RMMZ Starlight, Starbright (2021 Touch the Stars Gamejam Entry)

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Starlightbanner.png

Hello, everyone! What a fun and interesting concept for a gamejam! This entry was brought to you by Team Voyager, and a few first time participants who had a great time with the content! @Lerbert, @hiddenone, @scv, and myself would like to thank Komodo for hosting and giving everyone an opportunity to showcase their amazing creativity within an awesome game engine. We had fun, and we're looking forward to seeing all the other entries!

synopsis.png
When a lonely young boy sees a shooting star outside his window, he makes a wish...but, what do you do when the star crashes in the woods behind your house? Well, you chase it of course!

Join this short puzzle adventure as a curious child sets out to find the star, and perhaps make a new friend along the way.
screenshots.png

opening4.pnggame3.PNGopening6.pnggame1.PNG
team.png
gxro3z.png

Artwork: Walwal

Original Sound Track: Ellery Smith. You can get the OST here!

Eventing, Mapping, and Story: Hiddenone

Support, Mapping, and Story: Gabrelik
credit.png
Made with RPG Maker MZ ©Gotcha Gotcha Games Inc./YOJI OJIMA 2020

Plugins:

Neon Black & Shaz

Visustella

Moghunter

Galv

치즈/Cheese
download.png
Check out the game submission here!

Last edited:

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Gabrelik Wow this one was great. Let me say why below:

+ Pretty title screen and music!
+ First off, all of these cutscene graphics are very nice. I like the artstyle.
+ Second, I love how there is no dialogue whatsoever. You can get the story just from watching how the guy and his new animal friend react to the world around them - like Guy's world is gray and depressing at first. You see two cycles of the exact same thing happen to imply that this is what life is like for him. But once the falling star comes into play you finally get some color. I love these kinda cues.
+ Simple-but-effective puzzles. I like the ones where you get to throw stuff.
+ The music is a permanent vibefest and it's gorgeous.
+ Awwwww, they didn't want to go back with him... Not having any direct answers makes this more sad, cause you can tell purple fox was here because of the falling star thing but grew to like Guy.
+ I do like how Guy's world turns more gray when he goes back without Fox Friend. Nice touch.
+ YESSS HE GETS TO BE FRIENDS WITH THE PURPLE FOX IN THE END!!
+ I liked how the "touch the stars" part of this entry was quite literally the driving emotions for the story.

- Uh. I got some intense slowdown? Might not even be the game's fault, my computer is very notorious for not even being able to run my own games optimally.

I genuinely could not think of things to fill this section out other than maybe a distaste for collapsing floor puzzles, but that's so minor it might not even be added.

This is literally one of those vibe games that I always want to make but always lack a good idea of how to do it. Like it made me feel... emotions. :kaocry:

It's very plain and simple - guy goes to see a falling star and meets a cute little purple fox friend who brings color to his life. There's no extraneous details or mechanics - just you, your new friend and some puzzles. It helps that it's very pretty looking to boot.

You get a tight, concise story between a boy and his intergalactic fox, all told without any dialogue whatsoever... and honestly it's pretty refreshing. Almost broke my heart at the end, but I dunno - this feels like one of RPG Maker story games I would randomly stumble across and be mesmerized at its existence.

Fantastic job all around. :kaojoy:

Gabrelik

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RCXDan, thanks so much for that detailed breakdown! We're glad you enjoyed it so much. There are some great entries this year, and we were super happy to be a part of it all. :)

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@RCXDan I'm happy to hear that you liked the no dialogue storytelling. It was an idea we came up with but I wasn't sure that we'd be able to pull it off, so I'm glad that it worked. :)

As for the lag, yeah it's a problem that we ran into here and there, but unfortunately it didn't happen consistently enough on our computers for us to pinpoint what was causing it before the deadline. Hopefully we'll be able to figure it out and post a less laggy version once the game jam is done.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Left my feedback on itch but ill post the conclusion here aswell :

Great little game that tells a basic story in a very good way with great art and music and intuïtive puzzles :)

Gabrelik

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! We appreciate the playthrough and the comments you left! :)

Gabrelik

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Big thanks to @Dutch Power Creations for a great Let's Play of our entry. We really appreciated the feedback and will definitely take everything into consideration!:

teleshock_p

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The introduction and ending illustrations are great and combined with the lovely music they established the tone and mood of the game right from the start.

The puzzles are clear and pretty straight forward, which I appreciate. But what really stood out for me was the overall atmosphere of the game. It has sort of a sad and dreamlike quality to it which I enjoyed a lot. I'm also glad that the game has a heartwarming ending.

Just a neat and enjoyable experience overall.

Gabrelik

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The introduction and ending illustrations are great and combined with the lovely music they established the tone and mood of the game right from the start.

The puzzles are clear and pretty straight forward, which I appreciate. But what really stood out for me was the overall atmosphere of the game. It has sort of a sad and dreamlike quality to it which I enjoyed a lot. I'm also glad that the game has a heartwarming ending.

Just a neat and enjoyable experience overall.
Thanks so much for playing! So happy you enjoyed it!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Steam page is now live!
1632768058957.png
just discovered thig game called Willowbrooke Post... beautiful artstyle if I do say so myself... does anyone know what this kind of style is called??
In one of my game projects, I am working on an arena where you can fight combatants or bet on monsters, and, man, it is taking so long, lmao. I do not think that it helps that I am using an evented combat system with a lot of things that I have to edit.
Time to take a little break from the project to work on another for Skyrim. Shouldn't take too long, as it's just fulfilling an easy to do request(more than likely I'll get beaten to the punch but...) this also gives me an excuse to play Skyrim again LOL.
Dawg.gifKhat.gif
I made two new friends today. I'm not sure which style I like the best..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
riesco