RMMV Starshard

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by l8rose, Jun 29, 2017.

1. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

If you could have any wish granted, any wish at all, what would you wish for?
    Would you wish to return home, a place you left long ago?
    Would you wish for wealth? For Fame? For Family?
    Any wish granted without knowing the consequences.
    Would you still make that wish?

In an age where Gods have forsaken the Land of Men, one young woman must begin a quest to find the Starstone and her way back home. However, she is not the first to search for the legendary item and other worldly beings have taken an interest in her quest.
    The game features the traditional RPG battling and questing, attempting to keep it close to the early SNES FF games. The Main Character begins life as a mage type but can progress to suit the desires of the player. Additional characters can be recruited but will have their own motivations that possibly clash with the main characters.

Althea
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Althea is the main character of our game. Her story begins as normal as any other with a strange man in a dream telling her to find the Starstone and find her way home. She's a plucky sort of girl and genuinely likes to help others. Unlike many denizens in the land, Althea is capable of wielding magic naturally. Name can be changed by players.

Rip

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rip or Moriptheus is the childhood friend of our main character. A hardy fighter, he left their home village some time ago but has just returned for a visit.

????

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The unknown man in the main character's dreams. He has begun offering her advice but his reasons are unknown.

Sol
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A bit of a vagabond, Althea's first meeting with the half Luthan is through the walls of her Galdania prison cell. He joins Althea's journey for the Starshard early on and does little to hide the fact that he seeks the object to sell it to the highest bidder.

Inera

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    A mysterious woman who works for the even more mysterious Clockmaker in Galdania city. She longs for the day when she can open up her own shop of technological wonders.

Lyra
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A young Ossian who has lived her entire life in the priesthood. Possessing a sheltered view of the world, she has no idea what lies in store for her as she joins in Althea's quest to search for the Starshard.

Killian
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A Northerner who ventured south for his own reasons, he found himself in the employ of the King of Galdania before falling in with Althea in her quest for the Starshard. Perhaps one of the few who actually does not want the legendary item.

Other characters are to be added later.
    Starshard takes place in a world that once knew magic but is just getting to the "Steampunk" era. Some places are more technologically advanced but not to a heavy degree. Mythology wise, the Gods mostly abandoned the various nations (which took magic from the world) but some still worship and pray. The game starts off in Aldar Village, a small hamlet with only a few residents before moving on to Galdania, which is the main "hub" for the game.
    As the game progresses, the player will explore several cities in the different nations as they quest for the Starstone. Along the way, the main character learns more about herself and the mystery that is Aldar Village.

• Update Sprites for all characters.
    • Finish Images/Facesets.
    • Find a sound I actually like for discovering items.
    • Remove the TP entirely as it's not used.
    • Tweaking battles, enemies and items.
    • Finish other Maps
    • Finish other sprites

• Rip taking so little damage from rats. They're rats, he's a trained soldier.
    • The demo ending at the end of speaking with ???? the second time. I cut it there as it felt alright to me.

• Passability issues. Resolved, will be in updated demo.
    • ???? not talking automatically. Resolved, will be in updated demo.

starshard1.png
    starshard2.png
    starshard3.png

Art - Avery, Pandamaru, Hiddenone, Sythian Bard, Indrah, Whtdragon
    Plugins - Huddel, Yanfly
    Music - Murray Atkinson, Jukebox
    If I forgot someone here, please let me know. I'm brain dead and forgot to put this in originally.

Gallery has been taken down due to Coppermine repeatedly taking a seizure over the last week. ​

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    PHAZE7, samkfj, Starmage and 3 others like this.
  2. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I gave your demo a go, it's short but seems like it will be interesting. Can't say much about the story at this point, but the little bits you gave me did leave me curious to see what happens next.

The Good (What I liked)
    - Offering a tutorial mode option in the beginning is a nice touch.
    - The maps look nice, maybe a touch too big inside the houses but the details are nice to look at.
    The Bad (What I think needs work)
    - I'd prefer if ???? just started talking to me when I'm in his room since there's really not much else to do there (I know there's a starshard in it, but since I can save via the menu it's not really important).
    - Rip just ditches Althea after getting the ring? Seems kinda rude, maybe give the player the option to head back to town with him. That way the player can skip having to fight the rats on the way back (especially since the rats do zero damage if you're level 2).
    The Ugly (Mapping mistakes & other presentation issues)
    - This mostly just entertained me, but if you say 'no' when asked if Althea is your name and then just say 'ok' on the name input screen they'll talk like 'Althea' is a totally different name. You could erase Althea's name before going to name input so that's less likely to happen.
    - The old man says 'adventerer' instead of 'adventurer' when mentioning what he used to do.
    - There are a lot of passability issues. I could walk up onto the cliff corner next to the old man from in front of the steps to the rich man's house, and I also walked all over the top of the rich man's desk and plant.
    - Rip's dialogue when walking to their secret spot goes by way too quickly. Let the player control when it changes.

l8rose likes this.
  3. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Never thought about either of those but added those in as it makes sense.

I changed that over to being blank before you get the option to change it but yeah, I didn't quite think that bit of text through. lol
    Fixed the spelling and passability issues.
    And changed the flow of text, I'm terrible for forgetting that people don't read as quickly as I do.

Thank you for the feedback!

4. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad you found the feedback useful. :) As I said, the name thing was pretty funny so I don't think it's something to worry too much about (though if you made it so that if you said no and then still put in Althea and had ???? notice that I'd be quite amused). I read quickly too, so I try reading lines out loud to see if I can do it before the words disappear. If I can't, then it may be going too fast for some people.

l8rose likes this.
  5. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's much appreciated cause I tend to miss things when I hyper click for testing other things. Of course, my luck with random is terrible, I didn't even get the Adventurer comment from the old man so I kept forgetting to check my spelling. lol
    That would be pretty funny. His original comments were a bit snarky if you kept asking him to repeat the information about Starshards but I decided to change it out.
    That's actually pretty good advice. I'll keep that in mind for any scenes I do later.

6. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Updated with several WIP sketches of additional characters.
    An updated Demo featuring chapter 1 should be up within the coming week, perhaps later.

7. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well the Demo has been delayed for a while and will continue to be delayed until I update the sprites for the soldiers and another Main NPC.

Most of the main city map is completed along with several dungeons and "midway" map.
    Updated the MC's sprite as well as completed a preliminary bust for her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Updated thread with the preliminary bust WIPs for three of the party characters. Complete infographic for them will be up some time after the updated demo.

9. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fixing a problem with one of the story routes (Otherwise known as I forgot to actually put it in) so demo is delayed again.

Here's some screenshots for monsters I'm working on. I need to make the color of the things with teeth to be a little more uniform but rather pleased with them as is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I hope you're still working on this title, I like what you're doing here.

l8rose likes this.
  11. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I second that. Like your monsters design too... Wish I could do that style...sigh

l8rose likes this.
  12. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am still working on this although a little on the slow side. I plan on having a longer demo up after I'm finished IGMC this year.

Thank you. =] The monsters are available on my general resources thread as well. =] And it's really all about practice.

Finnuval and samkfj like this.
  13. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok Ill check that out.

I will have to disagree on the practice though as it's also A matter of style and not all styles can be mastered by one person ;)

My style as shown on my concept thread is A bit too far removed from this I fear haha but I do appreciate the thought :)

l8rose likes this.
  14. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well that may be true but with practice (and time) you can mimic the style of another. That aside, your own style is good too. Having a unique style does make things stand out as clearly yours. =]

15. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    True again... Maybe Im Just to old to learn New stuff haha well youre never to old to learn really but Yeah haha. Still awesome enemies :D