Lee Sang

Sang Hendrix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have this flower sprite (spoiler below) which contains 189 frames. It looks fine on Windows but when I run my game on my Android device (Samsung Galaxy Note 9), it shows a black square. Sprites that have less than 15 frames can run just fine. Can anyone help me with this? I'll give more detail if needed, thank you!

Flower Sprite
7koAmm8.png

It's that long.

The Problem
6BIFzbo.jpg

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
most likely hardware limitations.

never forget: any picture needs to be loaded into RAM completely to be used, and the larger a picture is the more RAM it needs.
And mobile devices have a lot less RAM than computers, usually only 1 GB or 2 GB compared to the 8+GB on computers - and they need that RAM for more than your game (computers can push background programs into virtual memory, mobiles not).

Because of this there are both hard and soft limits on pictures with mobiles - a soft limit based on picture size (to prevent large images from loading, someone else had to modify pixi when using a plugin for larger tile sizes) and a hard limit (when the RAM is full and the garbage collector deletes large pictures from RAM to prevent freezing the game).

I don't know which limit kicked in for you, but the only solution is to reduce the frame number on the flowers.
And if the flowers are more than a display gimmick, then you'll need to find a different way to handle this.

One tip: save your sprites as BMP for testing. BMP has no compression, so you'll see how much RAM a picture will need to be used in the filesize of the BMP - all other picture formats are compressed for smaller filesize, but you can't work on compressed data on RAM.

Lee Sang

Sang Hendrix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the answer. I think there gotta be a way to modify that from Pixi. I just don't know how.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Riding thru a slump and not sure how to drag myself out of it. Hate it when these moods take me. Trying to focus on my art but hit a wall with that(TT)
I had one goal when I set out to make my Game Jam game. It didn't have to be super good and the game didn't have to have the best writing - it just had to NOT CRASH.

So yeah, someone was streaming it and it crashed.
Add Special Effects on Map with Tilesets | RPG Maker News #105

Excited to see all the entries for the 2021 Touch the Stars Gamejam.
just finished playing one shot. im kinda disappointed with return the sun ending ngl. i was hoping there would be some after credits scene that would play with my emotions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isabellamason1