SRPG Engine - [Add Votes for RTP] Plugins for creating Turn Based Strategy game

If I provided RTP for this project, what style would you choose? (not guaranteed to be applied)

• RPG Maker MV style

• RPG Maker MV in Tonbi tall sprite style

• SRPG Studio style

• Pioneer Valley Games style

• Other style (please suggest it in comment section of this Thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shoukang

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any way to make a battle preparation phase to change actor positions? I think @Dopan has a demo with the battle preparation phase but I can't find it.

Last edited:

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do I initialize/change TP for a certain enemy? Doesn't find any script command for it.
Also, is there any way to make a battle preparation phase to change actor positions? I think @Dopan has a demo with the battle preparation phase but I can't find it.
on the tp thing :
JavaScript:
$gameSystem.EventToUnit(eventID)[1].gainTp(TPamount);
// i think tp amount can also be negative value.. "-1" for example
=> these script codes aswell as other similar stuff can be found in my plugin Unit groups

=> i got most of these scripts from these links:

Usefull Scriptcalls Info (Page is not made by me)
alternative Scriptcall List (Page is not made by me)

("$gameSystem.EventToUnit(eventID)[1]" gives access to the "battler" and "actor" stuff..thats why "gainTp" "gainMp" , "gainHp" and "gainExp" works well here)

-> IMG shows that we can use "$gameSystem.EventToUnit(eventID)[1]" instead of "$gameActors.actor(actorId)"

Screenshot_1.png

on the battle preparation:
the tutorial demos are no longer availleble, however i made the preparation phase by skiping other phases and reseting the battle..
That was controlled with switches.. basicly this way the first (actors-)turn becomes the pre battle phase, but it only allows "teleporting" the actor units in a certain range while other skills & skilltypes are deativated..
..and when that (actors-)turn has ended the battle gets ended and starts again ..this "reset" was triggered at start of the enemy turn if the "pre battle switch" is active..
(sry but i cant show the eventing solution without the tutorial demo.. and my solution was very experimental but it works)

------------
------------

@BlueCheezus

honestly idk, but it should be possible to look into the code from the plugin where it handles this function and add a restriction that asks if the "target" and "acting" UNIT are alive .. i just cant focus on working on JS at the moment..
also i have no EXP on editing the "position effects" plugin..
it took me a lot of work to understand 50% of the mapbattle plugin in order to edit it and in order to make the mapforceaction plugin which still needs final edits

Last edited:

Shoukang

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
on the tp thing :
JavaScript:
$gameSystem.EventToUnit(eventID)[1].gainTp(TPamount);
// i think tp amount can also be negative value.. "-1" for example
=> these script codes aswell as other similar stuff can be found in my plugin Unit groups

=> i got most of these scripts from these links:

Usefull Scriptcalls Info (Page is not made by me)
alternative Scriptcall List (Page is not made by me)

("$gameSystem.EventToUnit(eventID)[1]" gives access to the "battler" and "actor" stuff..thats why "gainTp" "gainMp" , "gainHp" and "gainExp" works well here)

-> IMG shows that we can use "$gameSystem.EventToUnit(eventID)[1]" instead of "$gameActors.actor(actorId)"

View attachment 182212

on the battle preparation:
the tutorial demos are no longer availleble, however i made the preparation phase by skiping other phases and reseting the battle..
That was controlled with switches.. basicly this way the first (actors-)turn becomes the pre battle phase, but it only allows "teleporting" the actor units in a certain range while other skills & skilltypes are deativated..
..and when that (actors-)turn has ended the battle gets ended and starts again ..this "reset" was triggered at start of the enemy turn if the "pre battle switch" is active..
(sry but i cant show the eventing solution without the tutorial demo.. and my solution was very experimental but it works)

------------
------------
Thanks, I figured the TP thing out, and about the battle preparation, I find another way which I think is more convenient, by creating a playerEvent that disappears after any action, you can see my picture here.
1615345539474.png
Besides, if you have Yep_ShopMenuCore, You can open the shop menu instead. This plugin allows you to equip in the shop. and no need to refresh battle for shopping/eqip.

Last edited:

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, I figured the TP thing out, and about the battle preparation, I find another way which I think is more convenient, by creating a playerEvent that disappears after any action, you can see my picture here.
View attachment 182404
there are allways several ways to do stuff^^
aslong you got something that works for you ,its fine

i am not sure which one is better.. best would be if we had a nice plugin for that.. but it works with eventing anyway^^

Jonruy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was testing skills and noticed some weird behavior regarding counterattacks and the AreaAttack plugin. Looks like a bug.

My actor has an attack with a range of 2 and area range of 1. From where he's standing, he can hit all three enemies with it at once by targetting the one in the middle. These enemies all have a counterattack range of 1. Because of how area attacks work, the player selects a target for the attack and then "confirms" the decision by selecting one of the enemies within area range.

If I confirm the attack by selecting the enemy on the left, all three of them are able to counterattack. If I confirm the attack by selecting either of the other two enemies, none of them are able to counterattack. I would think that the left enemy would be the only one to counterattack regardless of how I confirm the skill.

Attachments

• Faction Game Screenshot.png
    Faction Game Screenshot.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 1

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was testing skills and noticed some weird behavior regarding counterattacks and the AreaAttack plugin. Looks like a bug.

My actor has an attack with a range of 2 and area range of 1. From where he's standing, he can hit all three enemies with it at once by targetting the one in the middle. These enemies all have a counterattack range of 1. Because of how area attacks work, the player selects a target for the attack and then "confirms" the decision by selecting one of the enemies within area range.

If I confirm the attack by selecting the enemy on the left, all three of them are able to counterattack. If I confirm the attack by selecting either of the other two enemies, none of them are able to counterattack. I would think that the left enemy would be the only one to counterattack regardless of how I confirm the skill.
well i cant say anything about the area attack plugin, because we use the aoe plugin from DrQ instead..
However i allways advice to make AOE skills "uncounterable" because in some cases on AOEs, Units might even counter if they shouldnt be able by the range
Screenshot_1.png
you can find DrQs original AOE plugin on his Github, or the edited version ,which i edited for a little feature, on my Github..

Jonruy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
well i cant say anything about the area attack plugin, because we use the aoe plugin from DrQ instead..
However i allways advice to make AOE skills "uncounterable" because in some cases on AOEs, Units might even counter if they shouldnt be able by the range
I'll look into that. I just went with the one plugin in the parent post.

Still, I was hoping to have area attacks counterable. I was thinking it would be a really interesting strategic decision for the player; weighing the potential to attack multiple targets against being counterattacked be multiple targets in the process.

posfan12

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A few simple questions:

1. Does this plugin require yanfly's plugins?
2. Is it compatible with yanfly's plugins?
3. Or should I start over with a fresh project?

Thanks!

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A few simple questions:

1. Does this plugin require yanfly's plugins?
2. Is it compatible with yanfly's plugins?
3. Or should I start over with a fresh project?

Thanks!
1. no, but it can be helpfull if compatible
2.yes but not every yep plugin is compatible, in the past i made a tutorial demo to show which yep plugins (and other plugins) are easy compatible and we had even some compatiblety patches for some yep plugins..
..but yanfly considered this tutorial demo as "redistribution" of her plugins and changed her terms to forbid it, that forced me to make this tutorial demo unavailleble anymore.
(i only used free yep plugins on that tutorial demo,but even that wasnt wanted)
-> and i dont have the time and energie to make a new tutorial demo where i cut out all yep plugins..also it doesnt make much sence.

3. you could try ryans demo first in order to figure out how everything works
(ryan made this topic, i am only trying to help answering questions)

edit
i attached a screenshot of a part of the tutorial demos pluginmanager to give you atleast a hint which Yep Plugins should be compatible.. ("Screenshot 1" attached on this posting)
->also if using the yep core , and using the newsest srpg core, you have to make the right setup in the srpg core param

correct param setup info img:

(if using "yep battleEngineCore")

Screenshot_2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    287.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Den_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
edit
@Den_C &@ Brother_Fox
bythe way.. nice forumprofile img.. did you made it yourself?

Sorry, I’ve missed this question.
It’s a picture from the Internet, I’m not an artist.

posfan12

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. no, but it can be helpfull if compatible
2.yes but not every yep plugin is compatible, in the past i made a tutorial demo to show which yep plugins (and other plugins) are easy compatible and we had even some compatiblety patches for some yep plugins..
..but yanfly considered this tutorial demo as "redistribution" of her plugins and changed her terms to forbid it, that forced me to make this tutorial demo unavailleble anymore.
(i only used free yep plugins on that tutorial demo,but even that wasnt wanted)
-> and i dont have the time and energie to make a new tutorial demo where i cut out all yep plugins..also it doesnt make much sence.

3. you could try ryans demo first in order to figure out how everything works
(ryan made this topic, i am only trying to help answering questions)

edit
i attached a screenshot of a part of the tutorial demos pluginmanager to give you atleast a hint which Yep Plugins should be compatible.. ("Screenshot 1" attached on this posting)
->also if using the yep core , and using the newsest srpg core, you have to make the right setup in the srpg core param

correct param setup info img:

(if using "yep battleEngineCore")

Thanks that is helpful. However, I got an error message when starting the game:

"Failed to load: img/characters/srpg_set.png"

The file was in one of the demos, so not too hard to track down.

Last edited:

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks that is helpful. However, I got an error message when starting the game:

"Failed to load: img/characters/srpg_set.png"

The file was in one of the demos, so not too hard to track down.
that means that you are missing the img in your char folder..
its this one:
(attached to this posting)

i guess you got that img but with a different name, you can change the used name for this in the core param:
Screenshot_1.png

its responseble for the cursor on battle map and for the E X A mark which an Unit gets
(E =turnEnded _ X= status that disables the Unit _ A= autoUnit)

if you use the not edited core and 3x4 frames on your char, this attached img is fine

but if you want to use frame plugins that enable more than 3x4 frames than you need an edited version of the core and some additional E,X,A imgs
(incase you need that pls let me know , i will provide the needed stuff)

Attachments

• srpg_set.png
    srpg_set.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 5

posfan12

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are the character sprites in "srpg_set.png" used for anything? Or just the cursor and icons? Can I safely remove the characters?

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are the character sprites in "srpg_set.png" used for anything? Or just the cursor and icons? Can I safely remove the characters?
yes you can remove them but the img size must stay the same

Den_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
<mode:stand> set this unit's acting pattern 'stand if enemy don't nearby

Could someone explain to me, please, what “nearby” means here exactly? Distance? Line of sight? Can the characters use stealth to avoid the enemies? I tried different variations and couldn’t understand how it works.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Could someone explain to me, please, what “nearby” means here exactly? Distance? Line of sight? Can the characters use stealth to avoid the enemies? I tried different variations and couldn’t understand how it works.
Well i wasnt sure about the exact range amount, so i tested it and..

..i think it depends on the Units Movement and Attack Range..

If a Unit can move close enough within 1 turn, to attack another Unit than its "nearby"..
(fields that affect the movement range so that the Unit cant reach the other Unit with an attack/skill will change this.. so its not allways the same range amount that decides what "nearby" is)

EXAMPLE:
on following img all Units except Unit 19 will move and attack
(even if Unit 14 is more far away)

Note->the IceField needs more movement points than regular fields.. in this project Setup.
Screenshot_1.png
Unit 14 is 5steps away from Unit 9
Unit 19 is 4steps away from Unit 9

-> Unit 19 wont move because all fields that Unit 19 will pass are IceFields and this would cost more Movement.

so its not allways an exact range that limits it, Units that are closer but are affected by the IceField ,so that they cant get close enough wont move, even if they seem to be closer than other Units which will move&attack..

-> about the "stealth" Question:
sry i dont know..

Last edited:

Shoukang

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Hi, about the stealth skill, the SRPG_AIcontrol plugin has a notetag <aiIgnore> which will make the enemies ignore your unit. You can use this note tag in a state.
I think nearby simply means within the attack range of the enemy. So it's move range + skill range(this skill range is the longest range of all the skills the enemy has, so the red attack grid is not very reliable if your enemy has some long-range skills that exceed the weapon range of the enemy. I hope someone can optimize it).
Once you are in the nearby range or the enemy was attacked, the stand mode no longer exists and the enemy will use the default move nearest foe.

Last edited:

Den_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you very much. This opens up many possibilities to make maps different.

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hi @boomy
I just found some small bugs in your pathfinding plugin.
Since the amount of actors may change in my game, I put excessive actor events with tag <type:actor><id:0> on the battle map. In this case, your plugin will report error at line 676. Because the $gameSystem.EventToUnit(i)[1].isStateAffected(1) and $gameSystem.EventToUnit(i)[1].hp is null for the excessive actor events.
I fixed it with try... catch... but I guess it's not a professional way to do it, I'm a beginner at coding. If you can update this plugin that would be great.

Another one is when I use the tag <srpgThroughTag:X>, to allow some fly units to fly through terrains. I think your plugin didn't consider this tag because the fly units will detour with the pathfinding plugin.
Hello

Sorry for delayed reply.
I don't have the time I used to have when I created the script but I have updated my script to do a null check
I also added srpgThroughTag compatability

Pathfinding works by creating a map (as an assocative array) which lists each tile as either passable or not.
A tile is flagged as impassable if its defined in the editor or an event is on it (with object tag / active unit)
The new fix adds a check to change a tile to be impassable only if terrainTag == 0 or if terrainTag of tile is greater the srpgThroughTag

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@boomy

btw i recognized that your "resource blog"-link is broken..
(just to let you know incase you didnt recognized it)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

here's another RPG Maker remake idea: "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties". I'll salute to whomever does this
I won't finish it today, I only will have time to work on that next Saturday, what a shame... :(
I made something for @LittenDev [as he requested]
It's been a weird while. I've been so torn down that even playing video games has been something I avoided. But I shouldn't forget two things. One, I love RPG Maker for a reason. Two, only way to eat an elephant is a bite at a time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izaya_Nozomu