Spriter Plugin

Isabella Ava

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Amazing works, this will rise RPGMV engine up a level indeed. The only thing make me consider about it that this plugin requires a high-power computer to run smoothly (@KanaX mentioned about it).
My computer is Corei3 - 8Gb Ram - 2Gb GPU however when i run the demo, at the map where (10?) characters appear at once, the game quickly turned quite slow. Is there anything can do about this?

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes, I have gone overboard in that map. Too many trees. RPG MV is not really able to weight-lift too many events at once, with all of them carrying 20+ bitmaps. I could limit the number of times some stuff are updated, however.

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well now I'm torn. I have both Spriter AND Dragonbones, and there's now MV integration for Spriter on the Map and Dragonbones in Battle. I'd be stoked if you were able to add Spriter for battles. It opens up so many possibilities for MV! I love it!

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
>Spriter
>Dragonbones

Well, the amount of people asking for battle scene animations keeps increasing. I will not promise to do anything for a couple of months, but perhaps I will eventually and with some more demand.

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not sure if I could run both? I could try it; not sure if they're compatible. It seems a bit redundant though, plus I'd have to set up sprites twice with two different interfaces and and folder structures (at least I think the in-game folder structures would be different). Would be way more convenient if Spriter or Dragonbones could be used for both, but I'll try both plugins together to see if they work at all just for experiment sake. :p

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am speechless. Amazing, can't wait to try it out!

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very nice! I'll be sure to steal... Umm I mean study the plugin, since I wanted to do something like this as well :)

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Poryg Feel free to """study""" and fix the kinks I couldn't!

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not going to be supporting the plugin, since I don't have the time to do it anymore. My job searching keeps me so busy lately that I hardly have time for my commission :( However, it would be a great addition to the simplified engine I'm slowly building (an engine optimized for performance and parallax mapping). @Jonforum has already achieved that with his own engine adaptation and the performance boost he gained from it was immense, although he doesn't use Spriter, but Texture packer.

Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
Can I make additional animation to the actor like Idle, dashing, walking with this plugin?

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@MrAnonymous777 You can make any animation you want without needing to make new sprites in each occasion! But you need to find a way to determine when these animations will interchange.

DevAesthetic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is really cool! I will definitely be using this. Keep up the great work! And I hope you'll make a version for inside battles, It would look really nice and polished in the battles.

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
UPDATE: If you are interested in using Spriter Plugin in a battle scene, feel free to contribute in this poll.

CoreyBot83

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello, I have a couple questions about this plugin, as on my first try of trying to get it to work, I got an error message.

1) Does this plugin require a specific version of RPG Maker to run? For example, how updated would I have to be to get this working if that is the case?

2) Is there any way to specify an animation within a spriter file to play in an event? For example, I have a spriter file with 10 different animations that represent 10 different objects, and I want to just play one of those (say, the 3rd one) as my event. Is this possible? Because from what I see in the documentation, you can only specify the spriter file (skeleton), and the directory which holds all the art for that one file. Let me know if there is some way to do this.

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@CoreyBot83 Hi! I'm sorry you are encountering problems. If you can show me some more info about the error I might be able to help you.
  1. I recently had to fix part of the plugin so it can be compatible with RPGMV v 1.6
  2. You can do it with 4 different animations, as of now. Each of these 4 animations are tied to a direction, so by making the event with the specified skeleton change its direction, it will also change the animation.
    While I considered letting the users change their animations manually, I thought that it would be too much of a hassle. Organizing each object's animations separately with only 4 different versions of the object for each file seemed like a more efficient idea.
    Example:
    1st animation: Tree being hit by axe.
    2nd animation Tree swaying in a left-ward draft.
    3rd animation Tree swaying in a right-ward draft.
    4th animation: Tree falling after being cut.
    However, I could make a special add-on, allowing you to choose any animation you want from the animation file.

Isabella Ava

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I see many people ask @KanaX for making Spriter plugin work for Battle system.
But in my opinion @KanaX shouldn't do that because there are DragonBone plugin for Battle System already.
People asking for it but will they use it?
Try to imagine, if @KanaX actually made Spriter Battle System plugin, what is it benefit compare to DragonBone plugin?
the only thing i can think of is Spriter allow you to switch different skin easily (so for example actor can switch weapons/ armors mid-battle)
Except of that:
- Performance will be dropped down dramatically
- Complex to configure
- Heavy game size
Well, it's just my opinion though.
@KanaX may find it's interest to do so :)

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Isabella Ava well said. I think that dragonbone and spriter plug-in were made with different priorities. I will attempt to improve spriter plugin, of course, but at this point the time and effort I can offer are limited.

BrashMonkey

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see many people ask @KanaX for making Spriter plugin work for Battle system.
But in my opinion @KanaX shouldn't do that because there are DragonBone plugin for Battle System already.
People asking for it but will they use it?
Try to imagine, if @KanaX actually made Spriter Battle System plugin, what is it benefit compare to DragonBone plugin?
the only thing i can think of is Spriter allow you to switch different skin easily (so for example actor can switch weapons/ armors mid-battle)
Except of that:
- Performance will be dropped down dramatically
- Complex to configure
- Heavy game size
Well, it's just my opinion though.
@KanaX may find it's interest to do so :)
Hey, this is Mike from BrashMonkey (creators of Spriter and the Spriter Art packs)
Here are the reasons expanding this plug-in to support Spriter playback in a battle system would be awesome:
1) Most people lack time and needing to learn and work in two very different modular animation programs is asking a lot.
2) We had/have tentative plans to make a new Animated art pack compatible with our RPG Heroes animated art pack, but specifically for large, smoothly animated side view combat animations... people with both art packs would be able to create a custom character in the first pack, and load that character into the other art pack and have their custom characters fully animated for high res side view combat.

Development of this art pack was stalled because originally it was Degica who was going to make a plug-in for Spriter play-back and that never happened. If KanaX manages to add combat support, then we'd be re-motivated to create that pack.

here is a link to the promo for the RPG Heroes pack:

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@KanaX,
Would making a combabilty edit for dragonbones be better, or easier for you to do? Ie making it where dragonbones could read in the spriter pro data, and use it but not really change anything else. This way you get in battle animations, with Yanfly Action Sequencing, on map Animations and Spriter Pro Use.

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
I would need to know how Dragonbones saves its data. And then format it in a similar manner as that of Spriter Pro's save files. I might make an add-on about it in the future, but it's not a direct priority.

As of right now I spend my time fixing some kinks. Adding bezier curve time functions, mesh distrortions and fixing reverse animation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am feeling better about my update schedule, I feel like I am actually getting consistent work done even if it isn’t big updates.
It's a joy to work on a well-made map. I am not regretting this commission in the least!
I'm currently being attacked by the RPG Maker Hydra: fixing one problem only to have two more rise to take its place.
Hey you! Yeah YOU! Whatcha doin' not backing up your projects? You a masochist or sumthin'? GO BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS! Sheeesh... Didn't think I'd hafta spell it out for yas.
now I need to determine, how MV determines if an auto tile is complete or not.
Edit:From what I can tell it uses Autotile kinds to do that.
Edit 2: The editor determines it and packs picture data for the engine....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokuboter