Started with Don's Adventures - now dealing with MV

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by V_Aero, May 7, 2019.

1. V_Aero

V_Aero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey folks,

I'm V Aero, or just Aero, I'm 25y old and just finished my studies in computer science. I live in Germany.

Years ago, when we were in 5th grade, a friend of mine got a copy of the old RPG Maker including Don's Adventures. We all furiously started making or own games and slowly learned what we can do with this tool. Remember, we were kids, although our games consists of RTP images only and had a very poor story - or none.

We upgraded to XP and I was the only one to deal with the scripts, so I made scripts for my friends. Since then I know that scripting is what I like most in game development. Later I spent some time with Ace, but never managed to finish a game. My problem is that I'm a bad story writer and I cannot create a long, stable story which makes sense and has no plot holes or logical errors.

TL;DR
    Some days ago I bought the MV. Still knowing I would never finish a 40h RPG, my plan is now to focus on my passion: programming. When I cannot keep up making an epic story, I can establish routines to procedurally generate maps and maybe a full game on it. The story of course would move more into the background, however I have my plans and ideas to still make a very good and fun game with enough content, surprises and secrets to explore. Before you say procedurally generation is too hard to develop, I already have managed to create mazes, and more features will come!

Best regards
    Aero

2. SepulcherGeist

SepulcherGeist Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi! While I have a lot of trouble with the fine arts and music, story is the one thing I CAN do. If you're having trouble writing a compelling and stable story, I'll toss you a few tips that were given to me when I got my formal education in creative writing.

First off: Just write/create it. Write your first draft (or create your first game), start to finish. Do very little, if any, rethinking of your plot, until it's come to its natural and desired conclusion. By then, your story will have flushed out its true nature and spirit, it'll likely be far different than first imagined, and it's finally time to revise. Go back over it and tidy it up with the end and plot points in mind. Add in foreshadowing and so forth, makes your story look more and more clever. You'll encounter plot holes. Many of them. Until suddenly you'll start fixing them. Often one fix will cause a chain reaction of fixes, and your story will grow stable.

Do not write (or in this case, create) a story intending for it to be stable to begin with. No good story ever written has ever been stable in its first incarnation, and anyone who claims otherwise is lying or gravely mistaken. Before you make the omelet, you're going to have to crack some eggs and make a mess.

V_Aero likes this.
  3. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welcome the community. If you can code JavaScript, you can trade your programming skill with others who are a good writer (in the project rescuit section). Everyone has weaknesses, so do whatever you are talents.

4. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welcome! Your procedurally generator sounds very interesting. Will look forward to what you can make with it. Best of luck!