State Change Animations

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

Would you like to provide some visual indication that a state has been added or removed?
By default, when a state is added, there isn't really any visual indication beyond a little icon in your party menu, or a little icon over the enemy's head.
If you're using the side-view battle system, you could potentially add some side-view overlays to show the state.

However, what happens if you have neither overlays nor icons? And there's no message that says "State was added" or "stated was removed"?

This plugin gives you the tools to play some animations when your state changes!

More information and downloads available at HimeWorks

harvard1932

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
instead of having state change animation... isn't animation states better? :p Just loop animation in order to see which animation your character currently have <-- contains all of the information you need.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
instead of having state change animation... isn't animation states better? :p Just loop animation in order to see which animation your character currently have <-- contains all of the information you need.
Take for example the shield breaking in my video. When would that occur, if it was a looping animation?

harvard1932

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Take for example the shield breaking in my video. When would that occur, if it was a looping animation?
looping animation only shows current activated states. However, players will tell when a state disappeared, because the animation for that state wouldn't be there anymore :p

looping animation constantly reminds player which state they have on, without having to remember which animation "was" activated.

Sample: https://youtu.be/7mG2SoTYlI8?t=32

look at how animation loops on the character in a loop when that state is in effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like Harvards idea. Yanfly had a script in VX/VXA that did the same thing. But I wonder what that would do for lag? Curious as to what would happen if you have enough states on all the battlers on the screen. 

Either way, the plugin would prove useful.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
looping animation only shows current activated states. However, players will tell when a state disappeared, because the animation for that state wouldn't be there anymore :p

looping animation constantly reminds player which state they have on, without having to remember which animation "was" activated.

Sample: https://youtu.be/7mG2SoTYlI8?t=32

look at how animation loops on the character in a loop when that state is in effect.
Having an animation looping would be useful. I will look at how loops could be done while the state is active. It would be similar to state overlays except, for more general animations.

But I wouldn't say it's necessarily better than on-add or on-remove. In particular, the purpose mnay not necessarily be to indicate whether something exists. After all like you said it only plays at the beginning or end of the state.

For example, if you're using a plugin that allows you to create more advanced animations like these when a particular state is added, it would likely improve your game's battle flow by a lot.

Naturally, you could always just loop the shiny animation for the duration of the state, but what about the beginning and end?

Not that I'm hinting a new plugin or anything.

I like Harvards idea. Yanfly had a script in VX/VXA that did the same thing. But I wonder what that would do for lag? Curious as to what would happen if you have enough states on all the battlers on the screen. 

Either way, the plugin would prove useful.
There will probably be some lag unless there was a more efficient way to process animations. On this 5-year-old vista machine it's already lagging when I try to record the video while playing 4 state animations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.
The only thing getting me through today so far is coffee. And lots of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DerLaPux