Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello peoples! So do you guys use TP in your projects? If so, do you have it start at 0 (upon entering combat), 50 (half), 100 (full), or perhaps it's dependent on a stat? In my game, I made it so that starting TP depends on the unit's ratio between their LUK (aka Speed in my game) to their level. So basically, units that are faster start w/ more TP while slower units start w/ less. A unit w/ "average" Speed would get 50TP at the start of a battle. Just curious how yall do it.

Do you prefer to treat TP like "Rage" where it starts at 0 but builds upon attacking or getting hit? Or like "Energy" where it starts at 100 but regens a bit per turn. I personally use something in between where starting TP depends on the ratio of the user's LUK (Speed) vs level so that faster units would start w/ more TP while slower units start with less. A unit w/ "average" speed would start w/ 50 TP. I also made it so that units gain +8TP when using a normal attack, but don't gain TP upon getting hit. I also only have 2 sources in the game that can alter TP regen: 1) a passive that can grant up to +5TP per turn (5 ranks w/ +1 each) and also Plate armor, which drains TP per turn (-2 for body slot, -1 for all other slots, total of -5 per turn).

Just wanted to see what y'all do in your projects. Happy Thanksgiving!
Edit: Or maybe you use TP in a totally different fashion?

Last edited:

wrigty12

Just a QAer playing with Javascript
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I use "TP" in an semi-Energy fashion, but I've done some coding to make it act more as a Party-wide resource (so 1 overall TP value across the entire party). Party members can then use what I'll call "Party Skills" that will use up the party's pool of TP. If you know Paper Mario's battle system by chance, compare it to Star Power.

In general, my party's TP starts out as max, and regenerates a bit each time they are hit, or use a skill to specifically increase it. The current value is preserved between battles. Healing can also restore to full TP in my game.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
For now, I only plan to use TP in the most common way: giving the player an ultimate attack once it reaches 100. Player will gain TP just by attacking or getting hit or even guarding, but maybe not from using items (not sure yet). It's like a meter of how desperate the characters are, when battles drag out for too long. TP will be reset to 0 after a battle, so this is mostly useful for boss battles. But I might change my mind later. Maybe it will be used for a combined team attack, perhaps?

I'm still in the planning stage so anything can change. Let's see what the others say. XP

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i use TP as ammunition of Archer & Gunner character (not the other)

my skill always using Ammo and started with 0 Ammo (you can't Shot or perform Archery/Gunner Attack,but you can melee).

There has skill that you can replenish the Ammo,but i'm not make it because i have make it realistic (you need Ammo Item to replenish it)

Ammo Item has 3:
  1. Ammo Pouch (Add 10 Ammo)
  2. Ammo Bag (Add 50 Ammo)
  3. Ammo Box (Add 100 Ammo)
Also,i make the Accessory (i call it Oddwares) that you can regenerate 10 Ammo per turn (Seem Unrealistic but i'm okay with that)

Speaking of gauge,it showed if you equip Archery Weapons or Guns

Maliki79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I use TP similarly to the way it is used in the Wild Arms series.
Basically the gauge is used for unique moves in 25 point increments.
The 25 and 50 point moves are usually stack-able in some way to encourage frequent and thoughtful use.

For example, my main magic user has a 25 TP move which increases her MAT by 25% for the next spell she casts.
If she uses the skill again, the boost goes up to 50%.
Then 100% and finally 200%.
(The drawback to this is two fold, it takes that percentage longer to cast a spell and it exposes her to a stun which cancels both the spell and the buff.)

TheGameBrewery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm attempting to use TP for the first time. Treating it like a Limit Break or Overdrive-style skill. Early tests have it working great when used along with Yanfly's EnhancedTP plugin in MV.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I implemented a tiny bit of coding to grant actors automatically-refilling TP each turn based on their AGI (with an average amount being about 15 per turn). Having done that, I also set the TP gain for all actions to 0, though I didn't remove TP Charging by damage taken which I think is a sort of neat feature.

At the beginning of each battle, I set each character's TP to 20 + (1 turn's worth of refill).

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I initially made it randomized but my players have complained as it is like a gacha.
Now, I still made it randomized but also preserve half of it.

My max TP is 50, if you finish the battle in 50 TP, in the next battle you will have 25 TP + random number up to 5. I do have a plan to make the TP reduced each time you walk. Not sure how that will work out, but it sounds like a solid plan.

I don't have MP. TP is the only resource I use.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This one has renamed TP to stamina and it is naturally attained via your agility stat by walking around or doing most things in combat! (buildup from taking damage has been stabbed, since that would not make sense to this system, and I am all about the making of the sense! Rubber ducky!)

Stamina, like HP, also affects your accuracy and evasion, so having low stamina/health will turn your natural 150% chance to hit into a 90%, 75%, or even a 30%! This is done by multiplying your chance to hit by your maximum of those stats and then dividing it by the current of those stats. Power to the maths! And this concept applies to the enemies as well. So injuring things has a natural effect in battle! Steal my ideas!

Good day mortal.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is done by multiplying your chance to hit by your maximum of those stats and then dividing it by the current of those stats!
Shouldn't it should be the other way around?: Hit * CurrentStam / MaxStam

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You are correct! I have knife in brain!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm moving on from RMXP finally. I've been stuck in a difficult decision between XP and MZ, and I've given up and moved on to MZ. Overall I'm really liking it, I wish tilesets were easier to setup like XP, but it's actually not that bad!
Have you ever gone full 'Ship of Theseus' while frankenspriting? Because I just did.
I saw my new eye doctor today, he reminds me of Satoru Iwata for some reason
I've been using a modified version of a script called Multiple Messages. It makes my text boxes look like a Mario & Luigi game! There is something about it that bothers me a little bit, but I shouldn't worry about that now.

Side note, Mist's walking animation is almost perfectly in sync with Loose Yourself by Eminem.
Starting work on some stuff for the community. Hopefully it will be fun, and useful to somebody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nick7626