SRPG Engine - Plugins for creating Turn Based Strategy game

Steamknight

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the end I found that the easiest option was to set Yanfly's enemy levels plugin to base levels off the highest level in the whole party. I have tried this today with the demo and it seemed to work. Many thanks Doktor_Q and MetalKing11417

John_Perry

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could you make on map battle plugin with common event of the skill available?

Oh, and I've just found that SRPG Engine isn't compatible with Yanfly's Item core plugin:kaocry:
This conflict between two plugins was the main reason of RangeError

Last edited:

ScottF14

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not entirely certain how to best explain this, so please bear with me.

First, this system is a god-send for me. It works beautifully with a bit of tweaking.

There are a few suggestions that I have that would help further enhance this engine's abilities. I don't know anything about java script, or I would do this myself. However, just by eyeballing what is being done it seems like it should be entirely possible.

The on map battle plugin is great, and I am given to believe that it is waiting for some approval before that plugin's better version can be released. I'm extremely excited for it!

One of the biggest reasons for that excitement? The area attack plug-in is something of a vital necessity for any sort of tactical battle system... and yet, it has a glaring 'issue' at least for me. With the on map plugin, this isn't a problem. The base core system where you can have the combatants face off in the battle screen, however, can drive me nuts when I use the area attack plugin. This is because the player, or the enemy, will spawn the battle instance, replay the casting, and do the damage for each and every enemy in range of the effect. This makes it look like the game is loosing its mind.

The on map plugin is the easiest work around, but the core system is such a lovely concept that I hope someone would address this issue. My thoughts on how to address it?

The possibly best result would be to make it so that when multiple enemies or allies are targeted, the battle instance pulls everyone involved into the same battle space. They do whatever attack they were going to do, the opposition counters or not, the battle ends.

This might be impossible to do? I don't know.

The other alternative that I see, is to add in a plugin that makes that system work more like 'Ogre Battle' Instead of a single player on enemy unit per unit event.. have the unit event be either a party or a troop.

I'm not sure how much work that would take to make happen, but events can already spawn troops and change parties naturally. So, add in a function where you can add tags to an event that warrant this... Instead of '<type:enemy><id:4>' It would be '<type:troop><id:4>'.

The same for the player units. There would need to be a way to designate leaders of the party and the troops, so an event note tag like <Troop Leader: 1> for troops, or <Commander: 1> for the party as I'm sure there's a ton of plugins that use 'Party leader' that might conflict because of it.

This would allow you to set that troop to have the leader of that event be the range and movement basis, as well as the onscreen appearance. Barring that, the leader would just offer the appearance, and possibly an option of 'This guy died, whole unit flees the battle' for developers to torment players with.

In the latter case, the event would need a note tag for the troop. Something like
<Troop Move: 4>
<Troop Range: 3>
For archers and casters.

Have it so the battles either take place as they do now, but with a full roster of enemies and party members, (Basically a one round auto-battle, hopefully workable with something like yanfly's formation rows plugin where you can force the character to use only skills associated with their row and range) or perhaps expand that to allow for multiple rounds per side that are player controlled. Something like a note tag for the engine events that allow for all this and resets the basic battle instance to works with . This would be so that the developers could allow for

There's no doubt several things that would need to be added to that, which I don't know about. Possibly need to base the party concept off of things like Yanfly's party system plugin. There's also making sure all these parties don't conflict with each other somehow.

If this route was taken, there would probably need to be greater care

Masochists could probably still use the area attack plugin with that normally, if it's functionality isn't somehow impacted (Probably would be) but with the ability to set areas of attack, a combination of the first plugin concept and this other ogre battle style one, would allow for all of the battle in that area to take place in one screen like a wave effect. (Troop 1 yeeted out, but reinforcements have arrived... Troop 2 appears)

So, maybe the first thing I said is easier? I'm not sure.

I mean, there's probably a ton of other ways to do this that are simpler. I'd just like to see an area attack plugin that works with the battle instance that doesn't make it look like the game has gone insane. The on map battle works great, even if it's cited as 'early'. I'd love to see the battle instance get some love.

Doktor_Q

I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could you make on map battle plugin with common event of the skill available?

Oh, and I've just found that SRPG Engine isn't compatible with Yanfly's Item core plugin:kaocry:
This conflict between two plugins was the main reason of RangeError
The common event should work just fine even normally, but yes, the version of mapAttack I have does support it too.

Could you elaborate on the incompatibility? Is it just having the two installed together, or does anything in particular show up in the dev console when you try to use them together? Other than the range error.

MetalKing11417

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I am using the item core and getting nothing wrong.

- A minor note: from what I have found- the item durability plug-in works fine, but only for player units. For enemy units, this is bypassed entirely. This can be good or bad depending on how you plan to implement durability.
EDIT: There is a minor error that comes up with the durability plugin- the text displays <Center> and the icon is rendered as text when an item breaks.

Last edited:

John_Perry

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The common event should work just fine even normally, but yes, the version of mapAttack I have does support it too.

Could you elaborate on the incompatibility? Is it just having the two installed together, or does anything in particular show up in the dev console when you try to use them together? Other than the range error.
It was because of the sequence of the plugins, I put Item core plugin above SRPG plugin and anything works fine :)

kyogre0903

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi I was trying out using the double attack plugin (the SRPG_AgiAttackPlus), and no matter what number I set the ratio to, none of the actors attack twice, even when the actor's agility is much higher than the enemy's. To test I put the enemy's agility at 1 and the actor's at 18, but still nothing. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

big_noob

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made something that could be useful to some of you.

My project relies heavily on the use ofskills, and I really disliked the way the skill selection window covered the whole screen.

After messing around for a bit, I managed to get it looking like this:

1577571206773.png

If you'd like to use this setup, simply change the line 4539 of the SRPG_core.js to this:

this._skillWindow = new Window_BattleSkill((12 + wy), ((-40) + wh), 784, 144);

Theres probably a better way, but I'm not a programmer and it's a miracle this even worked, lol.

You could probably do the same thing with the Items menu by changing the line 4550.

Anyways, byebye

Attachments

Doktor_Q

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Still waiting for my commits to the main file to get approved, but in the meantime I polished up another batch of plugins that should be safe to use with the current system, some of which you've already seen:

SRPG_StatBasedCounter.js ties a unit's chance of getting a counterattack to the "Counter Attack" trait. This works fine with things like Uncounterable Attack and non-countering weapons. It's handy if you want counterattacks to only happen sometimes, or to be a unique ability rather than the default.

SRPG_UX_Selection.js adds options for controlling how the cursor moves and acts in battle, expands on the ability to cycle through usable actors with page up / page down to include cycling through valid targets for a skill, and other options to automatically move the cursor around or skip certain steps to let the player do things faster. These features can be adjusted via plugin parameters.

SRPG_UX_Windows.js lets you hide the reward window if you didn't get any rewards from a battle (no exp, gold, or items), hide the second status window if you target yourself with a skill, makes status windows close when you hit "back" or "accept," and fixes a weird issue where skills wouldn't be disabled when you didn't have enough MP / etc. Some of the features can be adjusted via plugin parameters.

SRPG_MapBattle_early.js is an update to my earlier MapAttack plugin, now supporting multi-hit skills, magic reflection, casting animations, and properly integrating with SRPG_PositionEffects. There's still one or two missing features, but I consider them comparatively minor, so I'm releasing it for now.

SRPG_MapBattle_Motions.js integrates the features from DRQ_EventMotions with SRPG_MapBattle, so the artistically-minded can more visual flair to the standard MapBattle combat, with things like screen shake on hit that varies by damage or critical hit status, and custom motions for using attacks, moving, or taking damage.

Lasltly, an update to SRPG_PositionEffects.js adds the option to push targets left or right (relative to the skill's user), so you can make tornados, whirlpools, and swiping attacks, or whatever you like.

Let me know if you encounter any specific errors or undocumented incompatibilities, and I'll see if I can't fix them.

Steamknight

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone. I have an issue and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am getting a graphical error whereby the edges of the battlebacks are displaying strangely: see the screenshot.
SRPG engine error.GIF
I assumed the issue would be the order of my plugins, so I replicated the exact order of the plugins from the SRPG demo, but I'm still getting the error. Has anyone seen this before?

Edit: Solved. Simple solution: the problem was obviosly image size - some of the images I was using were 1110 wide, some were 1000 wide. Not sure how i managed that. Rookie mistake. Sorry everyone.

Last edited:

Chazareth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to change an enemy unit's TP outside of battle? Right now, I'm using TP as a system where every action requires a certain amount of TP and all of your units gain some of their TP back at the beginning of every player phase. However, I can't get this to work for enemies at the beginning of every enemy phase, as there is no event command to change an enemy's TP.

Doktor_Q

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to change an enemy unit's TP outside of battle? Right now, I'm using TP as a system where every action requires a certain amount of TP and all of your units gain some of their TP back at the beginning of every player phase. However, I can't get this to work for enemies at the beginning of every enemy phase, as there is no event command to change an enemy's TP.
No, as enemy units normally shouldn't exist outside of battle. My recommendation for the least scripting-intensive way would be to just apply TP Regeneration via Ex Params, rather than doing it via event. It will happen at the end of the whole round instead of the start of a phase, but 1) the end of the round is the same as the start of the player phase anyway, 2) the player isn't in control of the enemy phase and the enemy doesn't have to look at TP ahead of time, so it shouldn't matter as long as they gained the TP by the time their turn comes around.

big_noob

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Troublesome Knight
I think theres more than one way to do this.

For example, you could create a "<type:afterAction>" event checking if an specific enemy has been defeated, then make your dialogues and add the actor in the map (you could use the event of the witch actor "waking up" in the first level of the demo as a template)

Vassim74

It's a Secret!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not able to check right now since I'm not at my PC where MV installed, but is there a way to make move distance based on how many TP your unit has? IE: 10 TP will allow you to potentially move 10 spaces, but every movement you make costs a certain number of TP. So if you have 0 TP, you can't move.

Doktor_Q

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not able to check right now since I'm not at my PC where MV installed, but is there a way to make move distance based on how many TP your unit has? IE: 10 TP will allow you to potentially move 10 spaces, but every movement you make costs a certain number of TP. So if you have 0 TP, you can't move.
Not without writing your own extension plugin for it. Wouldn't be too hard, as those go, though- there's a single function that returns what a unit's movement range is, based on their class's base value and any bonuses or penalties, you could just replace the base value with "this.tp" or the a similar equation.

big_noob

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys, I found one more apparent incompatibility.

The SRPG battles don't seem to be compatible with Yanfly's Limited Uses plugin.

The limit of uses shows up in the Skill selection window, but it doesn't goes down as you use the skill.

This is not particularly surprising, since we had previously seen that the Yanfly's Cooldown plugin wasn't compatible with SRPG battles until @Doktor_Q fixed it, however I thought I'd point it out here, since I only got around to testing it now.

I'm posting the plugin in question along with this message in case anyone would like to try and fix it, since I can't code, lol.

Have a good new year folks!

Doktor_Q

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys, I found one more apparent incompatibility.

The SRPG battles don't seem to be compatible with Yanfly's Limited Uses plugin.

The limit of uses shows up in the Skill selection window, but it doesn't goes down as you use the skill.

This is not particularly surprising, since we had previously seen that the Yanfly's Cooldown plugin wasn't compatible with SRPG battles until @Doktor_Q fixed it, however I thought I'd point it out here, since I only got around to testing it now.

I'm posting the plugin in question along with this message in case anyone would like to try and fix it, since I can't code, lol.

Have a good new year folks!
Since the plugin is being sold for money now, you probably shouldn't post it as an attachment.

Also that's odd, since I was using it just fine in one of my projects before. I'll double check to see if there's any odd edge cases, but it's possible it's caused by a different plugin you have, or the wrong plugin order (I put limited uses directly after the skill core, above all the SRPG plugins).

big_noob

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the response!

I removed the attachment. I could have sworn that plugin was available for free, thanks for letting me know.

My plugin order is similar to yours based on what you said, so I'll check if I can get it working by disabling other plugins.

Thanks!

Doktor_Q

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@big_noob the one thing I can think of is whether you have it set to replenish limited uses after battle, since every skill that opens the battle scene might be counted as "after battle."

Also, I added a new extension to the repository: SRPG_MovePath. When installed, it shows the path your unit will walk with an arrow, like in most other tactics games. It's image-based so you can customize it to fit your game's theme, and I provide two images you can use to get started. Of note: The images need to be in the img/system/ folder, alongside your iconset, game over screen, etc.

Last edited:

big_noob

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Doktor_Q I just tested your new SRPG_MovePath plugin, it looks and works great! Gonna definitely use it in my project, thanks!

Also, whatever the problem is with the Limited Uses Plugin, your Map Battle plugin fixes it, so you're most likely right about the problem being the battle scene. I messed around a lot with the Limited Uses plugin's settings but none of them seem to fix the problem. Do you think its something similiar to what you talked about with the Cooldown plugin?

Speaking of which, I downloaded the new version of your Map Battle plugin and its a huge improvement from the previous one. Do you think it will eventually support damage pop up support, like for weaknesses and resistances, states and etc?

Thanks so much for your support, it really means a lot,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've developed a habit of thanking cleaning ladies for their work.
Sorry Aerith... I will abandon your shoes... :guffaw:
Spent a whole bunch of time today reworking the area in the video because someone said it was too illusory. So I reworked it so it changes less, moved the grass up to the same level as the player.... And found enough extra resources to make the grass moves when the player touches it. Also lots more water, because it looks amazing. I'll probably put up a short updated video later today.
I never noticed how NOISY birds can be in the morning..
The worst part of writing the thesis is getting to a point where it's nearly done and you feel like an 8th-grader could've written something on that level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stearen