Standing below overlay with a tall sprite

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by tom88norman, Apr 27, 2014.

1. tom88norman

tom88norman Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi,

I'm using a tall sprite from one of the High Fantasy resource packs and I've created a parallax map with an overlay using Yami's overlay mapping script. My character appears behind the overlay as he should when standing behind it, but when he moves in front of / below the overlayed section, his torso & head still appear behind it (because he's taller then 32 pixels.)

Is there a fix for this? I've combed through the instructions on the script and googled several combinations of the relevant keywords and I can't find anything...

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is a large sprite fix, but it works with the regular passage settings, not with overlay scripts.

3. tom88norman

tom88norman Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the reply.

So just to clarify, you can't use overlay mapping with a tall sprite?

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not exactly - the overlay script needs to be written in a way that allows the use of tall sprites, then that would work.
    However, I don't know if such a variant of an overlay script even exists.

I suggest testing - there are three or four different overlay scripts, just test everyone to see if one of them supports tall sprites.

If not, then you'll either have to look for another solution or commission an overlay script with options for tall sprites.

5. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Before parallax mapping became popular, the way to use the overlay image, was to use it as an event graphic.

You can simply set the parts that the large sprite accidentally gets cut off by, as an event graphic instead.