Buulord

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm looking to create a set of skills that add states(buffs) for a character in my game, but I don't want these states to be able to be active together.

Example: Adding a fire buff state to Actor 1 should prevent them from being able to add a water buff state.

Ideally, you would have to remove the first buff before adding the second using a separate skill. These are all based on elements, five in total, with the elements having different levels.

Example: Fire buff 1 - +25% atk, Fire buff 2 +30% atk

Earth buff 1 - +25% def, Fire buff 2 +30% def

The problem I'm having is figure out how to get the game to tell what state/buff the actor already has on, if any, and either prevent them from adding another or add it if they have none. I'm not sure how best to do this short of making separate common events for all 15 of the planed states. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

RLFHOG3

Survivor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What I did for something similar in my game was adding a state removal function to the skill.

For example, my regen skill, when cast on a character (or enemy) adds the regen state and removes the poison state. And vice versa, if poison is applied, it automatically removes the regen state.

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 1.15.48 PM.png

So in your example, just create different states for all your buffs and trigger them through skills.

And when the skill is used, add an effect that says it removes the other states. That way, no matter the state or lack-there-of, your new state will be the only one left after the skill is used.

so after everything's said and done, your skill should look something like this:

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 1.24.55 PM.png

Yeah, there might be an easier way to do it. But this is the best way i can think of without resorting to plugins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buulord

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank so much for the help! I feel like an idiot for missing that, it totally cleared up my problem with a lot less work than I thought it would take. Everything has been running pretty well so far with no issues. 

RLFHOG3

Survivor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awesome! glad I could help!

and no worries. I miss small stuff too. I'm still learning this whole thing myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Mystery messages from my AI assistant. :kaojoy:
1632842960834.png
Made some updates to a previous project I was working on. Trying to mimic the 16 bit Squaresoft aesthetic.

Me (last Thursday): So, now I will...
Random Virus: NO
It's important to equip your GF.
vufFBXN.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bopfog