Sprites keep hitting head (figuratively) on ceiling above RTP doors

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Hiro Sandwich, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Hiro Sandwich

Hiro Sandwich Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Basically, what are good methods to ensure characters display correctly "behind" RTP doors... preferably using the RTP assets and editor alone?

In MV, because all character sprites are offset by 6px unless prefixed with "!" (by design), the hair of a default-sized "filename.png" sprite will show above a "!filename.png" door when that sprite is behind the closed door.

This:

[​IMG]

Causes:

[​IMG]

The only workarounds I've come across for this issue are:

- Using well-placed "B/C" tiles (such as a sign) with "above" passability set on the tile above each door. (Looks OK in some situations, but is not feasible for EVERY door.)

- Only allowing bald sprites to stand behind closed doors... alternatively, event each door so that characters with hair exclaim that they hit their head when walking through. (What kind of world would I be creating!?)

- *Using taller door sprites. (This seems to be the popular option.)

- Repurposing the Kadokawa "OverpassTile" plugin to override the passability of the "A" tile above the door. (I haven't actually tried this yet.)

- Changing character transparency on player touch using a move route (but sadly, this makes characters instantly vanish inside the doorway vs continuing to be seen as the door closes or as they walk up and "behind" the wall to the tile above the door - which is where I would LIKE to have player transfers occur... actually, the part about walking up one tile might be describing a completely different issue as it would still occur with taller doors).

1) What solutions/workarounds do most people use? Is there something obvious I'm missing or is this simply a limitation of single-tile door sprites?

*2) If taller door sprites ARE the de facto standard... what would be the "correct" standard door size? (I'm guessing 48x78 for MV.)

- 48x96? (2x high: Max distortion when resizing RTP assets, but unrealistic looking since doors would extend all the way to the "ceiling" above 2-tile walls.)

- 48x78? (1.5x+6px high: Less distortion when resizing RTP assets and avoids hair issue when up-scaled XP character sprites are used.)

- 48x72? (1.5x high: Even less distortion when resizing RTP assets but hair would still stick out if 72x48 character sprites were used instead of the normal 48x48 sprites.)

- 48x54? (1x +6px high: Minimum distortion when resizing RTP assets, not sure if this would even look good, and would still not support using taller sprites.)

I assumed there would already have been much discussion on this, since the 32x32 ACE door tiles also have the same effect  (though ACE also comes with taller doors and much of the DLC also provides taller doors) but haven't come across this topic directly addressed.

I do not need help with creating any specific events; I'm simply asking in general. Ideally, I'm looking to either find a tutorial on this issue that I may have overlooked or to start the discussion if there really is no preferred method.

2. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  3. Hiro Sandwich

Hiro Sandwich Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Good point. I suppose there's no need for a "universal size" that works with both tall and short sprites since only one type or the other would typically be used in any given project.

At 48x66 and 48x90, Indrah's tiles will do the trick for their associated sprite types so long as I keep my transfer events on the doors themselves... and the tall doors even avoid the ceiling!