Starting town names (suggestions)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SKGaming, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKGaming

SKGaming The Hidden Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello RPGM community!

I have started a new project that is loosely based on Sword Art Online combined with No Game No Life. It is a fantasy RPG and I need an idea for the initial town name.

Any ideas will be taken into consideration.

2. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well you can't go wrong using the word new or fresh (or something else similar) to get that first town name going on; pokemon games do this all the time. Just combine it with something you might see in a fantasy game:

Something like Fresh Forge Village/New Forge Village.

Apart from that is there something that stands out in the town, like a landmass, river, etc... that could be reflected in the name.

SKGaming likes this.
  3. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Arandis? Lendis, Leandis, Lyndis, Egalliv, Eldigan village? They probably suck, naming is not something i'm good at.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
    SKGaming likes this.
  4. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    village of beginnings

SKGaming and NeoFantasy like this.
  5. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Then again, I like names to feel coherent and have a deeper meaning. You could name it Flazorg if you thought it sounded cool but it would be hollow and reference nothing. What is this place's culture? Is there anything noticeable about it? What is its history? Do you want it to reference something from the real world, a place, a culture, a mythology, an idea?

For exemple, my current project is kind of a celtic steampunk genre and the storyline is derived from celtic mythology. Well my characters and places have celtic-sounding names or reference elements from celtic mythologies. The King's castle won't be named Al'Jazzira Palace or Wing Wong Castle even if I thought it was the absolute coolest possible combination of letters in the whole world.

6. JoeMB

JoeMB Warper Member

First Language:
    English
     "Neo Regalia" would be my choice. 

But I agree with LaFlibuste,

It's all about thinking about the culture of what your game is about. 

I'd say look up the names of towns within both shows and play around with the original names.

SKGaming likes this.
  7. SKGaming

First Language:
    English
    Usually, I would probably need to develop a tad more story plot in order to name the initial town based on culture, history, or something along those lines.

However, this is a special case. One might suggest that there is no history behind the town. Originally, the main character starts out in Los Angeles, California. He buys a game, gets sucked into said game with thousands of other players, and wakes up in (Insert town name here). <---- this is what I need.

Now as to how it should be named. I probably should've gone into further detail  in my initial  post, meaning that I haven't really explained the theme.

The story takes place in a fantasy world inside a game, sort of like the scenario in Sword Art Online. I need somewhat Norse sounding names, but I don't want it to end up sounding exactly like something out of Skyrim. Yes, it can sound similar, but I don't wanna be nagged for copyright issues.

Jack_the_Ripper likes this.
  8. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    How about nýfold a rough internet search led me to find ný as new and fold as Earth in old nordic.

Here's the page if you want more ideas http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/norol-EI-X.html

Apart from that you can throw "gard" at then end of just about any word and make it sound norse-like.

SKGaming likes this.
  9. Chrispy

Chrispy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A lot of games that use 'Norse' culture (like Skyrim) use Germanic words in general combined with English to give it a bit of familiarity but still sound exotic. If everything in that game sounds Norse enough to you, there's like a dozen different languages you can look at for simple names for towns and other places. You could use just about any word in the English language and then add a word from another language for city/town/etc. at the end of it. Examples include -stadt, -kent, -ville, -dun, -grad, -by, etc. If you have to have it sound as authentically Norse-like as possible, you could use -thorpe.

Some names as examples ::: Eaglethorpe, Irondun, Oaksby, Westkent

10. SwarleyPilgrim

SwarleyPilgrim Internet Billionaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I always admired town names that had a theme, with the beginning town being directly related to that theme. Pallet town for example, with all the other towns being named after colors. 

The game I'm working on is based on the Holidays, and the beginning town is Arbor Island! =P

11. Kitsou

Kitsou Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Of course it's very important, that you think of why the people named their town like that.

Usually it's because of a special location, trade or event.

So tell us something about your city does first, so we can find a proper name.

12. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist Veteran

First Language:
    english
     Barton town BD

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  13. SKGaming

First Language:
    English
    Ok, I think I have it to where I can explain it. The city itself is sort of like a merchant city, as well as the capital of the region, and on top of that, a stronghold that is a safe haven from monsters and/or creepy NPCs (there will be some backstory behind that in-game). It's got a myriad of merchants, and even a high priest/priestess of the city. It also harbors a few factions looking to control the city, and thus, the region as well. These factions often get in turf wars outside of the city walls, but not inside the city, because it is a safe zone from any combat damage whatsoever. All disputes are taken outside the walls.

That's all there really is to what goes on inside the city. There's no history behind it, no special purpose (other than the starting point of the game).

14. Garolf

Garolf Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    Maybe this is the Problem....

Your City has a history - every city has this.

With this history (and purpose) you keep your world alive.

You said there is a massive wall and alot of cash.

So why are theses thing are there? Maybe to work as a safe? Why is it a safezone? Is it ruled by a corrupt major with soldiers, which 'controls' all trades in the city. Where does the population live? Are they poor and slums, but the rich live in big houses?

Or are there a big Hero who has saved the City and then they build the wall? Maybe the city was named after him and a big statue is at the entrance. And the groups, which fight outside, did this because they are afraid of the hero to come back with his allmightness.

You need really a Backstory of every City (even every NPC). All have a reason to be where they are and reasons to act like they act.

Even you could call the city 'Newstart' (because of the startarea) and Ingame you could say, that a lot of people come to the city to get some money for a restart. So you will have NPCs which are new at the city, searching for jobs, or hope to live better. And bad guys in the city who exploit these poor chars.

15. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Naming themes for me tend to end with '-helm', '-heim', '-port', or '-(r)as'. It sounds like your game might be more like 'Log Horizon; in concept than SAO or NGNL.

16. Sated

Sated puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    There are literally tonnes of name generators online, and they cover loads of different types of town name. Names related to specific cultures, specific languages, specific parts of the world, different genres etc. 

You really shouldn't need to ask this here.

17. fella2015

fella2015 Warper Member

Did anyone say "Newtown" ? [​IMG]

Pick a name you like OP, think about what the city represents, where is it located, whats the story of the city?

18. freezingfeathers

freezingfeathers Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well to make a game epic, it MUST MUST MUST based on a something, usually historical. 

Here's some hint~

1. What theme will your world be? Medieval? Asian? Modern? (I know it's SAO and NGNL, but in this fantasy theme, what history will be based on?)

If Medieval, maybe some French-like names? (I'm weak in this part of history ;_; )

If Asian and it's Japan, you could use the direct English to Japan translation, but careful, some people may directly bash you as a "weeabo", people usually does it when someone just say a "senpaiiiiiiiiii~~~~", regardless you get your knowledge of Japan outside from Anime, etc. So use it but don't overdo it.

If Asian and Chinese, how bout something related to "the 3 kingdoms", "monkey king" and "Water Margin"? It's has A LOTTTTTT of resource for you to obtain from there. ^^

If modern, scientific name perhaps? Like sp.anoema, etc etc.

3. The naming of all the town MUST be in a certain pattern. Find your own pattern. Try to make it noticable and meaningful ^^

Hope this helps~ Good luck in creating it!

SKGaming likes this.
  19. DamianFatale

DamianFatale Chocobo Knight Member

First Language:
    English
    Bobobboboboboboboboboboba Village

SKGaming likes this.
  20. Rogue Milk

Rogue Milk Veteran Veteran

• Alface
    • Bune
    • Sora