thecretanhound

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey cats, 

I have my UI art assets, All I want to do is swap one for one with the Menu items currently in the game engine, will I need something like YANFLY's menu system to do this or would I just put my Png files in the systems folder and name them accordingly.

If its door number two what do i name them? Here is an example image of my assets. 

going for a steam punk/fantasy feel,  but it just replaces the standard layout. 

Thanks in advance!

Steel & Steam 04.jpg

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know what you mean by "door number two", but if you simply want to replace the default windowskin with a new one of your own, in a similar format, you just need to save your file in the Graphics/System folder with the same name as the default windowskin - it will use yours in preference to the new one.

If you want to do more than a simple replacement, then yes, you'll need to use scripts.

izanamikun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Before this topic is closed, could someone please point out if that is the same process for changing the HP/MP bars and such? Her thumbnails show different HP/MP bars in the battle menu and in the regular menu. Where are the defaults for those images located, and how does one replace those individually?

Just curious, since it seemed relevant to the original post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You would have to look at the script to see what it requires.

izanamikun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I meant without the script, just replacing the graphic in the System folder. Since there's only the application file, it's difficult to know what the default graphic names are to replace them with a new one. I assume all the graphics can be replaced by custom ones, and I'm also certain there's a list of those default graphics somewhere. So how might we find this default graphics list to know what to name our custom graphics for the system folder?

~Assuming of course that the HP/MP bars have a replaceable default graphic...

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's easy to see what default graphic names are. Go to the Resource Manager and look at anything with a blue dot beside it - those are RTP graphics. Things with red dots are graphics you've imported or placed manually into the folders (including replacements for RTP).

The default windowskin is called Window. You can only have one, and there is no way, without scripting, to say to use a different one. So if you want one windowskin in the regular menu, and a different one in the battle menu, you're looking at script mods.

The HP/MP bars don't actually use graphics (in the RTP script). There's a Window_Base method to draw the gradient bars, and the colours are set to two colours (for each bar) from the selection in the lower right corner of the Window windowskin graphic.

The screenshots in the OP look (to me) as if they ARE using graphics. Therefore there is no way to change them without actually using this script - even if it's as simple as looking up the comments in the script to see how the files need to be named.

Last edited by a moderator:

izanamikun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So saving the file in the system folder is pretty much the same as uploading through the resource manager. That's good to know, thanks!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, and easier, as you don't have to go through the selection of transparent colour, so can just make your png transparent where it needs to be.

thecretanhound

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Shaz I said it before in other posts, but thanks again.  You kick ass!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Updated my state Stacker Script on itch.io, github is down for some reason (probs just me).
Wife watching Locke and Key. This show is so bad!! You can't just acclimate to discovering magic or magical worlds in less than 60 seconds.
I think I still prefer RPG Maker over Dreams. Been playing around with it, and the controls are really the biggest flaw for me.
Watching Dragon Quest: Your Story on Netflix and already like 5 mins in we've passed over like 3 hours of gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enkidu