit your first post and remove the attachment)

removed, and nevermind, I'd rather not go into a long description of what I'm looking for, so I'll just let this thread die out.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, google is a bad source to use for legal images. But easy to fix, we just had to remove the link to it (and thanks for understanding).

For what you asked though basically you can only ever have 8 4 x 3 images, no matter what the size is. You will have a total of 12 columns, 8 rows in the end, so 96 (12 x 8) total images is the max you can have on a spritesheet, regardless of what size you make them.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You asked two questions - what's the smallest a sprite can be, and how many sprites can you fit onto a spritesheet if you go smaller. I answered both of them. If you need to know more, then you need to rephrase your question.

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You asked two questions - what's the smallest a sprite can be, and how many sprites can you fit onto a spritesheet if you go smaller. I answered both of them. If you need to know more, then you need to rephrase your question.

no no, not how many, I asked how the DIMENSIONS should be for the same number of characters as "people 1".

Yeah, google is a bad source to use for legal images. But easy to fix, we just had to remove the link to it (and thanks for understanding).

If I had to choose between being rebellious and be a criminal or just take someone's word without question to avoid potential felonies, I'd easily take door number 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Llareian

Jack of All Trades, Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
no no, not how many, I asked how the DIMENSIONS should be for the same number of characters as "people 1".

16 pixels wide x 12 columns = 192 pixels total width
16 pixels tall x 8 rows = 128 pixels total height
So your spritesheet dimensions for 16x16 sprites would be 192 x 128 pixels. There is no padding in a spritesheet.

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
kk thx, and oh crap I realized I double posted above, would be nice to have a "delete post" option honestly.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So let's see each of these sprites frames are roughly 16x16, so how many would that for a full sheet that can fit as many characters as "people 1"

I'm sorry - I read "how many" and thought you were asking how many 16x16 sprites would you be able to fit on a full sheet the size of "people 1".

Llareian has provided the correct answer above. If you're going to put just the one character on a spritesheet with a $ in the name, you multiply by 3 for the width, and by 4 for the height. If you're going to provide a size for up to 8 characters, with no $ in the name, then you multiply by 12 for the width, and by 8 for the height.

I realized I double posted above

Just report your second post and ask the mods if they can merge it with the one above. They'll be able to take care of it for you. If you want to quote several people, you can use the + Quote button in the lower right of their posts to select them all, then reply to them all in a single post (just make sure to remove the parts of their posts that you're not specifically referring to, otherwise it can get a bit long and hard to read).

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sorry - I read "how many" and thought you were asking how many 16x16 sprites would you be able to fit on a full sheet the size of "people 1".

Llareian has provided the correct answer above. If you're going to put just the one character on a spritesheet with a $ in the name, you multiply by 3 for the width, and by 4 for the height. If you're going to provide a size for up to 8 characters, with no $ in the name, then you multiply by 12 for the width, and by 8 for the height.

Just report your second post and ask the mods if they can merge it with the one above. They'll be able to take care of it for you. If you want to quote several people, you can use the + Quote button in the lower right of their posts to select them all, then reply to them all in a single post (just make sure to remove the parts of their posts that you're not specifically referring to, otherwise it can get a bit long and hard to read).

kk, did as you said.

MastaBruce

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
16 pixels wide x 12 columns = 192 pixels total width
16 pixels tall x 8 rows = 128 pixels total height
So your spritesheet dimensions for 16x16 sprites would be 192 x 128 pixels. There is no padding in a spritesheet.
This comment is still helpful years later. Thanks.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@MastaBruce, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to show appreciation for something and the thread is old, you can just 'like' the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My first game is gonna be a really ambitious one. But it's costing me a lot of money to make lol. it'll be worth it though
Ugh...Guests always put the Ketchup in the fridge....bloody savages the lot of them! :)
daysbetweendatescalculator.jpg
It may be useful for some weird purposes in the game and outside the game.:kaojoy:
I'm taking a break from Game Work to actually play a game (NEO: The World Ends With You) and I'm terrified that I'm gonna lose the drive for my project, since prior to picking up NEO, I'd been doing at least a little bit of work on the project each day ahhh. My brain is very much an "all or nothing" kind of brain, sigh.
bandicam 2021-08-05 15-10-37-143.png
Configuration menu and icons test

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
srabon