BongmasterJ

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Greetings!
I am a long time gamer and western RPG fan, and I have been getting into RPGmaker to try and test the waters in regards to making a western style rpg. On that note I have noticed that the rpgmaker community at large seems to be mostly interested in eastern style Jrpg's. I realize that rpgmaker itself is catered toward Jrpg's and have found very few projects posted on here doing the kind of game I'm interested in.

For the past few months I've devoted some of my free time into seeing if my vision for a game can even be done in rpgmaker, and after some testing I'm fairly certain that it can, but there are just so few examples of what I'm trying to do on these forums that I want to post here to see if anybody has any comments or feedback on my game idea. I also am trying to gauge interest as well.

The main elements for me that I needed to test were: Using parallax mapping and larger sprite sizes would I be able to create the look and feel of a realistic looking western RPG. It seems every game on here uses the standard 48 pixels size for character sprites and maps. So I started trying to figure out how I could achieve the scale that I wanted to see.

At this point I have decided that I want to try and make a game set in the star wars universe,( Mostly because I'm a big star wars fan and the writing will come easily for me) I've done a fair bit of writing and have a general draft of the story.

The basic Synopsis is: Taking place after The Empire Strikes Back, the player character is a hired gun working for a crew of mercenaries that are hired to take on a job with a big payout. But things don't go as planned and the Player and his companions end up getting involved in something much bigger than they bargained for. Being forced to crash land on a remote planet, and with the empire hot on their tail, the player must figure out a way to get off planet while also trying to clear his name and get a hefty imperial bounty off his head.

Basically my vision is to create a game very similar to Knights of the Old republic, but in an isometric view, with more simplified systems and a focus on Dialogue and story rather than combat. All enemies persistent on the map ( No random encounter's) and when you kill people or creatures they are removed from the map. Also the ability to kill people are aren't necessarily enemies.

Current Goal: My goal with this right now if I decide to put the time in and go forward with it, is to create a 1-2 hour long demo, with most of the features I would want to see in a finished game, and use that as a starting point.

Here's a video of showing some of the concept work I have done:
Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Dutchmountain

Engineering the impossible
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the concept is pretty neat and so is the idea to make the game set in the star wars universe.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It looks fantastic! The walking animation is way too janky for the sort of art you're using, though. In my opinion, it'd look much better if you had additional movment frams and used a plug-in\script to utilise them.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a word of caution - you'll be fine making this for your own enjoyment, or a few friends, but if you actually complete this and try to make it available online for other people, you'll get cease and desists from LucasArts. There have been a number of well-publicized fan game projects that got shut down.

(and that's generally true for using anyone else's IP, but Star Wars is one of the stricter ones)

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Isn't the whole point of a Star Wars RPG to play as an OP force user? Otherwise what's of point of being some dude w/ a blaster? Anyway, I hope Lightsabers are involved. :kaothx:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Isn't the whole point of a Star Wars RPG to play as an OP force user? Otherwise what's of point of being some dude w/ a blaster?
I'm not sure if you're joking, but...no? There are many (in fact, most) characters in Star Wars who don't use the Force. Many people enjoy the setting regardless of whether the Force is involved in a specific story (the majority of novels focus on people who aren't Jedi).

And there have been many successful video games where the Force wasn't involved (see Dark Forces, X-Wing, Rogue Squadron, Republic Commandos, etc.).

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Isn't the whole point of a Star Wars RPG to play as an OP force user? Otherwise what's of point of being some dude w/ a blaster? Anyway, I hope Lightsabers are involved. :kaothx:
As @ATT_Turan has said, there's quite a lot of people who enjoy playing as non-Force users. I enjoy playing as a Sith Sorceror (murder and mayhem await!) in The Old Republic, but also as an Imperial Agent who has zero Force powers.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, I just noticed the game takes place post-Empire Strikes Back. I guess it makes sense that there's hardly any force users during that era. Oooh, but u could perhaps have a Sith as a boss fight somewhere? Lol, but idk how a blaster-wielding smuggler would be able to defeat any decently trained force user though. :kaojoy:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think it's ready - Chapter Selection:
unknown.png
On another more gaming topic, I paid 20 bucks for a visual novel to emotionally destroy me. I may write an entry about that.
1638611395177.png
Reading about metaverses recently. I can totally imagine myself in the future, logging in with VR glasses to a virtual beach villa sitting in a virtual chair, with a virtual laptop facing the sea...coding 16-bit RM.
Mod name: "[Game name] Gameplay Overhaul"
What they actually mean: "Here is a mod that makes the game harder."
I decided to reinstall one of my most favourite game of all times, Gothic 2. Time to get back to Khorinis!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kekel