Sprite size?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Pandaperfect, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Pandaperfect

Pandaperfect Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I've treid to look around but I haven't got much luck with my problem.
    I desired a merchant with a walking horse, bear or what ever to acompany him/her. as ONE whole sprite.
    problem is I don't understnad RPGMAKER's way of saying what size is ok and what size is not..

As far as i've come i ended up making the original sprite template double the length for rpgmaker to accept the 2 sprite as 1 sprite.

I've added a picture of the sprite, my question is just, is there any way for me to make it use less space then it already does?
    She is using 1 sprite and the bear 1 sprite = 2 sprites for 1 sprite, since i've made it double length..

sorry for horrible way of writing.

Attached Files:

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    that is because the size was never important for sprites - all RPG-Makers accept almost any size for sprites.

The requirement is the structure of the sprite - a single sprite always needs to consist of twelve cells in 3x4 structure.
    So decide what size you want as a single cell, and multiply that with 3 horizontally and 4 vertically.

If you want a cell size for a single element to be 100x150, then the single sprite-size needs to be 300x600.
    A single sprite needs a $ at the start of its filename to tell the engine that it the picture contains a single sprite, without the $ the engine assumes a spritesheet of 4x2 sprites (or a total of 12x8 cells)

Pandaperfect likes this.
  3. Pandaperfect

First Language:
    English
    THE $ NONE ever told about a $, no guide or what so over. If only I had known...
    Now it makes snese why the big sprites have a $ in thier names too.

It would be appriciated if they had added this in the "help" menu/ guide thing they got in Rpgmaker...

btw. How did you know? Have I missed something :o?

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is somewhere in the help file (just don't know where at the moment), and explained numerous times in this forum (and you probably don't know the special function of the ! you find in some spritenames either ?)

I suggest you follow the link to the "starting point" in my signature, it not only links to a lot of important tutorials but also explains tricks like $, !, the way the RMs simulate a 2-level-dungeon on a single-level-map and more

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/sprite-sheet-formats-and.63612/

6. Pandaperfect

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the help, It made me understand the sprites idea a little better now. :kaoswt2: