Starting a Youtube channel. Some questions.

Promising Youtube channel?

• Yes, sounds good.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Could use other ideas instead/in addition.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! Sounds blehhhhhhhh!!!!

• Weeb heheh

• Other.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello guys,

I'm thinking of starting my own Youtube channel. There's no guarantee that it's going to be successful, or if I'll even have the dedication to keep it active. But I'd like to give it a shot. Somethings I'm wondering:

1. Should I just let the channel gain views and subscribers on its own? Should I promote it on this forum or other places? Currently, I'm active here and on another forum. It's probably helpful if I promote my channel in these two forums. But what I'm worried about is the channel will be associated with me. Maybe someday, someone will dig up the things I've said and try to sabotage my channel.
065.gif

"Hey, this guy said pineapple is great with pizza", or something like that.
Honestly, I managed to piss off people from both sides of the political spectrum already.
No regrets, though. Maybe I'm just worrying too much about a trivial matter?

2. Using OBS: I have a 1080p monitor, but some games can be set to 4k resolution.
Should I record in 4k as much as possible? Would it be better than recording at 1080p then upscaling it to 4k in DaVinci? Does it matter that my monitor isn't 4k?

3. I'm interested in making the switch to being a Vtuber someday, even if I will only stream once in a while and not talk much. Is it a wise idea to build up a certain number of followers first by posting only recorded gameplay videos? Hell, I don't think I'm suitable for it, but it looks somewhat interesting, lol.
018.gif

4. Majority of my contents will be games in Japanese with English and Vietnamese subtitles/captions. I see that there are quite many obscure indie Japanese games, especially horror ones, that are still untranslated and remain unknown to the rest of the world. I think this is an area that is still untouched, and can be exploited.
Upanhso.tk-39.gif
Unless someone else out there is already doing this. Please let me know. My fluency level is N3 at best, so I'm probably gonna struggle somewhat.

I'm also going to be playing other mainstream games in Japanese instead of English, but these are often old games, like DBZ Another Road, for example, and in 4k resolution. Some people like hearing Japanese dub instead. I might play some RPG Maker games from the community and give developers feedback as well. So, overall, these are the kinds of videos that I am planning to upload. Does this sound like contents that many people will be interested in?
Upanhso.tk-30.gif
Of course, I'll post gameplay videos in English, too. Depends on what I feel like, I guess.

These are the questions on top of my head right now. Will ask again if I can think of more. If you guys have any advice for me, please feel free to post them. If all things go well, I should start to upload my first video(s) within this month. I've planned to do this since last year, when I built my new PC, but slacked off until now. It's not until I discovered Vtubers that my passion lit up again.
100.gif

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Vtubing and their audience probably would be very different than people here. So, asking this question in the other community (such as the streaming/vtubing community) probably yields a better result. Although, I don't know any other than, well... Twitter.

Pre-recorded contents are fine though. Some of LPs are pre-recorded anyway. The important part would be exploring what content you would be comfortable doing first. Once you gain a few followers/fanbases, you can start to stream games.

But as a disclaimer, no, I have no experience in the streaming/making youtube content. So take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. Should I just let the channel gain views and subscribers on its own? Should I promote it on this forum or other places?
That is extremely unlikely to happen. If you're not promoting your channel anywhere, the odds of people just happening to start watching it are negligible. Especially if you're talking about playing obscure Japanese games that people are unlikely to search for randomly.
2. Using OBS: I have a 1080p monitor, but some games can be set to 4k resolution.
Should I record in 4k as much as possible? Would it be better than recording at 1080p then upscaling it to 4k in DaVinci? Does it matter that my monitor isn't 4k?
How can you see the game to play and record it if you set it to a higher resolution than your monitor supports?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you are posting something that is currently popular and tagged your video correctly, people would start discovering it on its own, thanks to random youtube recommendations.

I posted a gameplay video on youtube and I only shared the link on my private discord server with my friends, and it gained 1k views in the next few days because it was currently popular.

So, I guess to gain views or followers, you probably want to start covering something popular (or controversial).

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll only answer the bits I have knowledge, or some experience on.

Should I just let the channel gain views and subscribers on its own?
Only expect to get views, if you actively promote it.

Should I promote it on this forum or other places?
Just dropping the link to the video at places you hang around in is a first step.
As you start making more videos, and develop more confidence that your content is good to watch. You can start to actively look at other places you can promote it.

(When you start out, making a video will take a lot of time. But as you do it more and more, you will get faster at it. So initially, you will spend less time on sharing. Later, you'll have more time to share and market.)

Maybe someday, someone will dig up the things I've said and try to sabotage my channel.
Never show fear. Let's hope that if it ever happens, that by that time you have the patience to push through it. And a loyal following to support you at it.
Care about your viewers and your following, interact with them, and they will stick by you when you're in trouble.

I'm interested in making the switch to being a Vtuber someday
Showing an animated character on screen, whether real, or anime. Helps keep viewer's attention.
So the sooner you switch to Vtuber, the better. (Design that Vtuber model good! People will be staring at it all the time, in every video.)

I think this is an area that is still untouched,
It's a good idea if you can execute it. :LZScheeze:

Does this sound like contents that many people will be interested in?
Start, and find it out on your own. (It doesn't hurt to fail. It hurts more to never have tried.)
Just don't expect to mine gold on your first try. Or forever stick to the thing you've decided to do.
I made my first video back in November 2015. Just look at the content I started out with... and compare it to what I'm doing now... with daily RPG Maker news. :LZSlol:

Former_Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The idea of playing several obscure japanese games sounds like a neat concept, an original one, and a niche you could carve into and grow from there.

One thing that I keep seeing is this insistence on 4k, when you don't really need it. As long as the video is clear, it's good. So don't worry too much about resolution starting out. DO, however, worry about audio. I have occasionally left a video for garbage visuals, but I 100% leave when the audio is bad. I'm also picky when it comes to voice. If someone has a bad voice that I can't stand listening to, I'm out.

I'm one of those guys that won't tell you to stop, because this is something you want to do. If you don't you'll be a bitter person some day.

Hopefully with that and everyone else's advice, you can jump in there and get started.

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the idea is good and it could work but the question is: What is your ultimate goal?

If you just want to do it for fun, make some advertising in the forums when you upload new videos. Publish your vids, check the reaction and improve step by step without feeling much pressure.

If you want to do it more professional or leave an impact by quality: Please consider that this really takes a lot of time. Optimizing a video before uploading usually takes tremendously more time than the actual shooting. I put some efforts in my videos in the past and 30 minutes of video took me roughly 8 to 10 hours of work. But i had fun doing this so it was no issue for me, but if you don't like doing this it will be quite rough.

By the way: Using a v-tube avatar is a thing. They have their own fanbase which might overlap with the people interested in your content, but there are a lot of possible viewers out there who won't watch a video simply because it is a v-tuber. You should try to figure out if it would acutally attract more viewers or scare more of them away.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
How can you see the game to play and record it if you set it to a higher resolution than your monitor supports?

Yeah, I can still see and play the game. I guess a more correct term is "texture quality"...?
020.gif

Just dropping the link to the video at places you hang around in is a first step.

Yeah. I'm totally gonna keep dropping links at a certain manga site after they restore the forum.
Upanhso.tk-32.gif

Showing an animated character on screen, whether real, or anime. Helps keep viewer's attention.
So the sooner you switch to Vtuber, the better. (Design that Vtuber model good! People will be staring at it all the time, in every video.)

I do have a character, but it's not animated, or at least not as much as something from Live2D. It's more like an avatar, or mascot, kind of character.
And being a Vtuber requires me to talk, which is not possible at the moment. Not until I have my own room, lol. Best I can do is stream but chat instead of talk, but it'll be hard to chat and play at the same time. Well, I can only hope someday, the chance will come.
98.gif

One thing that I keep seeing is this insistence on 4k, when you don't really need it. As long as the video is clear, it's good. So don't worry too much about resolution starting out. DO, however, worry about audio. I have occasionally left a video for garbage visuals, but I 100% leave when the audio is bad. I'm also picky when it comes to voice. If someone has a bad voice that I can't stand listening to, I'm out.

I'm not really crazy with 4k, either. It's truly a pain and time consuming to work with. But it's something, even if minor, that can help a channel stand out from others. It's also future-proofed.
062.gif
Audio won't be much of an issue, as I will only be posting recorded gameplay with no commentary.

I think the idea is good and it could work but the question is: What is your ultimate goal?

I have a few ideas that I think I can make into some interesting videos, and I want to turn them into reality. Pretty much the same reason why I use RPG Maker. I have some silly ideas for a game, and I just started game making, hoping to turn my imagination into something tangible. That, and I found a niche that has yet to be discovered, as far as I know. Something that I can use my language skills for. But I guess, ultimately, I just want to have fun, trying out something I find interesting.
079.gif

I wasn't just doing nothing, either. I've been testing with 1080p and 4k videos.

Anyone has a 4k monitor or TV? Can you guys see the difference in these two videos?

What I can see is that the 4k one is brighter and looks slightly sharper. This is most evidently when you look at Heihachi's hair and Eddy's outfit and stage. This is just what I see on my 1080p monitor, by the way. Think it's worth the effort? XD

Gotta admit that rendering, compressing, and uploading 4k were time consuming and a chore. Had to go ask people about settings for Davinci, Handbrake, keyframe, which codec to use, did a bunch of tests, etc. Man... =_=

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To be honest: Not sure how many viewers use a 4k monitor. And additionally i think the difference is marginal at best.
If it is causing you a lot of additional effort i think you better invest it somewhere else and don't use 4k.

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1. Should I just let the channel gain views and subscribers on its own? Should I promote it on this forum or other places? Currently, I'm active here and on another forum. It's probably helpful if I promote my channel in these two forums. But what I'm worried about is the channel will be associated with me.
Even if you promote it or not, if you get big enough, people will probably find stuff anyway. If you want to grow naturally you need to stand out and use the youtube algorithm to your advantage and figure out what the best element are to gain traction. Right now it's all about #Shorts
Should I record in 4k as much as possible?
To begin with, stick to 720p or 1080p. Why start with 4k? Your gonna have to spend more time rendering and uploading files, and people don't watch content cause its in 4k. Most monitors I sell are 1080p to 2k. So in other words, they can't see the 4k quality as far as I understand. 4k is the height of the market, but its not common in the average gamer setup.
3. I'm interested in making the switch to being a Vtuber someday, even if I will only stream once in a while and not talk much. Is it a wise idea to build up a certain number of followers first by posting only recorded gameplay videos?
I might sound a bit mean here, but if you won't talk much, whats the point in vtubing? The most boring youtubers or streamers I see is Vtubers who has a stand still model that really only tracks their face, but does it poorly and barely talk. Why have the model there at all at that point?

That said, transitioning over to Vtubing further down if done properly is very welcoming. Change is often good, and look at PewDiePie as an example. I remember when I subscribed back when he had 10k subscribers. Quite **** quality at the time, and by 100k it was improved and so on. Quality is a show of growth. Heck, I hate some of my videos, cause I know I could've done them better.

Moving onto what I believe is the right Vtubing experience. You need a proper webcam that can track your face properly, as well as investing into Leap Motion. What is that you ask? It's a little gadget that will track your hand and body movement, attached to your t-shirt overlooking your hands. Suddenly, your entire model moves, and not just the face. It really brings the model alive and makes you stand out.
[
4. Majority of my contents will be games in Japanese with English and Vietnamese subtitles/captions.
Of course, I'll post gameplay videos in English, too. Depends on what I feel like, I guess.
I don't mean to sound like a complete ass again, but I honestly think, at least for me, it's either or. I would not be subscribed to a channel switching between languages depending on the video. One part is that it's annoying looking forward to a video, just to be excluded by language barrier. The other part is that you split your community in two. I don't say this to shut you down, but just to make you aware.

While I personally think it comes down to personality and how content is presented, others have different things they look for. I think that playing games that never was translated, subtitle them and then bringing context and talking about them, especially if parts of the story of said horror game is based on traditional japanese folklore or religion would be super interesting. It's a world many people love to explore, and could stand out a little, while still having the game and personality going to lead you through the story.

To end with, it's all up to what you make of it. What I think, someone else will look for the exact opposite. If you have a dream, or a goal, you should always chase it. And even if you fail, you've gained something.
And to end it all on a little quote:
"It's always better to give it a shot and say I tried, rather than letting the opportunity pass and regret never trying"

VCraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Other
There's no guarantee that it's going to be successful, or if I'll even have the dedication to keep it active
Depends what do you mean by being successful on youtube. To do something that you like, maybe find a small group of people who will follow you, and then maybe create a discord group together?
Or do you mean - to be successful = to become very popular on youtube? Then it needs a research to see what type of videos get the most followers and likes (some types are weird, asmr, mukbang, some are okay - reaction types of videos).
There a lot of players who play video games and make videos about it. Unless you start playing a new mobile game and will be one of the first who uploads the video when the new content/event is coming - it will be very hard/unlikely to become popular just by playing random and relatively old games. Though if you have great sense of humor you have a chance.

But what I'm worried about is the channel will be associated with me. Maybe someday, someone will dig up the things I've said and try to sabotage my channel.
065.gif

"Hey, this guy said pineapple is great with pizza", or something like that.
Unless you become a super star no one will dig up and take notes of things that you say, no worries :smile: But even then, do you think Pewdiepie cares so much how everyone reacts to the things that he says?

If you guys have any advice for me, please feel free to post them.
Do whatever you enjoy the most. Don't think about likes and followers in that case, just enjoy your time.
If your goal is to become popular then a road of coping of what other people who became popular do is a way to go.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sorry, I took so long to reply. Been really busy these last few weeks.
015.gif

I realize that I am too much of a perfectionist when it comes to these editing and recording. I keep trying to record "the perfect" footage (perfect headshot, no missing dialogue, no audio glitch, etc.), and I ended up taking longer than I should be. And sometimes, it's the game that doesn't work right...
075.gif
It's pretty dumb, yeah, and it wasn't what I intended when I first started. It was nothing too serious at first, but then eventually I became obsessed with making everything as close to flawless as I can. I am satisfied with the result, but this surely can't be healthy or efficient, or even normal, in the long run...
049.gif
Hopefully I can be done with this by the weekend.

I might sound a bit mean here, but if you won't talk much, whats the point in vtubing? The most boring youtubers or streamers I see is Vtubers who has a stand still model that really only tracks their face, but does it poorly and barely talk. Why have the model there at all at that point?

No, no. You're right. It's just an idea that I entertained, an open possibility in the future, though I doubt I have what it takes, lol. Yeah, I've done my research. If I can do it, later in the future, then great. But it's probably not something I should worry much about at this point.
Upanhso.tk-24.gif

I would not be subscribed to a channel switching between languages depending on the video. One part is that it's annoying looking forward to a video, just to be excluded by language barrier. The other part is that you split your community in two. I don't say this to shut you down, but just to make you aware.

Hm... You have a point there. Doing those subtitle captions can take a long time, and people might or might not come back.
91.gif

Depends what do you mean by being successful on youtube. To do something that you like, maybe find a small group of people who will follow you, and then maybe create a discord group together?

Eh, I guess I shouldn't aim too high and go beyond my ability. Just having a decent number of followers who I can interact with easily is enough.
61.gif
If I end up making a little extra money out of this, even better. But I don't really expect much.

DrWho42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
tubebuddy is free and useful for stats

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I have a really hard time keeping all these goodies secret til December... but I swear, it is worth the wait!
Working on a Premium version of my minimap plugin that will have advanced functionalities such as drawing a Terrain map based completely on the users tilesets, whatever they may be, and drawing minimap radar icons automatically based on texture of the event the note is applied to.
Psttt come look, this is the secret technique to tenderizing steaks, it makes it extra beefy. :rwink:

pixeldailyaxemeatsheild.gif
#screenshotsaturday update, featuring vaporwave angels lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoodieraady