RMMV Static Pixel Art as Enemies in Siveview?

How do you feel about it?

• It's an okay idea!

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • It's not an okay idea...

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As title says. I don't have a game yet and I don't have enough stuff to warrant my own thread in the In Development forum, so I'm posting here for now.

While what I'm making is what would be my first game, I want to make as much of my own assets as possible. This will include enemies. But as I am going to use sideview battling and my fights will have a decent amount of Action Sequences in them, I'm not so sure if it's reasonable to only hae static sprites or make them animated. What do you guys feel about that aesthetic?

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly I don't mind static enemies. Normally what I plan to do with my games is to have normal enemies be static and then have more important enemies, like bosses, be partially or fully animated. You could also just start of with everything being static and then making animations once you have more of the game complete. The cool thing is you can always change it later if you want to. :kaopride:

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are a few Plugins that make even Static Battlers move around slightly or give them Floating, Breathing or Flying animation. Those are perfectly fine really.. Infact if you use these effects, It doesn't feel much different from using Animated battlers.

You could even go to the extent of giving your Enemies "Hurt" sounds and "Attack" sounds, "Change" colors when they reach % Life and these things makes them appear more life-like. I like Static battlers over Animated ones, Animated ones sometimes seem too robotic for me.

Overall, I think its about how good Battlers fit into the Landscape, Game and Theme. Avoid blending in multiple styles (Pixel Art with Non Pixel Art Background or Characters or Objects or Animations) and it should be ok.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If drawing sprite upon sprite seems like a daunting task, you could also go the Dragonbones route since you're drawing static images.

Sanrie

Potato Head
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bisaya
Primarily Uses
RMMV
well you can go with static pixel enemies but bigger instead of those chibi ones, you can also use dragon bones.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's perfectly fine - people understand that's how RPG Maker goes, and it can still be really fun to battle if your battle mechanics are done well.

If your game gets really popular and you want to invest the extra effort (and time and possibly money) to make it perfect, you can always work on fully-animated sideview enemies much, much later on.

As a decent compromise in the middle, you can also add Yanfly's excellent Animated Sideview Enemies plugin to your project, and "animate" your static pixel art a bit with automatically-generated effects like "breathing".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

And back. Trying to work online with no internet for 1.5 days was...interesting. I felt like a character in a old Sierra game trying to find internet due to all the hoops I had to jump through just to get online for work.
grief... if MV didn't have certain plugins already, I think I'd upgrade to MZ. seeing like 10 MV plugins in 1 MZ one is hilariously convenient lol.
Have you already checkes out my mapping tutorial on the blog? I would love to hear your feedback and things you'd like to see in the future!

one of character for my upcoming game idk how to design o_O

Designing patches that can 'augmented' to clothing based armor. Such good fun. A bit time consuming due to the need to create image displays, but the patches are limited so it's not too tiring.
Note: lol, posting this made me find a couple mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilKeepItReal