Stat Growth Items not usable on "guest actors"?

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So my problem is relatively simple, in my game you sometimes obtain rare stat growth items, you know, the kind that raises a characters strenght by 1 for example. And then the item is used up.
(Basically, your typical run-of-the-mill stat growth item)

And at certain points in the game you have temporary characters in your party that fight with your group.
But since these are only temporary and leave your party at a later time, it would not be logical to give
them any stat growth items as these would effectively be wasted after their departure.

How should I approach this problem?

Is there any way to fix this problem on a mechanical level (i.e. make these items unusable on guest characters)?

Or should I just put this responsibility into the players hand? For context, the first time you have "guests" join your party, I make it clear to the player that these will not stay for long.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the default solution would be to make the effect into a common event with conditional branches instead of a direct effect.
then you could check in the common event who is the target (for example by state) and if it is the wrong one, no effect but regaining the potion that had been consumed.

Unisoft

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Andar’s solution is relatively easy to implement.
Alternatively, Yanfly’s Target Core may be able to help, if you’re able to work with JavaScript, but I’ve not explored it thoroughly. You can ‘lunatic mode’ and create a custom item tag that can evaluate whether something is targetable. You may be able to eval based on the presence of a state.
http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Target_Core_(YEP)

Personally, I don’t see a problem with letting the player ‘waste’ it and (we hope) learning from the experience!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

KenKrath wrote on RPGMakerWeb's profile.
Nevermind.
I found a book about game localization. It costs R$708,00 on Amazon. ;_;
I really wish my game was far enough along for it to be actually playable beyond certain aspects. I think I've crafted a really fun battle system thanks to ATB, fighting game, and Boost point mechanics.
Play test of my current progress on Happy Camper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhayes