SpicyNoodleStudios

Aspiring Vigilante
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What do you think about fear as a status effect?

In my current project I have it as an effect that acts like a distracting and hesitation causing factor, reducing the chance to hit and the damage dealt by the person who is scared.

I could also see Fear working as sort of a taunt against certain enemies. They react to fear by acting more aggressively and are prone to make more mistakes in their fear. I think it could also be used to uncover hidden enemies, making them reveal themselves with their fear.

What are some ways you have seen the Fear effect? What are some ways you would use the fear effect or implement it into your own game?

EDIT: There's a cool quote from Twilight Princess that goes well in contrast to this effect.

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage."

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
I love that kinda physic like in Eternal Darkness and the Don't Starve series.

If you are inspired, DO EEEEEEET~! like would say a good developer.

Lemonrice

Mother tuna
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh that is an interesting idea. I've seen people close their eyes when trying to catch a spider or something is flying towards them, so I can see fear lowering the hit. How do you plan to implement it, are you displaying the monsters on screen and change their movement behavior?

It could also influence the movement of the player. Think of horror movies where the protagonist is frozen in fear while the monster, zombie, ghost whatever is moving towards them. You could also think about limiting their sight resulting in lower sight radius or, if you are using things like a guidance system where you highlight items that can be taken or interacted with, reduce that guidance. You may also think about limiting the characters skills.

Keep in mind, that all of these are penalties. You are punishing the the protagonist for being scared and therefore punishing the player so there should be a compensation for being scared to lower frustration that might come up.

SpicyNoodleStudios

Aspiring Vigilante
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That all sounds awesome, but I'm working with the built in turn based system. It will be a simple debuff lasting for around 3 to 4 turns, for now.

Based on what you said, if it were an arpg, I would probably do something like... slow the characters move speed and attack speed by -10 percent or something. And every couple of attacks, they would hesitate and only halfway attack then jump back instead or something.

Lemonrice

Mother tuna
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh shoot it even says status effect on the title, somehow I thought it's an effect the player gains in general while playing :kaoswt:

In that case forget what I said about the penalty, status effects just feel different. I still think limiting abilities could work nicely.
Maybe fear blocks every ability that brings the character close to the enemy like a swordattack because the character refuses to go near the enemy. You could have a physically weak character hide behind someone else, forcing a guard command (though that would require plug-ins to make it look good.)
You could make the effect stack and add a new condition like "if stacked three times the character flees from the battle". If you have someone on your party who is able to inflict fear onto the enemy, make it stack and force the enemy out of battle.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What are some ways you have seen the Fear effect?
In XCOM, when your party member is badly injured during the mission, they may have a trauma effect in the next mission. The trauma effect is not immediately affected. But when the enemies started to appear more, it may start doing random action, and you're unable to control them for a certain turn (generally 1 ~ 2 turns). They can do many things include randomly shot the enemy (which if you're lucky, it can actually kill them) or move into a random spot.

And then there's one thing called phobia. I got one when a character got hit and almost died when encountered a robot enemy. The effect is their attack is reduced if attacking a robot unit. I don't exactly remember the exact effect, but it was a cool mechanic.

To clear the trauma effect, you have to complete the mission and the member who has trauma effect doesn't take any damage. Afaik, phobia can't be cured, or if there is a way, I forgot how.

What are some ways you would use the fear effect or implement it into your own game?
While it's a cool mechanic. I don't implement it in my current game. As the main game loop requires you to have full control of the action input. If I make a game, the game content is randomly generated for both stages and party member, I may consider to put a fear effect.

SpicyNoodleStudios

Aspiring Vigilante
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Lemonrice I see that working out well. Certain skills can't be used at all because they would make the character feel as if they were in too much danger. Fear works in interesting ways!

@TheoAllen Oh man Xcom really digs deep doesn't it? They must take those serious battle wounds into real consideration to have effects like trauma! Your combat is suuuuuper good, whatever you're doing with combat, keep doing it, fear implementation or not.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Fear is from my experience, belong to the higher-tier list in dangerous debuffs that's just below Doom/Petrification/KO, since it has a mental crippling effect that should outweigh minor physical annoyances like blindness and poison.

Fear/Terror in Sekiro...kills you instantly and it was (understandably) frowned upon, while in Persona a character under Fear will not move at all or worse, randomly flee from the battle - these are pretty much the most unforgiving effects you can do with Fear.

Mercifully, you can just make it so the affected character may refuse to attack a certain enemy type, simply have massively reduced attack, unable to perform some complex actions, or take additional damage from whatever that's causing them fear.

Last edited:

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm planning a Fear status effect on my game, but haven't implement or tested nothing yet.
In my case, I plan to make it affect quite a range of params (like reducing Attack, Hit Rate, Evasion and Agility, and maaaaaaybe slightly buffing/debuffing Defense). Something else I'd like to test is to make frightened characters automatically cancel an attack and rollback to Guard depending of the selected target (not so fearful of lesser enemies, but definitely not charging a boss or other big bads).

SpicyNoodleStudios

Aspiring Vigilante
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@CraneSoft Whoa! That's some strong fear. So, what if your game had an ultra high-level character, like someone from a popular RPG franchise? Would you still use your own personal experience? "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear." Mark Twain.

@taaspider How much do you think it would reduce their stats by? A lot?

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I'll need to test (probably a lot) to come up with the actual effects. I want it to be meaningful, but I also don't want it to be too punishing (in my opinion, there must always be a strategy out of it). But for now I'm thinking on medium debuff on Attack and Hit Rate (if you're shaking you can't attack properly), and low debuff on Agility and Evasion (if you're nervous, you may get a bit sloppy).
I'm considering giving a small buff to defense to lower the overall effect, but I haven't decided yet (you may get more worried about protecting yourself than usual, maybe? :unsure:). I'll probably test a few variations until I'm settled.

I'm considering having it as a secondary effect for some skills. So you would have a not that great damage dealing skill that can frighten the target (or maybe his partners), but gain an advantage over the next few turns.
Also, I'm considering having enemy levels as well, with limiting level range over specific locations. So if you are in a way higher level than your enemies you have a chance of them being automatically affected by fear at the start of the battle (the same goes for your party if you go against a troop much stronger than you).
But again, haven't tested those ideas yet (I'm currently working on a few battle customizations of my own, I'll work on states and skills after that is done).

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SpicyNoodleStudios I would simply make a character immune to fear completely if it doesn't make sense for their characterization (ie. a real robot, the undead etc.) - but otherwise Fear would be treated just like any other dangerous debuff you'd rather take countermeasures to prevent rather than trying to cure it after being already succumbed to it. It does have great potential though, as I have a whole dungeon planned out utilizing fear not just as a deadly status effect but also as a core mechanic.

Wyrelade

Wyrelade - The one and only.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finland
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Fear should have a chance to just make your character refuse to do any action (because it makes the character shocked in place) maybe if it would be possible, code only the feared character leave the battlezone for rest of the fight (flee the fight and leave your team hanging)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some more Haunting Ground! Today, we encounter a new stalker! Feel free to drop by!
Tried the new Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus today. Very nice device overall, but flagship smartphone prices are getting completely out of control.
Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. I feel like I have the exact opposite interests in storytelling as everyone else.
You know what really grinds my gears? Websites that block your access completely if you have an AdBlocker on...

I would rather skip the site than endure some popups that may give me a gnarly virus!
Guys this thread is so good and you should be reading it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arlesrnes