Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Decided to play this game, though couldn't really get into the story or the characters. I hope I don't come off as too negative, but it's a bit of a slow start and some of the dialogue just doesn't sound realistic. Like in the dream. The prince is talking to that shadow demon thingy that tells him he is in a dream and prince just responds happily that he knows that. This just doesn't happen when people have dreams. Most of the time we are not aware we are dreaming, and when we do, our perceptions and awareness within a dream are still very limited.

Also, the prince decides to go and rescue this girl he doesn't know at all all by himself? If I was a prince who was about to set off on a dangerous errand, I'd make sure to equip myself with all the best weapons and armour in town, grab plenty of gold and best healing potions, and take at least a dozen of bodyguards. There is no way I'd ever go alone with standard equipment and only 100 gold.

Also a few minor issues I came across, some of which were a bit of a pain:

- The text font is way too small. Even at full screen it's still painful on the eyes.

- The circular menu spins the opposite way to the button I press, which is confusing. When I press left, it scrolls right, and vice versa.

- In fact the circular menu is just more of a hindrance than anything, especially in battle. What made default Ace menu better is that you can see names of all commands at once. With this circular menu you can only see the name of what is selected.

- I do like the visual style and mapping (I think everyone can agree on that), but that yellow torch-like effect is kind of unnecessary in my opinion, especially in outside areas.

- No 'Quit game' option in the title menu or in-game main menu?

Once again, I hope I don't sound mean with this feedback. I just expected something more from an RM game that is deemed a classic by the community.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I agree with Matseb. I've already written what I thought about this game in another topic and I don't understand why it's so praised while having all these flaws.

The story and dialogues just don't work, as they are unrealistic and they even contradict themselves.

Like the part where the prince's advisor is worried that Snowe went alone outside when you first meet him, but doesn't protest having the same Snowe go rescue some girl alone without equipement. Hey man, you just said he musn't do that!

Unless he secretly wants to see Snowe die, that's totally not believable.

Not to mention that never would a prince do the kind of things he does in this game...

And I'm not talking about the completely broken boss fights, I've already done that.

It's not a *bad* game, but it's certainly not the masterpiece some people say it is.

At least, it gave me one pleasure: the game over screen to get rid of that brat of Snowe.

Mihel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I don't think the story nor the dialogue were aiming at being realistic.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
^Then what was it aiming at? "Realistic" does not have to be the same as in real life. One of the most important things in fantasy and sci-fi genres is suspension of disbelief, and I personally just couldn't get that with this game. None of it felt believable enough for the setting presented.

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
lol you guys are funny

i dunno who's calling it a masterpiece but that's actually kinda funny. but you know, people say FF7 is a masterpiece or <insert game here>. It's in the eye of the beholder and you're entirely correct if you don't think it is. But if other people think so, why do you care? Go find the game you call a masterpiece and advertise the sheep out of it. Bam! masterpiece made.

but really lol you guys are funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
^Very true. I guess this what happens when people overhype something. You end up having high expectations. I'll be very honest. Of all RM titles I've played, I've touched upon a few others that are deemed by the community as classics and masterpieces, and I was disappointed with each one of them.

But anyways, hopefully the critique we've raised is at least helpful. That's what it's there for after all, to help the devs. :)

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't even make RPGs anymore so honestly, I could care less. Frankly I don't give a dayum who likes this game or not at this point. It's old and I've been done with it for a while. I did what I wanted to do with the story and if people deem it unrealistic and what have you, I don't care. It's over with, it's done with. It has made some people happy to play it and that's all that matters.

♥SOURCE♥

Too sexy for your party.
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Aside from the fact that this game is almost 3 years old, I would like to point out that it is one of the most (if not the most) rated game in this section, with (at the moment of this post) 45 votes and a total score of 4 stars. It doesn't have to please everybody, but I remember playing it when it came out and it was a nice experience, I enjoyed it.

For me, the things that I thought didn't make sense in the story acted as fuel for me to try to unravel the mystery (if you finished the game you know what I am talking about.)

Not saying it is free of flaws, but same as with pretty much everything, you either like it or not, despite of its flaws.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure why everyone's getting defensive. You don't need to justify the game's merits. Cabfe and I were simply pointing out the flaws and our experience of the game. The dev can take them or leave them. ;)

♥SOURCE♥

Too sexy for your party.
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm also just pointing out my experience with the game. :)

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
^Very true. I guess this what happens when people overhype something. You end up having high expectations.(...)
That's exactly it.

I started playing this game and expected something it wasn't nor claimed to be.

As I said, it's not a bad game and I actually enjoyed some parts that were done well.

It's just that some other parts weren't to my liking, just as it happens with any other game.

If someone manages to make a game where 100% of the players are happy with it, you've found the grail B)

So, Ronove, you're done making games? That's sad, because you had a good experience that could have gotten us little jems like we all crave for.

Homework Salesman had some nice ideas.

Mihel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Not sure why everyone's getting defensive. You don't need to justify the game's merits. Cabfe and I were simply pointing out the flaws and our experience of the game. The dev can take them or leave them. ;)
Who's getting defensive?

I don't even make RPGs anymore
Weren't Maladaptive Daydream and Yellow Line Haven meant to be rpgs? I remember I sort of follewed your blog years ago and it seemed like you were working on so many games at the time.

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not sitting in some static bubble. What I said years ago doesn't even matter anymore. The one thing I'm working on now is a visual novel. I don't currently have any interest in working on RPGs atm. Maybe that will change but I'm really not in the mood to work on any RPG atm. Edit: welp. shhh I might be working on something people will cute about eventually.

amerk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ronove, I feel you. I've only made one game thus far, certainly no masterpiece and probably a shitfest compared to so many other games, but it was still a lot of headache and work. I've been toying with a couple more ideas, but haven't had motivation to do more than begin them.

Making an rpg is hard by itself. I can't imagine the work that went into planning your game's story, battles, and mechanics, let alone that amount of work that probably went into the mapping. If I ever managed to achieve even a fraction of what your game had, I'd probably feel compelled to run from making another rpg for quite some time.

Usureki

Victor
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Greetings to all of you!

Now... I am not even sure, where to start. My gameplay time was 13 hours, and I had enjoyed most of the time spent playing with this game. The Star Stealing Prince is a complete game, and even could have been a commercial game, considering the quality of the storyline, the graphics and the gameplay. As a great game as it is, it is easy to find things those against one's taste. That is why I start with the things I did not like in the game.

The first thing I have noticed in the game is the high-quality graphics. It is more than well made, but among such beautiful visuals, I do not understand why the creator of the game made no efforts in improving the appearance of the dialogue boxes. They are dull, making it harder to read the discussions. Oh, and there are many discussions in this game, sometimes I even felt like I am playing some kind of visual novel. I liked how the characters are made - everyone has his or her personality and background which is revealed slowly during gameplay. The interesting storyline makes the player want to find out what is going to happen with Snowe, the main character. Battling against encounters are fast paced and fun, exploring for hidden stuffs in the well made maps is fun. The game is fun. For the first time. To tell you the truth, despite I loved playing the game, I would not play with it again. The complete lack of choices and character customization made the game absolutely linear - again, just like a visual novel. For my in-game experiences, read the spoiler below (and the spoiler section contains spoilers! :o )

The starting city is very detailed, exploring the hidden goodies is rewarding, talking to the citizens made me feel that the city is alive. And... Snowmen. Snowmen are awesome. I loved them. Really. So after the interesting intro chapter, I was set on an adventure, and I was pleased to see that there was little need of grinding to develop my character. After I wanted to take a break though, I have realized that there is no exit button in the game. Seriously? I have also noticed, that the game is pretty laggy in fullscreen mode, but maybe the problem is with my computer, not the game. Anyway, I have enjoyed everything during my first 4 hours, only the Lady puzzle made me mad. That was simply boring.

About the second 4 hours... The concept of the floating island made the story deep. It made me think 'man, the people I am gonna fight against maybe were not even that bad'. I still miss the chance to make friendship with King Edgar or the Original King. There could have been more philosophical side to the story than 'omg I'm gonna kill you for da lulz' So again, I do miss the chance to make choices in the game. It would have made the gameplay replayable. The only choice I have is about what skill and item I use against encounters - and to tell you the truth, these choices are pretty clear. There item and skill system is pretty primitive, for the best combinations are too trivial. I also wanted to make Snowe much a different character than the game forced me to make. Again, the feeling is the same at a visual novel, where the characters are already made.

Some other flaws : After I had had enough of grinding on the Capricorns, I have realized that I can escape with no penalty. Why? What is the point? The white flashing effect on leaving an area made my eyes struggling with pain. The music also mutes sometimes, without reason, and I had to restart every time this problem occured (with alt+F4, for there is no exit button in the game - again). And why does Relenia teleports back to Sabine, while she should have been left in a cave (when Snowe 'forgets' to bring ropes)?

I do belive that there should have been a much more plain choice between the Good and the Bad ending. The player cannot really tell the consequences from the choices, so the choice he or she makes is a blind one - like in a common visual novel. Anyway, I liked that at the would-be-end of the story, there was twists and turns, with Snowe's dreams in the Good ending. The hand-drawed scenes and animations are awesome, I love every single one of them.

But please, do not think, that I did not like the game because its flaws. As I mentioned above, I have not seen any RPGM game with this level of graphics and deep lore (though there are many RGPM games I still need to explore of course). The audio is well made, even if the musics are MIDI sounds. The combat is swift, but many times challenging. Exploration is rewarding which makes it more interesting. Almos every object is interactable almost every character reacts differently to the main character during different scenes of the storyline. If I had to recommend a game that represents the possibilities of RPGM, this game might be my choice. 

If you are planning to develop the game further, I hope that this review helps a bit. Thank you for the hours of excitement!

Yours,

Victor

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unfortunately that's what happens when you play the game expecting something else than what is actually there. Had I held this game up on the promise of choices affecting the game's outcome aside from the bad ending which came from not digging deep enough, then yeah, your complaints about it would be more warranted. However all this game is is a try at a traditional eastern RPG like one I played when I was a kid. i.e. no choices that have any ramification on the story at all. It's a story I wanted to tell and that's what you got. Besides, I don't really like those games so I wouldn't make one of those games. So yeah your comparison to a visual novel is pretty apt and that was largely the intention. Which yeah is fully within your right to dislike but it's also something I never promised giving in this game so coming into the game expecting that might have been your own fault. Regardless, I'm glad you found some excitement in it despite not being wholly what you wanted. And it's also fine you'll never play it again. I honestly don't play RPGs again after one run unless the story was truly captivating and I wanted to relive that. Does that make the game any less for me? No. I played the game to see the story and that's what I got in the end. Though I do have people who have replayed the story again and again because they really enjoyed it. Just different strokes for different folks in that regard.

Also the game not having an exit button was a mistake that I will never make again. I never played in fullscreen and nor did any of my testers so I didn't really realize the issue because I always just exited by closing out of the window. I thought there was an exit button in the main menu but it's been so long I don't even know. Clearly won't be doing that again. With the music muting it might just be some tracks for whatever reason have a lull where the sound does stop. I got fed up trying to fix it. As for that teleporting Relenia that's probably a bug I never fixed/never caught for some reason. Whoops. I guess I'll look at that whenever I have time. I also liked the dialogue boxes, lol, which is why they looked the way they do. So to say that I made no effort to improve them is false and kinda rude.

Thank you for your thoughts. The game is finished, however, and I am going to let sleeping dogs lie. I won't be going back to it. Despite all that, I'm glad you had fun despite coming into it with misconceptions on what kind of game it was going to be.

Vincent Chu

Writer and translator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the late post but I only stumbled upon this game recently.
Awesome game.
Where can I get the tome for Frozen Strike II after missing it in the previous chapter (and not being able to return to that place)?

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not 100% sure since I don't have VX anymore so I can't check but on the website it says: "| Guardian’s Shrine (Maiden’s floor) if forgotten" so I assume it's on the room with the statue puzzle.
Thanks for playing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I bought a 2 week emergency food supply. And people are already making fun of me :( I'll be fed for a bit while they go hungry when food supplies get cut(for whatever reason).
Start of semester today. This is going to be a long one.
Can't wait for the next Sonichu
Birdhouses are usually made of wood. Birds typically live in trees. Trees are wood. Birdhouses are made of birdhouses.
He just discovered cellphones...

(I don't know why am I drawing so much these days...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDiet