Spritesheet help

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Miseryfactory77, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miseryfactory77

Miseryfactory77 Veteran Veteran

Hi Everyone I was not sure where to ask this question but I was currently getting into gimp to create and edit resources etc. So anyways because of a certain plugin that I have installed the spritesheets had to be changed. as you can see from Minka.png
    &
    X_Minka.png

They are 2 different spritesheets now I am using the 4 frame template as opposed to the 3. Here is the question I have in order for the sprite to display properly when it animates the possitioning has to be precise. So when I use gimp to make 4 frames per animation How do I make sure when taking a 3 frame sprite and using the 4 frame template that I have the sprite positioned in such a way that it does not look like its bouncing all over the place during its animation? I need it as precise as possible I have estimated that a gridlines of 200 by 200 helps me a bit heres an example of something I tried. I used the 4 frame sprite above and wanted her to have her pet with her in her sprite so I took this.
    Poigo.png

And tried adding him with the sprite I had and created this
    Minka_Poigo.png

It was easy to make because the sprites used the same dimensions so the cute pig thingy allinged easily with her when combining sprite sheets. However because I use a 4 frame template I had to make this
    Ella_Poigo.png

I did the very best that I could do but because its 4 frames aligning it was harder. I noticed though that each frame for the girl is perfectly spaced apart so that it does not look choppy. I want to know when converting sprites to this 4 frame template How can I space them apart enough so that it doesnt look choppy during battle like the sprite is jumping from place to place as opposed to just changing its movement between frames but remaining on the proper starting position. I tried grid lines etc but its hard I am trying to get it to work properly is anybody good at animating or anything.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated with this. I was able to learn to parallax so I think I should be able to get the hang of this if I keep trying anyways.

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. chungsie

chungsie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    One technique for frame alignment, is to make a single canvas at the grid size for the engine, so I think for Ace it's 32x32px for RTP style, and 64x64px for MV. That does not mean all frames have to fill the grid. Once you have a canvas set up proper with the transparencies, you can add layers for each frame in one cycle or however. I tend to start with a stick figure of the cycle to make sure movement is smooth and not very clunky/awkward. Then it is a matter of hiding and showing each layer/frame in order to see that it is aligned properly. You can save it all as a .gif by disposing/showing one image a frame and then destroying it, it's a selection to make when saving as .gif, and you can set the animation delay between frames, default is 100ms.

That's how I would do it. Then to place the frames into a sheet, go layer by layer, and copy the image one at a time. Then in a new canvas with all the space required, so for ace 32*4*4 x 32*4*2 px with transparencies. Under view display grid and configure grid as you have done in the layered canvas, exactly as it is, if you use 32 for the formula above then make that the grid size in px. ALso select snap to grid, so you don't make mistakes when pasting. Then highlight/select the grid for the cycle with box select tool and paste the frames in one at a time.

Let me know if this is confusing.

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If the cel sizes are exactly the same between setups you could color fill the background in alternating colors to indicate exactly where and what size the cels are. Then when you copy it over to the new layout you can snap it to your grid and just delete the added in color when it's in the right place.

5. Miseryfactory77

Miseryfactory77 Veteran Veteran

lol it is haha but ill try i think if i learned how to parallax i should be able to try and figure this out

6. carlos_maker123

carlos_maker123 Warper Member

First Language:
    portuguese (BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i want this pig as a character on my game...

7. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

carlos_maker123, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.