Ce'wyndia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello all,
I have a very silly question im sure, im such a newb. Anyways, I have sprites that are 256 x 256. But, that is the box size around the character which I believe is 47 x 123. Problem is if used this way the collision is messed up im guessing because of how much bigger the box is around the character. My problem is im trying to get the character into boxes that are closer to his size such as 128 x 128 but then the snap to grid doesn't work proper and the animations are all messed up. I hope this makes sense lol
Thanks you for any help in this matter.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the key to sprites is the cell size, the single frame size of whatever the sprite should contain.

a single sprite needs to consist of 3x4 cells of that size, so if you want a cell size of 47x123 pixels then you need a sprite size of 141x492 pixels. For a single sprite the filename needs to start with a $.
A spritesheet contains 4x2 regular sprites or 12x8 cells of the same size organized into 4x2 sprites of 3x4 frames each.

the default grid is 48x48 pixels, and if the cell size of the sprite is differently, then the cell will be displayed centered bottom on the map. However, only in game you'll see the full sprite if it is larger - the editor always cuts larger sprites to 48x48 because you need to be able to select the other tiles next to the event in the editor to change them.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Basically what Andar said.

To add to it, RPG Maker MV doesn't read character image files with an unchanging box size. It simply reads 12 horizontal boxes and 8 vertical boxes (3 and 4 if the file starts with an "$"), so to get the box's dimensions you do simple math:

Code:
box width = fille width / 12 (or divided by 3 if there's a $ in front of the file name)
box height = file height / 8 (or divded by 4 if there's a $ in front of the file name)

To figure your desired file size based on the box size, it's just the opposite operation.

Morganis

Ce'wyndia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
got it, thank you guys very much :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2021? I still wonder if people still doing MV than MZ more
Seeing a lot more active Ace topics recently, is it making a comeback? :o
0-7, left-to-right, top-to-bottom
As soon as I'm able to get out of bed I'm probably gonna go so hyper from being too cooped up, and burn myself out into another awful flare. lol
It makes me feel proud whenever an RM game does well. Even though I had nothing to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krunga