Staircases & Directions

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by SwarleyPilgrim, Nov 14, 2016.

1. SwarleyPilgrim

SwarleyPilgrim Internet Billionaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Heyo! I thought I'd be able to easily figure this out on my own, but I can't seem to do it. I've just begun Parallax mapping for the first time, and I'm having a ball! My only issue, is with sideways staircases, and the approach the character takes to getting up/down them. I'd like the character to only be able to step over the transfer event from the left and right, and not be able to from the top or bottom. I thought changing something in the tile set would solve this (Changing the stairs to act like a ladder, and such) but that just does the opposite! Am I missing something? :o  

2. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm a little confused by your phrasing - maybe a screenshot would help? - but it sounds like you might need to make a dummy tileset so that you can add passability to your parallaxes. Choose an empty tile and adjust its directional passability so the player can only step on it from the sides (north and south arrows turned to dots) then place that tile where your staircase event is.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
  3. Ashouse

Ashouse Resident Zombie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have a solution to this, but it's sort of hard to explain. Here goes an attempt. Make one tile "into" the stair case passable, and put impassable tiles on each side of it. So basically your transfer tile is surrounded on 3 sides by impassable tiles. Hope that helps. Let me see if I can drum up a quick example.

demo.PNG

And this is how you might have the image adjusted to the grid.

Grid adjust.PNG

Just make the green square your transfer event, and make it a passable tile.

Hope this helps/is what you were looking for.

(Images for demonstration purposes only from The Ancient Dungeons tilesets available in the rpg maker store.)

rifter likes this.
  4. SwarleyPilgrim

SwarleyPilgrim Internet Billionaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This was what I was trying to do, but couldn't figure it out. Poked around a bit more, and finally got it to work. Thank you! I knew it was a simple fix, but just couldn't seem to get it.

Euphony likes this.
  5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You could also put a conditional branch into your event - instead of just having the transfer command, put it inside a conditional branch - if the player is facing left, transfer.

If they walk onto the event from a different direction, the transfer won't happen.

Ashouse likes this.