Starmage's Game-dev Counseling <3

Discussion in 'Maker Casual' started by Starmage, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Kokoro Hane

Kokoro Hane Overly Ambitious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Starmage You're welcome, expect lots of long winded feedback from me! Haha. Yes, revisiting my old projects have been a blessing, and more will come along with the new. I took your finish and move on advice to heart, and I've never been happier. It makes my roster look more complete, and makes me realize "well darn it, 7 years yielded A LOT!".
    Yes, I am sure my friend is. I remember his nurse e-mailed me his final goodbye letter to me and at the end of it, he told me "if there are computers in the afterlife, I'll play all your visual novels" that little message keeps me going, as it's a good imagery for me to think of. So when I am making a game or have finished, I like to imagine his reaction to playing them (I am sure he'd play my RPGs too hehe). I have some ideas how'd he react and it just encourages me and makes me laugh, etc. I will not fail him!
    All the free assets are wonderful. And using stock images doesn't mean you can't take a step forward into original territory, such as mixing assets with original. Like often times I team up with other artists for unique art to be drawn for the game, based off the stock images, like game covers, event CGs, etc. Recently I even had a VN (you know the one) with 100% original character sprites and CGs, but of course BGs, music, sound affects were all creative commons. So you can also slowly climb up when you meet people and collab with people, it's a good experience ^^

lianderson, Finnuval and Starmage like this.
  2. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's truly amazing that you took that advice to heart, Kokoro! And I'm very happy! ^_^ Cause yeah, you'll really feel more at ease that your roster feels more complete! ;) ^_^ So finishing them regardless of anything then move on from them is truly a wonderful experience! ;) ^_^ I mean, can't you believe it? After all those years, you're now finishing lots of great projects with a little change of mindset! ^__^ :D :)

Btw, yes, Kokoro! :) Your friend will truly be enjoying your games if he is playing your VNs and RPGs right now! ^__^ And because you're doing game deving out of pure love and passion for it, he will really feel the wondrous things that your games have to offer! ;) ^_^

And oh my!! That is so true xD :D Collabing with wonderful people is a very beautiful thing indeed! ^_^ :D As you can learn a lot from them and they too can share their wonderful talents with you on your games! :D So it is a very fun thing to do when out on a game deving escapade! XD :D Haha!!

Thanks so much once again, Kokoro! :D It really gladdens me that I've helped, as it inspired me to keep on doing these things for the community! ^__^

lianderson, Finnuval and Kokoro Hane like this.
  3. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello everyone! Here's a little inspirational vid I made for you guys to make you all realize how amazing game devs you truly are! XD :D ^__^ Hope you enjoy! :D

atoms, Kokoro Hane and Finnuval like this.
  4. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hehe a little too new-age for me personally (mostly due to the echo on the voice which reminds me too much of the Zen-channel over here lol) but again good points overall regardless :)
    Though we don't have such glorious sunshine over here when I wake up haha more like overcast and rain -.- (still beautiful though) xD

And thank you for being you too xD

Starmage likes this.
  5. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hahah hello @Finnuval !! I am so happy that you enjoyed the video! And yes, I did have some sort of like out of the broom closet moments in there xD :D And there are some new-age elements here and there! :) And ohhh, Zen-channel huh?! XD :D Woow! But yes, I'm really happy you that resonate with the message, Finnuval! Thank you so much for that kinds words as well! ^_^ :D :)

Keep your artistic self shining! <3

Finnuval likes this.
  6. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yeah the Zen-Channel isn't as good as it sounds though (sadly) as inner-peace and commercial tv don't go together well, imo xD

And they are not kind words they are deserved words ;)

Starmage likes this.
  7. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ohhh! Inner-peace and commercial-tv? XD :D That sounds like two separate worlds indeed hahah xD :D

And aww, that is so gracious of you to say indeed, Finnuval! ^_^ :) I wish to thank you once again, for also being one of the amazing devs here that have inspired and motivated me along with my game dev journey! ;) ^_^

Finnuval likes this.
  8. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah it doesn't :D

No need for thanks... just calling it as I see it is all xD

Starmage likes this.
  9. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    :MV1::kaoluv:

Finnuval likes this.
  10. Kokoro Hane

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I watched the video! It was very good. Like @Finnuval I do agree some aspects were a bit too new age-y for me as well, but there were still many greats points to take away from it that are very helpful! I do like the game dev journal thing. Maybe that would help me be more organized. It also helped me get creative with other ways to start the game dev day as well. Like I came up with this exercise you could do once in awhile where you look at all your released games/demos, and list everything you like about that game. Most of the time, we always look at the glaring mistakes, or how cringey and/or embarrassing it is/was, but I think it'd be fun to dissect what you love about it. What charm does it have? Is there something in it you'd like to bring over to your current dev experience? Has there been elements of these older projects that you still use today, which may help identify your unique stamp? etc.

Your videos are good to get the mind thinking! Good job ^^

Starmage and Finnuval like this.
  11. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello @Kokoro Hane ! Thank you so much and I'm very happy that you find the video helpful indeed! ^_^ :D And yep, I do have to apologize for some of the over emphasis on the new agey stuff lol xD :D I guess it got the better of me :) But yes! The game dev journal thing is indeed a great way for you to start your game dev day! ;) ^_^

And ohhh! It's awesome that you're applying some of the exercises on many of your games/demos and realize their limitless potential! ^_^ :D I know that everyone may find cringey parts of their games once in a while, but it is truly progressive to start focusing on what you love about it, and how fun it can truly be! XD :D :)

Anyway, thanks so much once again, Kokoro! ^_^ :)

Kokoro Hane likes this.
  12. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! Here is a daily affirmation video I made for everyone to help you see the greatness in what you are doing as a game dev! <3 Hope you enjoy! ^_^ Belated happy easter! xD <3

13. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! Here's a new game dev counseling vid where I discuss my positive experiences with experimenting in your game dev journey! ^_^ Hope it shall also help you guys! Enjoy! :D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Finnuval and Kokoro Hane like this.
  14. Kokoro Hane

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi there!

This is a really good topic. I personally love experimenting myself. Whilst I definitely feel I have my own brand and usual style, I love versatility and have pretty eclectic interests, so I totally encourage people to experiment and try new things! Jams and challenges are especially good excuses for this. It may be the perfect opportunity to try that thing you always wanted to try, but may be afraid "well this isn't like my usual..." if it's something you want to tackle, go for it! It doesn't make you less you, just shows another side of you~

The topic presented in this video made me think of a fun exercise people should try--look at all your games, and see what innovations each of them have. What makes this game different from your last game. Even if it's subtle, you may have experimented with a little something different already, which I feel helps to encourage oneself's that they are progressing and not stuck in the same place, and may help embolden one to try new avenues. Some things work, some things don't--it's all trial and error.

And thanks for clearing up your cosplay error for your last video, I sadly too thought of red riding hood xD

Finnuval and Starmage like this.
  15. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello @Kokoro Hane ! Thank you so much for sharing here your thoughts, as always! ^_^ :D I am very happy that you find this a good topic to tackle on, as indeed, all of the points that you've written are so true when it comes to experimenting and innovating with your projects! ;) ^_^ XD

And yes, Jams, events and challenges are perfect outlets for experimenting with how you approach game developing on new projects! ;) Like in the games I mentioned in the video, they are all for RMN/RMW events (which are like game james as well), and I was able to experiment with new things there! :D XD So it's really cool! :) And you're right about trying out new things that aren't "your usual" as it allows you to really discover what more you can do as a game dev. ;) And you never know what you might find, which is the fun part of it all! :D

That fun little exercise is also really neat, Kokoro! :D XD Looking at each of your games, and see what new innovations you did as you progress, is a great way to encourage and uplift yourself. As you can see what improvements and improvisations you did along the journey with these projects. ;) And yes, that is a key phrase "Trial and error" :D

And oh my! Ahaha xD :D Yup! That was an error on my part! XD :D I wanted to experiment cosplaying as a white mage, but much to my sadness, I did not have a white inner robe x(( So I ended up looking like red riding hood! XD :D And you weren't the only one who thought of this, I promise! >.< Haha xD :D

Anyway, thank you so much once again for sharing your thoughts, Kokoro! ^_^ I always love reading them! :D

16. Kokoro Hane

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Starmage Haha yup! Trial and error, see what works, and see what doesn't. This is why passion projects and free projects, I feel, is essential to all game devs to do. It allows us to play with ideas, and gather info on that maybe someday ambitious project to fund with crowdfunding, or make commercial, etc.

I am almost in the mood to try these exercises myself, haha, been meaning to since I suggest them. But I began thinking of a lot of my own projects and what I've tried, what I liked about them, etc. I loved how you listed the new innovations you experimented with in your past projects, and how they were all events here at RM. I myself am doing the one map challenge, starting an experiment I have been itching to try!

17. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh wow! You should most definitely participate in the one map challenge, Kokoro! ^_^ :D It is a great way to play around with what you can do, most esp. with what you said, it may even pave way for ideas to an ambitious project someday. ;) XDD You know, experimenting around with plugins and other resources with that little one map, can truly give you fuel for some future long project ideas. ;)

And yep! ^_^ XD I did have fun with my event projects, because they became outlets for me as well to try new stuff that is different from my usual approach to making games! XD :D

So it is really great to know that you are trying out the exercises that you suggested, Kokoro! :D And for that, I am also trying it out myself, as it is a very fun exercise to look back at your projects and see how much you've innovated with your projects in order. xD :D ;)

Once again, I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts here, Kokoro! :D As much as I love being able to share with my experiences, it is also just as amazing to learn from you guys with your own experiences in game deving!! ^_^ :D

18. Kokoro Hane

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Starmage I guess we devs just learn from each other, it is a positive, mutual thing, and ways to learn what works best for each individual dev ^^

19. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wow! Very beautifully said, Kokoro!! ^_^ :D I couldn't agree more! ;) ^_^ <3

Kokoro Hane and Finnuval like this.
  20. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let me start by saying I'm glad to see you're okay xD

Now for the vid : yeah, experimenting is very important in developing not only your creativity but you as a person so you can't ever go wrong with that. Even if something fails you can look back at it and enjoy the time you had experimenting on its own without judging it by the result.

@Kokoro Hane You are not the only one that though Red Riding Hood haha @Starmage don't say sorry for it though ; you had fun and even learned something I guess haha We'll just create a new class "Red Riding White Mage Hood" :guffaw: In the end though it doesn't matter : you tried, you learned, you had fun and you evaluated it for yourself and it brought you new experiences and insight and that's what matters :)

I'll go one step further then this. It actually makes you more as finding more sides of you is a more 'whole' you xD

Nothing more to add really, great vid :)

Kokoro Hane and Starmage like this.