SRPG Engine - [Add Votes for RTP] Plugins for creating Turn Based Strategy game

If I provided RTP for this project, what style would you choose? (not guaranteed to be applied)

• RPG Maker MV style

• RPG Maker MV in Tonbi tall sprite style

• SRPG Studio style

• Pioneer Valley Games style

• Other style (please suggest it in comment section of this Thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doktor_Q

I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The counter "patch" simply adds a if($gameSystem.srpgMode()) conditional to the SRPG_core.js rewrite of counterattacks; so basically if the game is in SRPG mode then it will use SRPG counterattacking and if the game is not in SRPG mode (aka default MV battle system) then it reverts back to normal counterattacking. It's not really important unless you want to use both battle systems

Unfortunately srpg_core.js does not have a "find event based on active unit" function so you have to make your own. This function basically finds the event that represents the battler.

<Custom Execution>

var defaultSpeed = 5;
for (var i = 0; i < $gameMap._events.length; i++) {
if ($gameSystem.EventToUnit(i) !== undefined) {
if ($gameSystem.EventToUnit(i)[1] == user) {
var userEvent = $gameMap._events[i];
break;
}
}
}
if (userEvent !== undefined) {
$userEvent._characterName = "$Soldier"; //Changes charset of unit.
$userEvent._moveSpeed = 8; //Frequency of stepping animation and movement speed; higher = faster.
user.forward(4);
$userEvent._moveSpeed = defaultSpeed; //Frequency of stepping animation and movement speed; higher = faster.
}

</Custom Execution>

If you use $gameMap._events._characterName you can change the charaset of the character to say an charset with the user in an attacking animation. I would recommend you use the $characterName format and give all units an "attacking charset" with an _attack suffix and then set it _characterName = _characterName + "_attack". If you use the 8 characters per charset then it's a bit more complicated because you also have to get the index of the charset ($gameMap._events._characterIndex). Completely optional though.
Ah, that. I should patch that in my version, too, just to avoid compatibility issues at all.

Also, if you're using... almost any of my SRPG extensions, I add a "battler.event()" function that does exactly that, since it's so useful.

Leon_Artmann

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The counter "patch" simply adds a if($gameSystem.srpgMode()) conditional to the SRPG_core.js rewrite of counterattacks; so basically if the game is in SRPG mode then it will use SRPG counterattacking and if the game is not in SRPG mode (aka default MV battle system) then it reverts back to normal counterattacking. It's not really important unless you want to use both battle systems

Unfortunately srpg_core.js does not have a "find event based on active unit" function so you have to make your own. This function basically finds the event that represents the battler.

<Custom Execution>

var defaultSpeed = 5;
for (var i = 0; i < $gameMap._events.length; i++) {
if ($gameSystem.EventToUnit(i) !== undefined) {
if ($gameSystem.EventToUnit(i)[1] == user) {
var userEvent = $gameMap._events[i];
break;
}
}
}
if (userEvent !== undefined) {
$userEvent._moveSpeed = 8; //Frequency of stepping animation and movement speed; higher = faster.
user.forward(4);
$userEvent._moveSpeed = defaultSpeed; //Frequency of stepping animation and movement speed; higher = faster.
}

</Custom Execution>

If you use $gameMap._events._characterName you can change the charaset of the character to say an charset with the user in an attacking animation. I would recommend you use the $characterName format and give all units an "attacking charset" with an _attack suffix and then set it _characterName = _characterName + "_attack". If you use the 8 characters per charset then it's a bit more complicated because you also have to get the index of the charset ($gameMap._events._characterIndex). Completely optional though.
thanks! I've tried both this complete solution and @Doktor_Q 's suggestion of using "battler.event()" instead, but neither seem to change the speed of the event in my game. Also, using battler.event seem to make "user.forward(4);" not work. I'm getting no crashes or anything, it just seems to not find the correct event for some reason.

Here's my SRPG plugins order, though it might be an incompatibility with some other plugin in my game :(

1602101361408.png

anyway, I'll keep making tests and if I find the problem I'll post here. Thanks for everything, SRPG is getting better and better thanks to all you guys

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
thanks! I've tried both this complete solution and @Doktor_Q 's suggestion of using "battler.event()" instead, but neither seem to change the speed of the event in my game. Also, using battler.event seem to make "user.forward(4);" not work. I'm getting no crashes or anything, it just seems to not find the correct event for some reason.
I spent a whole day fiddling around with this and banging my head against a wall into why it wasn't working. I initially got it working but then somehow it stopped. This is the following result:

Harold's skill uses no yanfly plugins (it does the same thing as Therese's except in this screenshot the skill failed; highlighting that no movement occurs) whereas Therese's uses yanfly skill core which means movement occurs even if the skill is unsuccessful. The above clip uses moveSpeed(8). Below is another clip with moveSpeed(6):

More instructions on my github

I don't know if I'm over-engineering this solution but I could not find any other fixes besides making all events "fast"

Leon_Artmann

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I spent a whole day fiddling around with this and banging my head against a wall into why it wasn't working. I initially got it working but then somehow it stopped. This is the following result:

Harold's skill uses no yanfly plugins (it does the same thing as Therese's except in this screenshot the skill failed; highlighting that no movement occurs) whereas Therese's uses yanfly skill core which means movement occurs even if the skill is unsuccessful. The above clip uses moveSpeed(8). Below is another clip with moveSpeed(6):

More instructions on my github

I don't know if I'm over-engineering this solution but I could not find any other fixes besides making all events "fast"

this is amazing! It's working great in my game, but I did notice 2 things:

1- after the first turn, all enemy units get super fast, and stay that way until the end of battle. Did you have this problem? If not, I might have something set up wrong.

2- I haven't yet found a way to make the "a.push(b, 1)" look more like a reaction, taking place after the "a.forward(x);" , animation and damage pop-up. Right now it all happens at the same time, at least in my game, which makes it look a bit like the target is dodging the attack instead of being pushed. I tried to fool around with the <After Eval> and <Post Damage> tags from SkillCore, but it doesn't seem to change much. Do you know if there are any notetags I can use to delay the "a.push"?

anyway, thanks again!

NatePlays

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you think we can see something like the 'Place Units on the Map before battle' from Jeanne D'arc?

Also also, I noticed that while most stuff can be cancelled by pressing the cancel (esc or x) key, looking at an enemy can't. You have to press select (space, enter, Z) again. That's inconsistent and seems simple to fix.

Last edited:

Doktor_Q

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this is amazing! It's working great in my game, but I did notice 2 things:

1- after the first turn, all enemy units get super fast, and stay that way until the end of battle. Did you have this problem? If not, I might have something set up wrong.

2- I haven't yet found a way to make the "a.push(b, 1)" look more like a reaction, taking place after the "a.forward(x);" , animation and damage pop-up. Right now it all happens at the same time, at least in my game, which makes it look a bit like the target is dodging the attack instead of being pushed. I tried to fool around with the <After Eval> and <Post Damage> tags from SkillCore, but it doesn't seem to change much. Do you know if there are any notetags I can use to delay the "a.push"?

anyway, thanks again!
Assuming you're working with map battle, my way of handling rush moves like that is to put user.forward(1) in the <custom execution> tag, so it happens at the very beginning, when deducting the skill's cost. That way, the rush happens regardless of whether the skill hits, is reflected or countered, etc. and only the enemy's reaction changes.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you think we can see something like the 'Place Units on the Map before battle' from Jeanne D'arc?

Also also, I noticed that while most stuff can be cancelled by pressing the cancel (esc or x) key, looking at an enemy can't. You have to press select (space, enter, Z) again. That's inconsistent and seems simple to fix.
both tutorial demos show how to make a pre-battle phase ..
(place units on map)
Its just a simple made example to show how to disable the Info text of the first Phases to make it look like they did not happen in order to make an pre battle phase.
Thats not part of a Plugin ,this is made by eventing.
The Maps "chucks map 1 b & c" are made to show this ,but i just tested those 2 maps and they seem to be buged.
Im not sure which upddate made them buggy and why,but i will try to fix that asap.

Edit
-the bug is moving 1 Char on the other what makes both units use the same place.
=> if u want to test this pre battle phase in the buged Version,just remove 1 actor in order to make it impossible that both actors are on the same place.
(than the example will work correctly, however i will still have to fix that bug^^)
Edit2
-the bug happens ,because i made a copy paste mistake, the "shadow" actor Event in this map uses a MoveRoute,which was used for "teleport" or "call actor" as example.This isnt needed in this Situation and it will be fixed with the next update..

(removing the moveroute on "shadow" should fix this)

Bug is Fixed in the current demo versions)

Last edited:

NatePlays

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I like seeing the battlers fight each other in a special scene, I noticed that some people prefer the Map Battle, and I thought of doing that as a toggle-able option.
Sadly, some of my skills use Action Sequences, with effects and evals that are not calculated in map battle. I don't know if there's a solution, so I will leave as is.

Right now I'm thinking on how to differentiate Actors and Enemies and alike. I have no idea on how to do Allies/Neutrals, as the options are 'make them appear in your party but be autobattle', which gives you their status and equip screens, or 'make them an enemy', which doesn't let them attack other enemies?
And, if I have multiple generic Ally soldiers, as they need to be on my team, I have to make multiple of them on the database??

Any thoughts on that?

My game is going well, maybe I'll do a post with some of my systems (Weapon Mastery, Support Dialogue and buffs, Mission Objectives)

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@NatePlays
About toggle SV and Map Battles:

In both tutorial demos im using SV Battles for normal attacks and for Special attack Skills that uses Action Sequences .
(those skills are listed in"special")
For Magic Skills i use MapBattleMode & the Animations from MapBattle and also "moving Animations".
(those skills are listed in "magic")
-> to Controll the "toggle" which battleMode is used ,i use the SkillNotes "Mapbattle:trues/false".
(and the right Mapbbattle Param Setting to use both modes)
==>This way the Tutorial Demos show all things that can be done with both BattleModes (SV & Map)
sry i got no ideas on the other requests yet
--
@
boomy (about Bugfix info)
I found a "mistake" in your SRPG core Edit when Updating the Tutorial Demos.
To incude all your edits,i updated both edited SRPG Cores(old&new) on my Github and in the Tutorial Demos, and i think all changes work correctly now.
Here you can find the Bugfix which i used for the "mistake".
--
@ All
I updated my Github and both Links for the Tutorial Demos in my Signature Spoiler.
Changelog: (on both tutorial demos)
-added SkillNote: "<AgiExtra:false>" for MapBattle Skills..
..to the new core and the "SRPG Extension Demo 1.0"
-added boomys SRPG Core edits
-added boomys new Plugin: (not tested yet)
"SRPG Event Reset After Action.js"
-fixed Pre Battle Phase ,used in "Chucks Map 1b&c"
(place Actors before Battle)
-updated Credits textFile
(will be more detailed in future updates)
--
=> About the SV position Variables from boomys SRPG Core edits:
If using MrTS_BattleCharacterLimit plugin which is shown in both Tutorial Demos, this Plugin will overwrite the position with its Param.
But for those who dont use MrTS_BattleCharacterLimit ,this SRPG Core edit from boomy could be usefull thats why i added it to both SRPG Core Versions (old&new) and both Tutorial Demos.

Last edited:

NatePlays

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@NatePlays
About toggle SV and Map Battles:

In both tutorial demos im using SV Battles for normal attacks and for Special attack Skills that uses Action Sequences .
Yeah, some of my skills use MapBattle (mostly for moving and pushing things, I don't like how the popups show on the map), I just won't make all of them compatible (like special skills with multihits and conditionals and stuff, as the map battle skips the evals from AS)

sry i got no ideas on te other requests yet
No prob, just throwing ideas. Maybe I'll open a General Discussion page for thinking on my game's design.

Gonna check the demo again for some functions!

Last edited:

Doktor_Q

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@NatePlays One of my SRPG_UX plugins, I forget exactly which, specifically does let you cancel out of the unit stats view with X/Esc, because I also thought that was weird. The one that fixes it should list it in the description.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
btw i just recognized ,the first posting has been updated #1.
The Current "new Core" is version 1.31 (or 1.32)
(Link-info says 1.31, Plugin-Info says 1.32)
If i remember correctly,boomy mentioned that there is a new Version & it has no major changes..but currently i cant find the text..
(if anybody knows exactly what changes are made in this Core pls let me now)
-However i will take a look in that New Core from the first posting & update the "SRPG Extension Demo"(which currently uses new Core1.30).
Also i will update the "new Core" from my Github..
=> From now i will call the SRPG_Core that doesnt implemented the Mapbattle Plugin the "old Core"(Thats Version 1.27) and any Core that has the Mapbattle Plugin Implemented and is the "newest Core availleble" will be called the "new Core".
(as soon this is done i will post another Info here of course)

Last edited:

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
btw i just recognized ,the first posting has been updated #1.
The Current "new Core" is version 1.31 (or 1.32)
(Link-info says 1.31, Plugin-Info says 1.32)
If i remember correctly,boomy mentioned that there is a new Version & it has no major changes..but currently i cant find the text..
(if anybody knows exactly what changes are made in this Core pls let me now)
-However i will take a look in that New Core from the first posting & update the "SRPG Extension Demo"(which currently uses new Core1.30).
Also i will update the "new Core" from my Github..
=> From now i will call the SRPG_Core that doesnt implemented the Mapbattle Plugin the "old Core"(Thats Version 1.27) and any Core that has the Mapbattle Plugin Implemented and is the "newest Core availleble" will be called the "new Core".
(as soon this is done i will post another Info here of course)
There is a new 1.32 version that according to github:
ID0番に指定したキャラクター・フェイス画像が表示できない不具合を修正
Which translates to: ID0 (I think this means face index 0) of character face display bug resolved. Based on the changes, it looks like if face index was specified but face name was not, an enemy face would still be drawn (and throw a bug as undefined face name could not be loaded). Now a face name MUST be specified for an enemy face to be drawn.

1.32 also has a lot of "short-hand writing" changes in code writing that do not fix any bugs or add features. For example a lot of lines where if (condition) { value = something } have been replaced with if (condition) value = something (omission of { } )

1.32 also changes where the Number ( ) function is used which was introduced in 1.31. For example, initially minimum Range (minRange) was "numberised" when called but now it is only "numberised" when it is used. Doesn't really change much in the end (numberised being the Number function that is used to change a note tag into a number if its not already a number)

I've made a pull request with my changes (from 1.30 - counter attack update + buff & state core compatability fix + manual placement of enemy characters [thanks @Dopan for fix]) with the updated 1.32Q srpg_core.js

Last edited:

dextrovert

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Howdy ya'll, I'm having the weirdest issue that I can't seem to resolve, yet it should be the simplest thing to do.

I can't make ranged attacks happen.

I know that it's done by <weaponRange:X> on weapons and enemies. I know that if you use <srpgWeapon:X> on an enemy, it assigns said weapon to that enemy. I have tried both of assigning a specific weapon to an enemy and just directly assigning the weapon range tag to an enemy, and in neither case can the enemy do anything but an attack of one range. What's more, I know that <srpgWeapon:X> is working, because it displays the name of the weapon and the stat changes in the combat window. I've even tried outright copying things from the demo, and while range works in the demo (I can even assign say, the longbow to the slimes in Chapter 1 with the expected results), I simply can't get it to work in my own project. I've also tried assigning the weapon to my own actors, who again, get the stat boosts and general "yes it's equipped" but do not get the ability to attack with range.

Using the latest version of RPGMV and SRPG. All plugins loaded in the order given in the demo. Pretty much nothing (outside of changing the variable ID's in the core plugin) has been altered. Everything else working perfectly smoothly.

I'm sure I'm probably missing something extremely obvious, but does anyone have any idea? Would be super appreciated!

EDIT: Having zero problem making ranged skills either.

Last edited:

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a new 1.32 version that according to github:
ID0番に指定したキャラクター・フェイス画像が表示できない不具合を修正
(...)
I've made a pull request with my changes (from 1.30 - counter attack update + buff & state core compatability fix + manual placement of enemy characters [thanks @Dopan for fix]) with the updated 1.32Q srpg_core.js
Ok google translater says about the Jap part :
-> that this solves a bug where the faces where not be shown

(perhaps thats the bug which we called "preloading Issue" and we solved it with preloading the images with a pre loader
plugin from galvr)

.. I thought the Manual Placement is for Actors in SV battles.. not enemys.. Im a bit confused on this part.
However thx @boomy
(for the Infos about the Update)

->And like i mentioned i will add the Newsest Core(1.32.) to my Github & the "extension demo" as soon i edited the Core 1.32.
(to Include all of boomys edits and all of my edits,like i did it with the other SRPG Core Versions)Done

Edit1
My GitHub is updated and has added the edited "SRPG Core 1.32" which is currently the newest SRPG Core.
Also the "SRPG-Extension_Demo" is updated to Version 1.1 & uses the "SRPG Core 1.32"(editedVersion)
("SRPG-Extension_Demo" -link in my signature spoiler is updated)
->"SRPG Core 1.32"(editedVersion) is also attached here

-> this Link shows the Edits made on SRPG core 1.32 (boomys & dopans edits)

Edit2
@ dextrovert
I got no Clue what went wrong in your Project,and if looking into how it works in the demo doesnt help,than its hard to find the problem without knowing your project.
(perhaps you just missed a little thing in your Setup)
-> if you find no other way to solve this, you can send me a copy of your project and i will look into it,but i cant say how long that takes or if i can solve it at the end.
-----------
-----------
=> Attachement Info:
(newest Core used in "SRPG-Extension_Demo1.1)
"SRPG Core 1.32"(editedVersion)

Attachments

Last edited:

dextrovert

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dopan

Hey, thanks for your swift reply and generous offer! Fortunately, I managed to figure it out. I had indeed overlooked something incredibly simple, as is always the way with these things.

NatePlays

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have 1 story chapters and some prologues ready, so I went to test more mechanics stuff, and found the targeting behaviour weird. How enemies define target preference in the SRPG engine, and do they use target rates?

I'm asking because all my enemies, if possible, seem to target my first character (ID 7) instead of any others with higher ID, and ALWAYS. My bow user, who can't counter in close range, stands right in front of a Bat. The bat, however, decides to travel 5 spaces to target (ID 7) first, even if he will get OHKO by him. This is a problem for me, as it is trivializing the game for now: enemies will only attack units near them if its the only option.

For reference, I haven't changed any of the target effects neither in database or in any plugins;
I have SRPG_AIControl set: (Target Formula = 1; Move Formula = nearestOpponent);

EDIT: Taking a look again, I set all classes to have Target Rate = 100%. Does that change anything?
print.png

Last edited:

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have 1 story chapters and some prologues ready, so I went to test more mechanics stuff, and found the targeting behaviour weird. How enemies define target preference in the SRPG engine, and do they use target rates?

I'm asking because all my enemies, if possible, seem to target my first character (ID 7) instead of any others with higher ID, and ALWAYS. My bow user, who can't counter in close range, stands right in front of a Bat. The bat, however, decides to travel 5 spaces to target (ID 7) first, even if he will get OHKO by him. This is a problem for me, as it is trivializing the game for now: enemies will only attack units near them if its the only option.

For reference, I haven't changed any of the target effects neither in database or in any plugins;
I have SRPG_AIControl set: (Target Formula = 1; Move Formula = nearestOpponent);

EDIT: Taking a look again, I set all classes to have Target Rate = 100%. Does that change anything?
Im not sure why the bat moves to the other unit,sry.
DrQ can probably explain this Plugin better than me ,but ill try..
SRPG_AIControl can and should also be used on the skills, in order to make magic skills get used vs Units with lowest Mdef for example.
Every target has a Value and u can change this Value for every Skill.(Target Formula )
Code:
<aiTarget: formula>  custom Target Formula for this skill (SkillNoteTag)
this skillNote should be used to affect the Value ,in oder to decide who gets targeted.
Here is an example on how this skillNote can be used..
JavaScript:
<aiTarget: b.isStateAffected(x) ? 0 : 2>
//this is for state usage it makes sure that,
// if "b" =target is stateAffected ,the Skill wont be used
// only if the target is NOT stateAffected Value is higher than normal..
// ..and this Skill usage will have higher value than normal
// default Normal Value is "1"
Another Example
JavaScript:
<aiTarget: 1-b.hpRate()>
//(example from the plugin info for heal Skill)
//Quote: chooses the target with the lowest HP %, ignoring
//anyone who is unhurt. This is especially useful on healing skills
.. to be honest im not very skilled with these "TARGET FORMULAS" myself ,but i think u can use them to change the enemy tagerting behavior.

there is also the possiblety to use this from the SRPG Core plugin info:
event note:
<mode:aimingEvent> # set this unit's acting pattern 'aim for event with the specified ID'(use this note with <targetId:X>).

<mode:aimingActor> # set this unit's acting pattern 'aim for actor with the specified ID'(use this note with <targetId:X>).
in order to make Units Aim a specific Actor or Event

Last edited:

NatePlays

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks Dopan!

I set actor7's target rate to *100, along the rates from classes, and now it's working on random chance, as it should be... I don't know why that is but, welp, its working...

As for target formulas, the bigger the number for each in range, the more likely to target right? What about 0, or negatives? Do they prevent targetting outright or just make it less likely?
Lastly, the formulas are evals, right? So can I make the plugin parameter test a variable (say, difficulty), then assign the default formulas according to it? I think something like:
JavaScript:
<aiTarget: $gameVariables.value('difficultyVariable') == 2 ? b.hpRate() : 1>
To test variable 'difficultyVariable' (I'd put a number there), if not on dif 2 all enemies would default aim randomly, and if on dif 2 they'd be smarter...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

If you're reviewing someone else's game, don't focus only on the negative and criticize them. Use positive constructive feedback. As game developers, we need to empower one another; not put each other down.
just posted a song I made for my game a while back... I sampled the HEY from Earthworm Jim's Snot a problem levels lol...
Based on this screenshot alone, which one would you sell, and which to equip?
Some random sketch-letons.

I have a strong urge to make a tutorial video of all the random things I've learned since starting on my game. little helpful tips and stuff that may help people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggleston