Doktor_Q

I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dopan Good catch- not sure how that got through. The github for SRPG_Teams has been updated.

Shamshiel

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder when on-map battles will become available. I've been looking to make a tactics game for a while now and I got RPGMaker MV on sale for dirt cheap a while ago. I don't wanna learn programming at the moment 'cuz I don't have the patience (lol) and this system is the easiest to use for MV at the moment. Unfortunately, with MZ out now, I don't think the on-map system will come out anymore. I mean, I haven't binged all the messages before this one, so, I dunno what the current pluginguy[TM] is even up to. My major inspirations are FE and Tactics Ogre (by extension, this also includes FFT).

TL;DR I wanna make a nice, short, sweet tactics game without too much hassle and the on-map battle system is what I'm waiting on... any alternatives I could try? Any idea if and when the on-map addition will be made?

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder when on-map battles will become available. I've been looking to make a tactics game for a while now and I got RPGMaker MV on sale for dirt cheap a while ago. I don't wanna learn programming at the moment 'cuz I don't have the patience (lol) and this system is the easiest to use for MV at the moment. Unfortunately, with MZ out now, I don't think the on-map system will come out anymore. I mean, I haven't binged all the messages before this one, so, I dunno what the current pluginguy[TM] is even up to. My major inspirations are FE and Tactics Ogre (by extension, this also includes FFT).

TL;DR I wanna make a nice, short, sweet tactics game without too much hassle and the on-map battle system is what I'm waiting on... any alternatives I could try? Any idea if and when the on-map addition will be made?
Öhm SRPG can do most things that we know from FFT for example.. including "on map battle"..
Thats what SRPG_Mapbattle.js is made for.
(from DrQ)
And thats what SRPG_MapForceActions.js is made for.
(from me)
But i am still working on inproving SRPG_MapForceActions.js

However at first SRPG and all its extensions and extra Plugins might look a bit hard to understand,but if you take some time to look into it, you will see its a nice way to build games like FFT ect.
So if you have Questions on how to handle SRPG, or things that are hard to understand,pls ask^^

Last edited:

theredglove

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Dopan @Doktor_Q

How does the SRPG plugin interact with the Battle Engine? I'm trying to use Yanfly's enemy levels but it won't spawn enemies beyond level 1-2, regardless of my player level. I would also like to use his Battle Aftermath plugin to show attribute gains from level ups. It should do both of those things at the beginning of every battle, but since neither the SRPGBattles nor the unit-on-unit fights in this plugin appear to be considered "battles" by RPG Maker, I'm at a loss for what to do.

Is there a way to feed a piece of script into the battleStart event that would "trick" RPGMaker into thinking that SRPGBattles are battles? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dopan @Doktor_Q

How does the SRPG plugin interact with the Battle Engine? I'm trying to use Yanfly's enemy levels but it won't spawn enemies beyond level 1-2, regardless of my player level. I would also like to use his Battle Aftermath plugin to show attribute gains from level ups. It should do both of those things at the beginning of every battle, but since neither the SRPGBattles nor the unit-on-unit fights in this plugin appear to be considered "battles" by RPG Maker, I'm at a loss for what to do.

Is there a way to feed a piece of script into the battleStart event that would "trick" RPGMaker into thinking that SRPGBattles are battles? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
@theredglove
I am not sure if this info is helpfull and i cant give u a proper solution because i dont know "Yanfly's enemy levels" or "Battle Aftermath"..sry.
(and im still stuck with another Issue myself)
As far as i understand it,there is a plugin that does the connection (SRPG_YEP_BattleEngineCore.js.) but it only add the : 'cast animation'
Im currently working on better understanding SRPG_Mapbattle.js in order to improve SRPG_MapForceAction.js..and im about to add a function (to both plugins) that adds a common event trigger to the BattleAction(mapbatlle"true"only) in oder to make "MapActionText" work.Perhaps the used PluginCommonEvent can help to make that Connection which u want..
In SV battles u can use the troop event instead of the mentioned PluginCommonEvent
(if that can help to make the wanted connection)
=> or you could try something with Custom Execution Skillnote on both kind of BattleActions 'SV' or 'Map'
(for the timing of the BattleAction itself)

@Doktor_Q
I think i found out the Main Issue why i get compatiblety Issues betwen the Functions of SRPG_Mapbattle.js and SRPG_MapForceAction.js.
Even if i replicate the needed Functions (with other Names = renamed function clone) in order to avoid compatiblety Issues,there is one thing that i cant understand and that seem to make the Main compatiblety Issue..
Its about :
Code:
this._srpgSkillList = this._srpgSkillList || [];
How does this work and where is this Part created in the first place ?
Code:
_srpgSkillList
I cant replicate and rename it.. it only works with the exakt same name,but i could only find it in the SRPG_Mapbattle.js Plugin.
If i use the exakt same name in both Plugins, the first-usage in the SRPG_Mapbattle.js Plugin will disable this function somehow for the SRPG_MapForceAction.js Plugin ..
For example i tried something like this to Replace that Code everywhere in the SRPG_MapForceAction.js Plugin:
Code:
this._forceSkillList = this._forceSkillList || [];

_forceSkillList // everywhere "_srpgSkillList" was used
but most Part of the BattleAction wont apply this way..
(the same way like if SRPG_Mapbattle.js first-usage,disabled it for SRPG_MapForceAction.js)
Why does it have to be this exakt name :
_srpgSkillList ?
It seems to trigger most part of the BattleAction..
(apply dmg,animations,.. ect)
..using this Code:
Code:
this._srpgSkillList.unshift(data);
// or
this._srpgSkillList.push(data);
The only walkaround i can do at the moment is to make SRPG_MapForceAction.js use most of the original SRPG_Mapbattle.js Functions,but than i have to make sure that the first-battleAction is triggered from SRPG_MapForceAction.js, in order to make everything work correctly..(i dont know why).. and i would like to avoid that.

Last edited:

Doktor_Q

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@theredglove I believe there was a question earlier about enemy levels as well- the answer is that you can't use scaling based on "who's in the battle party" since SRPG_Core doesn't use the battle party the normal way. You should be able to use scaling based on the whole party, though.

@Dopan Scene_Map._srpgSkillList is a variable that is part of the map scene. It's not used in just a single function, but everywhere it needs to check the skill count, and a lot of things won't happen until it is empty.
JavaScript:
is just a way of initializing the list- if the skill list was previously undefined (very first time this code is reached), it creates an array for it, otherwise it uses the one it already has.

Honestly, you should be able to just call Scene_Map.srpgBattleStart with the right parameters, and have everything work regardless of whether its using mapBattle or not? SRPG_AoE and SRPG_core should have examples of building the arrays.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@theredglove I believe there was a question earlier about enemy levels as well- the answer is that you can't use scaling based on "who's in the battle party" since SRPG_Core doesn't use the battle party the normal way. You should be able to use scaling based on the whole party, though.

@Dopan Scene_Map._srpgSkillList is a variable that is part of the map scene. It's not used in just a single function, but everywhere it needs to check the skill count, and a lot of things won't happen until it is empty.
JavaScript:
is just a way of initializing the list- if the skill list was previously undefined (very first time this code is reached), it creates an array for it, otherwise it uses the one it already has.

Honestly, you should be able to just call Scene_Map.srpgBattleStart with the right parameters, and have everything work regardless of whether its using mapBattle or not? SRPG_AoE and SRPG_core should have examples of building the arrays.
I figured out that "Scene_Map.srpgBattleStart",exist 2 times.
1 time in SRPG_Core.js and 1 time in SRPG_Mapbattle.js
These 2 dont conflict with each other ..,but if i use Scene_Map.srpgBattleStart in my Plugin(SRPG_MapFoceAction.js),than i get conflicts,thats why i made an own "Scene_Map.forceMapBattleStart" and get no Conflict with the SRPG_Core: "Scene_Map.srpgBattleStart".
But as soon my "Scene_Map.forceMapBattleStart" triggers the "_srpgSkillList" , i get Conflict with the "SRPG_MapBattle.js"..
First i thought its about how Scene map works,but now i think its about "_srpgSkillList"
(thats why i wanted to replicate this variable with another name).
I just cant figure out where the "_srpgSkillList"-variable is created .. It cant be there by rpg Default, because rpg doesnt know srpg-engine.
How is this added to be part of "map scene" ??
(in order to find out how to replicate this with another name)

Or how do i make it Empty?
(perhaps that could solve my issue)

I looked also into SRPG_AOE.js & SRPG_Core.js ect but that didnt help..

As far as i understand it using "this.*function*" will add the other function into the Used function and somehow this makes the Conflict if i dont use my Plugins MapAction before the MapAction of SRPG_Mapbattle.js.
(the other way around makes no problem..if my Plugin triggers the first MapAction,the MapActions of SRPG_MapBattle.js will still work)

Last edited:

Doktor_Q

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dopan So, my question is, are you trying to modify sprgStartBattle? You should just be able to call the function without changes, if you provide it the correct arrays for user and target without changes, and it would be compatible with both SRPG_core and SRPG_MapBattle, since those don't change how the startup works.

As to _srpgSkillList, javascript variables don't necessarily need to be "created" if they're part of an object. For example, I can just do
JavaScript:
$gamePlayer.foobar = "This is now a string";
and there won't be any problems. If you try to access a property that hasn't been assigned yet, it will just give you the value 'undefined'.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dopan So, my question is, are you trying to modify sprgStartBattle? You should just be able to call the function without changes, if you provide it the correct arrays for user and target without changes, and it would be compatible with both SRPG_core and SRPG_MapBattle, since those don't change how the startup works.

As to _srpgSkillList, javascript variables don't necessarily need to be "created" if they're part of an object. For example, I can just do
JavaScript:
$gamePlayer.foobar = "This is now a string";
and there won't be any problems. If you try to access a property that hasn't been assigned yet, it will just give you the value 'undefined'.
Not really ,I am tryin to Re-build another Version of srpgStartBattle in order to give my Plugin its own "room", and in order to seperate everything that could do any conflict.
That way i was able to avoid any conflicting data which got added when i used SV BattleAction as First Action.
-
if i use the default script "Scene_Map.prototype.srpgBattleStart(userArray, targetArray)"
.. for my Plugin, than this will conflict in 2 ways :
1.conflict with the SRPG_Core Function:
-> can add more Actions if the SV battleAction from the Core is triggered at First.
2.conflict with the SRPG_Mapbattle Function:
-> can disable most part of the Action.. it seems like.. :
Code:
// or
..wont work correctly for my Plugin,if SRPG_Mapbattle.js triggers the first Action..

The first Conflict can be avoided by building an own :
"Scene_Map.prototype.forceMapBattleStart(userArray, targetArray)"
..this way its seperated from any conflict with the SRPG_Core Function
But the second Conflict get added by using the same Code:
Code:
// or
.. like the SRPG_Mapbattle.js uses.. thats why i want to make the same thing with another name, like using "_forceSkillList" instead of "_srpgSkillList"
Code:
this._forceSkillList = this._forceSkillList || [];
_forceSkillList // everywhere "_srpgSkillList" was used
I know how to "provide the correct arrays",thats not the Problem , but as soon the _srpgSkillList is used in both Plugins.. my Plugin must make the first battleAction when a Battlemap has started the first time after opening the game.
Only this way both Plugins will work correctly..
Or else if SRPG_Mapbattle.js makes the first battleAction, only SRPG_Mapbattle.js will work correctly ,but SRPG_MapForceAction.js wont trigger the battleAction.
(there is an action but no animation or Dmg.. similar like a completly empty skill that does nothing. it just ends the Units turn and triggers pre&post-action Phases ect)

sry that i cant explain it better :(

Edit

Im tryin to rebuild the whole battle-function in 1 Scene now..,without using _srpgSkillList , and this seems to work better,but now i have to figure out how to make the animations wait for each other and how to set the right timing for the dmg trigger for example.. Im not familiar how to properly use "wait" in JS code.
Im still not sure which solution i will use finaly ,but atleast that way i learn more about how the whole SRPG_Mapbattle.js plugin works..
And im still not sure why exactly ,this Conflict happens..
-> However thx for the Informations so far ,that already helped me to understand more..

Last edited:

MetalKing11417

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dopan @Doktor_Q

Alternatively, you could use http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Map_Enemy_Levels_(YEP)

strbxl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello, i'm using the demo and i have a problem. When an enemy attacks me with a bow, it displays the same animation as if he was using a melee attack, he justs jumps to the actor he's targetting and i think it doesn't look really good.

I tried replacing the attack skill with another one and it works like this,however the problem remains when the enemy is counter-attacking from a ranged attack.

Is there any fix for this problem ?

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, i'm using the demo and i have a problem. When an enemy attacks me with a bow, it displays the same animation as if he was using a melee attack, he justs jumps to the actor he's targetting and i think it doesn't look really good.

I tried replacing the attack skill with another one and it works like this,however the problem remains when the enemy is counter-attacking from a ranged attack.

Which demo did u use?
..is it the default-demo from the first post of this thread ?

If you are Using the Updated-SRPG_Demo (from my signature spoiler) ,and still got this Issue pls let us know.
(just incase that i understood anything wrong here)

edit
i searched for the info where a similar Issue was fixed. here -> #403 and here -> #406..
If thats not the issue ,which you are talking about,than pls give us more information.
(what demo version you used ,what plugins are in the Plugin Manager, Screenshots ect.)

Last edited:

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Is there a way to improve pathfinding? This script looks like its using the MV standard pathfinding algorithm; which is fine for regular games where movement is not restricted but not so fine for an engine like this way units take turns making limited movements. For example, enemies will only "go out of their way to reach the player" if it is the shortest route; otherwise they will move to the closest point to the enemy and stay there (and never reach the player)

As shown in Dopan's excellent demo, the enemy orc never moves unless I set its movement range to 16 (which brings it to 3 spaces from the player character); otherwise the orc will stay in place (as it is 4 spaces from the player character and any movement will result in the orc being more than 4 spaces from the player)

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to improve pathfinding? This script looks like its using the MV standard pathfinding algorithm; which is fine for regular games where movement is not restricted but not so fine for an engine like this way units take turns making limited movements. For example, enemies will only "go out of their way to reach the player" if it is the shortest route; otherwise they will move to the closest point to the enemy and stay there (and never reach the player)

As shown in Dopan's excellent demo, the enemy orc never moves unless I set its movement range to 16 (which brings it to 3 spaces from the player character); otherwise the orc will stay in place (as it is 4 spaces from the player character and any movement will result in the orc being more than 4 spaces from the player)
i made 2 Maps to show how to use Regions for more Complex AI Movement.
The Maps are : "Chucks Place Nr2 a (BetterMovement)" & "Chucks Place Nr2 b (BetterMovement)" ..
The Enemy Units in these Maps are Using Event-Notetags
Script Info from SRPG_Core help info:
event note:
Code:
  <mode:regionUp>    # set this unit's acting pattern 'go to bigger region ID if enemy don't near by'.
  <mode:regionDown>  # set this unit's acting pattern 'go to smaller region ID if enemy don't near by'.
  <mode:absRegionUp> # set this unit's acting pattern 'always go to bigger region ID'.
  <mode:absRegionDown># set this unit's acting pattern 'always go to smaller region ID'.
-> You can also change the "searchRouteSize" in the SRPG_Core Parameters: (Img in Spoiler)
Screenshot_1.png
.. I think you could also use the Plugin SRPG_AIControl.js from Doktor_Q in order to affect the AI movement.
But DrQ can explain this plugin better than me.

In the Case of your Example i would use Regions to make the Enemys Move in a certain direction in order to avoid the "stand and waiting Issue"..
They might be more ways to affect Movement ,but those are the best ideas i got on this^^

Edit
@ boomy btw i just saw the "Basic Battle Animations" from your Signature,and i think they are well done!
i will add them to my Collection and even might use them in future SRPG-demo updates, when i need new Animations inthere.
Good Job!
And THX for using "FreetoUseTerms" !
(credits required of course^^)

Last edited:

MetalKing11417

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This comes from the fundamental fact that Enemies don't have attack animations, at least without specific plugins. As such, it reverts to the default attack style (ie move in for melee). You need to create a specific skill just for a bow if you want to make enemies shoot arrows.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This comes from the fundamental fact that Enemies don't have attack animations, at least without specific plugins. As such, it reverts to the default attack style (ie move in for melee). You need to create a specific skill just for a bow if you want to make enemies shoot arrows.
thx for this Clarifacation, i have to admit that i didnt recognized this Issue in the Updated-SRPG_Demo.
I just tested this with using the Default Enemy "Naughty Fairy" (enemyID_4),which uses a "Fairy Bow".

@ MetalKing11417
Could you create such a Skill, to show how this can be handled?
-i would like to implement this in the next demo update ,with giving the "Fairy Bow" the Weapon-note:
Code:
 <srpgWeaponSkill:X># set attack skill ID X. normal attack is skill ID 1.
And using the Skill which you mentioned.

Edit
Would this Skill work for *SVbattle*(Mapbattle"false") ?
(i assume that for Mapbattle"true" this can be handled with Moving Animations ,which are created in a Common Event)

Last edited:

MetalKing11417

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Code:
<srpgRange: -1>
<srpgVariableRange> 

--YEP Action Sequence----------------------
<setup action>
IMMORTAL: targets, true
WAIT: 15
DISPLAY ACTION
  WAIT: 40
</setup action>

<whole action>
</whole action>

<target action>
MOTION ATTACK: user

WAIT: 25
  create object: 1, sv_arrow, user, 0, -15
  SE: Wind7
  MOVE object 1: target, CENTER, 30
  WAIT: 30
  DELETE object: 1

ACTION EFFECT: target
if !target.result().missed && !target.result().evaded
  ATTACK ANIMATION: target
  WAIT FOR ANIMATION
else
  WAIT: 24
end
</target action>

<follow action>
IMMORTAL: targets, false
MOTION WALK: user
</follow action>

<finish action>
CLEAR BATTLE LOG

WAIT FOR EFFECT
end
</finish action>

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Code:
<srpgRange: -1>
<srpgVariableRange>

--YEP Action Sequence----------------------
<setup action>
IMMORTAL: targets, true
WAIT: 15
DISPLAY ACTION
  WAIT: 40
</setup action>

<whole action>
</whole action>

<target action>
MOTION ATTACK: user

WAIT: 25

WAIT FOR ANIMATION
else
end
</target action>

<follow action>
IMMORTAL: targets, false
</follow action>

<finish action>
CLEAR BATTLE LOG

WAIT FOR EFFECT
end
</finish action>
Wow thats a lot better than what i could do ,when i tried it with YEP Action Sequence! I didnt know how to create the arrow object.Thanks!
Sry i got 2 Questions again :
1. What is <srpgVariableRange> ? and where does it belong to? I couldnt find this in the SRPG-Core.js..
2. Does anybody know a way to add the motion where the Unit shows the Bow with Arrow, right before the Arrow flys to the Target ?
(because that part is missing in that solution,but its already way better than the default or what i tried to do earlier^^ ,- when i was googling for Action Sequenses..)

Last edited:

MetalKing11417

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow thats a lot better than what i could do ,when i tried it with YEP Action Sequence! I didnt know how to create the arrow object.Thanks!
Sry i got 2 Questions again :
1. What is <srpgVariableRange> ? and where does it belong to? I couldnt find this in the SRPG-Core.js..
2. Does anybody know a way to add the motion where the Unit shows the Bow with Arrow, right before the arrow flys to the target ?
(because that part is missing in that solution,but its allready way better than the default or what i tried to do earlier^^ ,- when i was googling for Action Sequenses..)
1.Ooops... it's part of the SRPG_RangeControl Plugin, which allows you to change the range of your skills with <srpgRangePlus:X>
2. no idea. I simply took the motion in the original and then took out the if/then/else statement and anything related to not using missile attack.

Fun little ideas: 1. You can make spells using projectiles with this code.
2. by replacing "sv_arrow" with another image of your choosing in the "img/pictures" folder, you can make your attack/spell have a different projectile (though you will need an additional skill to do so)

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
2. Does anybody know a way to add the motion where the Unit shows the Bow with Arrow, right before the Arrow flys to the Target ?
Do you mean like this:

Code:
<target action>
MOTION MISSILE: user

WAIT: 4

WAIT FOR ANIMATION
else
end
</target action>
I adjusted the WAIT from 25 to 4 (so the arrow appears during the missile action). I forced the unit to use the missile action; by default the bow weapon has an arrow appear on the last frame.

===================

I also achieved pathfinding in the game. It has some bugs which I have pasted below but works alright. I will release the script once I fix the bugs up (or give up on fixing bugs):

The nymph hero is under attraction (confusion with self-target friendlies) and the enemy has a short ranged attack. Harold is on the same team as the nymph but is paralyzed.

Errors:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We are truly intellectuals.
Without using violence without weapons
Our group has as many as 1.3 million people and more than 1 hundred thousand talks.
We gathered in an hour, more than 4.5 Half a hundred thousand

I got a Sword.
I got an Axe.
I got two Swords.
Nothing to see here, just walking with my dog.
I haven’t worked on my game in a while. Tomorrow might be the day.
*squeals* :kaoblush:

I've been experimenting with improved memory management again, which allowed me to include items to increase player path length. These are both 44 grid spaces long, and stable. :LZSexcite:
I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akasheee