Status and Informing the Player

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I'm coming up with more off brand status effects(states) or at least more out there than the standard ones presented in base game. So this gives me a bit of a problem.

How to inform the player about what they do.

Oh I'm sure there's a plug in or event you could run but that's not the point of this topic, I'd go ask that in the proper place. No what I'm asking here is brainstorming ways to inform the player. There's a couple ways I've thought about but unsure as to how acceptable or viable they are as a player to use.

1) Some sort of command in battle to get a listing of what they do, though this will have to not take a turn to be viable.

2) Reminder Text on the Attack, though this prevents adding flavor text of any kind to them.

3) Easiest but most boring way is a glossary of some kind but this is also the most tedious to set up as a dev and to use as a player. That and it's ability to be used in combat is also... iffy.

To those that go nuts with home made States/Statuses, how do you inform the player of what they do, and how do you remind them if they forget?

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I... use a glossary -_-. Its just a Common Event but I use a Common Event Status plugin to help it show up on the main menu. Another I inform the player is by having some npc say stuff like, "Yea i was in the woods and this weird lizard was just standing there. When it looked at me, i couldn't move. It's like I was paralyzed!" or "Then the monster hit me with this elemental attack that drenched me to the bone. The follow up lightning attack it used about made me pass out. i just felt exhausted.

You could also do the explorers version and put the information in books that the player can interact with. This method would allow you to use icons as well so that the status effects would be more noticeable to the player.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have a dedicated window to tell what the status does in the battle scene that you're free to open and close it. Every boss status, buff, or debuff is unique to them. Glossary won't do if you won't encounter them next time.

Essentially, I use the first approach on your listing.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Depending on how complex and especially how many states you're putting into the game, a more concise explanation would be much appreciated.

For example, instead of throwing a bunch of state names at the player like "Curse" or "Mindblow", why not have the actual state names be what effect is unleashed upon the player or enemy?

Instead of poison, name the state "-10% Hp Slip Damage" or "-10% HP Per Turn"
Instead of blind, name it "-60% Hit Rate"

It's good to show what effect a skill may inflict in the skill's description too, not just in the name like the above. With that, people will be remembering what skills and stats do, instead of keeping an eye out for a name that may or may not make sense. The state icon will also have to show the above in a way that's easy for the player to read. Like, an accuracy lowering state could have an icon of an eye with a red x over it.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Depending on how complex and especially how many states you're putting into the game, a more concise explanation would be much appreciated.

For example, instead of throwing a bunch of state names at the player like "Curse" or "Mindblow", why not have the actual state names be what effect is unleashed upon the player or enemy?

Instead of poison, name the state "-10% Hp Slip Damage" or "-10% HP Per Turn"
Instead of blind, name it "-60% Hit Rate"

It's good to show what effect a skill may inflict in the skill's description too, not just in the name like the above. With that, people will be remembering what skills and stats do, instead of keeping an eye out for a name that may or may not make sense. The state icon will also have to show the above in a way that's easy for the player to read. Like, an accuracy lowering state could have an icon of an eye with a red x over it.
I get what you say but at the same time I look at those kinds of info boxes and my mind blanks out like I'm looking at a spread sheet myself.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Currently, I'm adding a Passives command in battle, for all characters, that lists all the current buffs and passive effects that are active during that turn on the currently selected character. It'll also group similar effects together into one, so it doesn't become a long list of duplicate effects (like if there are two +20% Attack boosts on a character, it'll be listed as a +40% Attack boost in the passive for them). It's some work to set it up correctly, but it helps give valuble information during the player turn.

AfroKat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think Glossary is better for simple stuff aka poison, blind, silence.

But for games with strong use if status effects, buffs and debuffs an option to see what it is in battle is absolutely needed.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Currently, I'm adding a Passives command in battle, for all characters, that lists all the current buffs and passive effects that are active during that turn on the currently selected character. It'll also group similar effects together into one, so it doesn't become a long list of duplicate effects (like if there are two +20% Attack boosts on a character, it'll be listed as a +40% Attack boost in the passive for them). It's some work to set it up correctly, but it helps give valuble information during the player turn.
I'll probably need to do something like that or make the status effects and icons so different it's clear what they do and aren't confused.

But trying to make a system mid battle is kinda annoying for me(new to javascript)

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Combination of a glossary that activates via hotkey on the overworld and a scan system for me. Instant cast too, so it doesn't take up any time for the player to check during battle.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll probably need to do something like that or make the status effects and icons so different it's clear what they do and aren't confused.

But trying to make a system mid battle is kinda annoying for me(new to javascript)
No plugins. Event commands can handle the job easily.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Combination of a glossary that activates via hotkey on the overworld and a scan system for me. Instant cast too, so it doesn't take up any time for the player to check during battle.
Probably a combination is the best way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:
I am so hyped! A new post update and im anxious to see reactions..eeeeeeee
When a youtuber plays your project or game made by you using MAKERs, you will just be awe struck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deli